OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When are your Christmas services?  (Read 919 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »

Help me clarify something:

One thing that bothered me about protestantism is that a lot of protestants dont seem to celebrate Christmas.  I mean, sure the gather with family on December 25th and open presents, but on Dec 26th, its over.  Another thing is that they never seemed to have service on Christmas day.  And last year (maybe it was the year before. dont remember) when Christmas fell on a Sunday, a lot of churches cancelled Church which I found quite appalling. 

I was surprised to see at my parish that we arent having liturgy on December 25th in the morning.  But then again, I guess we technically are.  We are having our Christmas Compline this evening from 9-11, then liturgy at 11 and that will go into the morning of the 25th.  Then we are having a feast afterwards. 

This is my first Orthodox Christmas, but I understand that our times are a little different than some.  We are actually having Compline and Liturgy a little earlier than normal this year, but everything has gone through the Bishop and has been cleared.  I just wanted to see how your service times compared. (not that it REALLY matters, but im curious.)  Also, does anyone have liturgy in the morning on the 25th? Like a regular morning time, not middle of the night.  (9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, etc.)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

In my parish, there's Vigil tonight (Great Compline and Mattins) and Liturgy and Carols tomorrow at 10:30.

Honestly, I miss the hours in Greece, where Liturgy starts 5-ish and we were home by 9. I fully understand that the climate here is rather prohibitive for that, but I still miss it.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »

In an OCA church we often visit, they have vigil tonight at 5, and liturgy tomorrow at 9:30.

Our Eastern Catholic church has the same schedule except our vigil starts at 7:30, so we're going to both! :-)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

Interesting. It seems the normal practice is to have Liturgy the following morning.  I wonder why we are having all of our services at night? I should ask my Priest.

KatherineOfDixie attends my parish. (or I attend her parish... im still fairly new!)  Maybe she could shed some light on this if she sees this!

I dont particularly mind that theyre all tonight, but I hope my non-Orthodox wife isnt too turned off by the 4 hour service! Im super excited about it though!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:50:23 AM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »

wow, she gets a medal from me if she goes for a 4 hour service!
often people with non orthodox family go a bit later.

i am looking forward to our service (as God wills, i am going to my 'home' church to see Godparents and family), starting 8pm, and liturgy continuing till after midnight,
then communal breaking of fast with yummy north african food!
it's not till 6/7 th january, but i find it easier to have time off from work then, so that's ok.
i have taken all day off on 7th to recover!
 Wink
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »

ive considered going a bit later, but I really want to be there for the whole Christmas compline as I have never seen it before.  I told her she doesnt have to come, but I think she wants to.  Shes not particularly looking forward to the length of the services though... I pray she sees the beauty in all of it and it somehow, despite the length, draws her closer to Orthodoxy.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

I'm out of town, so I'll have to be attending the local Latin parish's Midnight Mass. Not that that's a bad thing. I'll have to read Vespers and Orthros at home, though.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

ive considered going a bit later, but I really want to be there for the whole Christmas compline as I have never seen it before.  I told her she doesnt have to come, but I think she wants to.  Shes not particularly looking forward to the length of the services though... I pray she sees the beauty in all of it and it somehow, despite the length, draws her closer to Orthodoxy.
she could always bring a book / electronic gadget and slip out the back to use it if she gets bored. often churches have a baby room and maybe she could go there to read her book or play with peoples' children.
churches with nearby shops have also proved useful for me in the past!
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

We had Royal Hours and the Vesperal Liturgy of St. Basil this morning and have Holy Supper and Vigil tonight.  We have liturgy in the morning at 9am.  Then I am going home and going to bed since I have to work all night tonight and tomorrow night and will have been up for 24 hours before I get to bed tomorrow.  But I wouldn't miss it for anything.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »

VDL (St Basil) at 6:30 (most of us are not happy that our priest set it that late); Orthros and St John beginning at 9:15 in the morning.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »

Royal Hours this morning

Vigil tonight (starting 6 p.m.)

Liturgy in the morning. (10 a.m.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:53:35 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

Just got home a bit ago from Orthros/St John. My priest wasn't particularly happy with how things worked out this year. (I knew that two liturgies was a bit much.) He finally seems open to having a single liturgy late evening, over midnight next year. Too many of our congregation cited family obligations this year either Christmas Eve and/or Christmas morning.

I'm also thinking that in July I'm going to see that we get an announcement to start planning for Christmas: "Don't plan to go visit your relatives this year at Christmas - it's time for them to come here!"  Cheesy Maybe we can follow that up a month or two later: "Let's get together and book a floor of hotel rooms for all our visiting relatives - we'll be able to get a volume discount rate."  Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »

Our Christmas services...January 7

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »

in one parish I attend:

16.00 great compline and matins

9.00 Liturgy

in another one parish I attend

8.00 Liturgy
10.00 Liturgy
12.00 vespers

2.00 vigil
3.30 Liturgy
9.00 Liturgy
17.00 vespers

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

wow, michal, 2 Christmases!
that's what i call a 'happy Christmas'!
 Cheesy

for the second Christmas, why are there 2 liturgies a day? i thought we were only allowed one per day?
and if the first two are to cover 23rd and 24th, the second two can't be 24th and 25th, as 24th still has two liturgies.
is it just because there are too many people to get into the building each time?

i found out today my local church has a sunday morning liturgy next week, as well as the midnight one
 Smiley (but this is for monday / Christmas)
anyway, have a lovely old calendar Christmas!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »

wow, michal, 2 Christmases!

Actually, I'm only attending the Old Calendar ones but the New Calendar parish is the one I have been attending more frequently for some years.

for the second Christmas, why are there 2 liturgies a day? i thought we were only allowed one per day?

The Christmas Eve is on Sunday. In that church there are usually two Sunday Liturgies served by different priests on different altars (well, sometimes once on altar and once on a table). The parish is to big to accommodate in church all people at once.

Same for Christmas Day. It's also for people who for some reasons (little children etc.) wouldn't go at night.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »

thanks for explaining. i am counting the days to Christmas and very excited! i managed to get the next day off work, thanks to God.
are u going in the 6th eve or 7th?
we generally celebrate only on 6th, but we celebrate very thoroughly!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

I will propably attend the 10.00 Liturgy on Sunday and vespers after that (I alway attend the 10.00 one, I like to sleep longer) and the night services for the feast.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:56:45 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

do u break the fast only after the service on 7th?
we break ours after the midnight service (on 6th/7th), usually around 1am.
many people meet to eat at church (if it is a small church) or meet in homes.
i would say more about that, but don't want to distract anyone on the old calendar who is still fasting!
 Wink
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »

do u break the fast only after the service on 7th?

Officially (not to mention those times I broke it when I shouldn't have to).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

sorry, i misread, i thought the Christmas services were in the afternoon, and wondered how there was so much fasting.
i didn't realise they were 3am and 9am; that makes more sense.

i think it's just because i am finding the last week of the fast hard, that i am thinking about food.
i will stop talking about it, this is the first step towards stopping thinking about it!
thanks for all your kind answers and patience.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »

in one parish I attend:

16.00 great compline and matins

9.00 Liturgy

in another one parish I attend

8.00 Liturgy
10.00 Liturgy
12.00 vespers

2.00 vigil
3.30 Liturgy
9.00 Liturgy
17.00 vespers

and in my official parish

7.30 Liturgy
9.00 – Liturgy
10.00 – Liturgy
17.00 – vigil

2.00 – vigil
3.30 - Liturgy
10.00 – Liturgy
17.00 – vespers

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »

In my parish, we had it *really* early this year. Started at 6:00 with Vespers, and went straight on into the Liturgy, later in the evening. The two years before that, it started at something like 9:30 or 10:00.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: