OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 07:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ending and conclusion of 2 Maccabees  (Read 492 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 24, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »

38: And if I have done well, and as is fitting the story, it is that which I desired: but if slenderly and meanly, it is that which I could attain unto.
39: For as it is hurtful to drink wine or water alone; and as wine mingled with water is pleasant, and delighteth the taste: even so speech finely framed delighteth the ears of them that read the story. And here shall be an end

Is the author of 2 Maccabees try to tell the people that he has add some imagine stories with the history , so not all the things that take down in 2 Maccabees is correct in the ending?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:28:42 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »

I think he is boasting that he wrote it very well. "Speech finely framed" and all that.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:28:32 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »

It could be a "Big Fish" type scenario where it is BASED on true events but some is intended to be allegory.  Which would certainly explain a lot

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

38: And if I have done well, and as is fitting the story, it is that which I desired: but if slenderly and meanly, it is that which I could attain unto.
39: For as it is hurtful to drink wine or water alone; and as wine mingled with water is pleasant, and delighteth the taste: even so speech finely framed delighteth the ears of them that read the story. And here shall be an end

Is the author of 2 Maccabees try to tell the people that he has add some imagine stories with the history , so not all the things that take down in 2 Maccabees is correct in the ending?
He said that he framed the story well, he doesnt say he added in fake parts. He could have "framed" the story by giving background and context from related events and religious ideas, for example. The water and wine part could be adding in real events and real religious ideas that are outside the main ones he focused on.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »

Scripture is inspired by God. We are not, however, under the illusion that it is a direct dictation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »

Scripture is inspired by God. We are not, however, under the illusion that it is a direct dictation.
I saw a youtube clip by an evangelical group portraying Moses or another of the Old Testament righteous being inspired to write the scriptures, and they showed him talking to people in a normal way and then go into a robotic stupor and stutter words that the people around him wrote down. This conception of prophecy would be like glossolalia but with words that make sense. However, it appears to disagree with the way Church fathers imagined the scriptures being written, which was sane and self-controlled.

Personally, I think that alot of the Bible, despite being inspired, would be written down in a very sane, self-controlled way, like narratives of current events in ancient times.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:33:17 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:05:11 AM »

This is a terrible apologetic IMO and a weak one.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »

This is a terrible apologetic IMO and a weak one.
How would you say it better?
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

The clip I referred to was "Ancient Secrets of the Bible: the Ark of the Covenant"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwOHw7AgVc
A "dictation" scene is at 6:00 in the clip.'

Interestingly, one of the speakers in the film uses the inside of an Orthodox church as a backdrop, probably without explanation.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:59:45 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: