OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformed_Protestant  (Read 659 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »

I find myself liking and co-operating with Reformed Protestant Christians - If I can develop a spiritual ethos then form a doctrinal belief system that really works in terms of Reformed Protestant Christianity.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:36:45 PM by WPM » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

I find myself liking and co-operating with Reformed Protestant Christians - If I can develop a spiritual ethos then form a doctrinal belief system that really works in terms of Reformed Protestant Christianity.

Ummm, is there any common ground between Orthodoxy and Reformed Protestants?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »

Are Reformed Protestants those who have stopped protesting or just changed the way they protest? (I'm seriously curious.)

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »

Are Reformed Protestants those who have stopped protesting or just changed the way they protest? (I'm seriously curious.)

9:15-16:30

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyheterodoxy/the_classical_reformation_-_part_3_specifici_denominations

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

9:15-16:30

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyheterodoxy/the_classical_reformation_-_part_3_specifici_denominations

Thanks!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »

They are easier to talk to (from my experience) than fundamentalists who are so emotional based in their theology.

Thank you.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

No offense, but reformed Protestantism--more specifically, Calvinism--is probably the worst filth the bear the name of Christianity that has ever been born. There is no common ground between us at all except for the mere name "Christian". The only good thing about them though is that they are at least somewhat more open to theological dialogue (whereas Evangelical-Fundamentalists are more emotionally driven), however, even then I have noticed that reformed Protestants of the Calvinist camp can be very stubborn and militantly won't budge at all, even when you've made a point. Why not have dialogue with Lutherans? They are easily the best Protestants there are who are probably the most openminded and honest out of them all. Methodists can also be some pretty good people sometimes--very humble from my experience--and they also have a concept of salvation that is somewhat similar to Orthodox Theosis.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:11:06 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Works for me bro. Fist bump?  Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »

Hello, WPM (fear not, I know who you are  Wink )

I would be careful about jumping around to different belief systems so quickly and easily. It will only add more confusion into your life. I know that you cannot travel easily, so I would recommend emailing the priest at St Barbara for some guidance. He will be happy to help you. Orthodoxy has been your home, and I really hope that you allow it to remain your home. I continue to pray for you, my friend.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

No offense, but reformed Protestantism--more specifically, Calvinism--is probably the worst filth the bear the name of Christianity that has ever been born. There is no common ground between us at all except for the mere name "Christian". The only good thing about them though is that they are at least somewhat more open to theological dialogue (whereas Evangelical-Fundamentalists are more emotionally driven), however, even then I have noticed that reformed Protestants of the Calvinist camp can be very stubborn and militantly won't budge at all, even when you've made a point. Why not have dialogue with Lutherans? They are easily the best Protestants there are who are probably the most openminded and honest out of them all. Methodists can also be some pretty good people sometimes--very humble from my experience--and they also have a concept of salvation that is somewhat similar to Orthodox Theosis.

It depends on the type of Calvinist you speak with. Some are very stubborn, especially from the more fundamentalist sects of Reformed Christianity. However, generally, Classically Reformed Protestants (I'm excluding big, mainstream groups like the PC(USA) and others) are rather knowledgeable, much moreso than the post-modern mainline churches as well as the emotional evangelicals you mention.

While Calvinism is a condemned heresy, I have an intellectual respect for Reformed Protestants that I give to no other Protestant group, on either side of the spectrum. They're intellectual, internally consistent and honest. Really more than I can say for any other Christian sect from after 1517 (except, probably, for Anglo-Catholics, who are the dearest Protestants to my heart).

You may say I'm biased (I'm sure I am), but it's so true that many Reformed Protestants become Orthodox. I was one, and I've met a great deal of former Calvinists since I converted, and I think that's in large part due to the intellectual integrity common among many Calvinists that allows them to analyze an argument logically and follow through. This is much less likely to happen in the mind of a mainline or evangelical Christian.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »

It depends on the type of Calvinist you speak with. Some are very stubborn, especially from the more fundamentalist sects of Reformed Christianity. However, generally, Classically Reformed Protestants (I'm excluding big, mainstream groups like the PC(USA) and others) are rather knowledgeable, much moreso than the post-modern mainline churches as well as the emotional evangelicals you mention.

While Calvinism is a condemned heresy, I have an intellectual respect for Reformed Protestants that I give to no other Protestant group, on either side of the spectrum. They're intellectual, internally consistent and honest. Really more than I can say for any other Christian sect from after 1517 (except, probably, for Anglo-Catholics, who are the dearest Protestants to my heart).

You may say I'm biased (I'm sure I am), but it's so true that many Reformed Protestants become Orthodox. I was one, and I've met a great deal of former Calvinists since I converted, and I think that's in large part due to the intellectual integrity common among many Calvinists that allows them to analyze an argument logically and follow through. This is much less likely to happen in the mind of a mainline or evangelical Christian.

While I was never Reformed, I agree with this completely. Over the past year I've spent quite a bit of time around educated Reformed Protestants and I have a great deal of respect for them, even through the disagreements. Some do, perhaps as the result of intellectual pride, end up condescending toward anything not Reformed, but most are pretty respectful of others.

Greatly prefer them over the Baptists, Nazarenes, and other various evangelicals that I grew up around.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »

Hello, WPM (fear not, I know who you are  Wink )

I would be careful about jumping around to different belief systems so quickly and easily. It will only add more confusion into your life. I know that you cannot travel easily, so I would recommend emailing the priest at St Barbara for some guidance. He will be happy to help you. Orthodoxy has been your home, and I really hope that you allow it to remain your home. I continue to pray for you, my friend.

Well, thanks at least my identity on the internet forums is finally converging with IRL. Real Life
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: