OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Awkwardness Around the Holidays  (Read 227 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 23, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

Well, it's that time of year again. Whenever there is a big holiday, my family usually all comes together to celebrate, and oftentimes, this becomes very awkward for me. The reason being that no one in my family--especially the old folks--has any understanding of the rudeness of speaking about religion or politics at the table, and thus, will hammer me with rude questions about my Orthodoxy, since I am the only one, and thus cause tension--and that tension usually leads to me losing my temper and rhetorically insulting their own beliefs.

Pray that I'll get through this awkward situation that arises every holiday.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »

God be with you and deliver you from insanity.

If you should a conversation topic: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Paul_(de_Ballester-Convallier)_of_Nazianzus (He was a Catalonian convert to Orthodoxy who became a bishop in Mexico and was murdered after Liturgy in Mexico City in 1984.

He also wrote an interesting essay: "Why I Abandoned Papism" http://www.thevoiceoforthodoxy.com/current/articles/Why_I_abandoned_Papism.html.

Of course discussing Bishop Paul and his conversion story and essay may not help you endure family gatherings with your sanity entact, and it may not make them speechless as fish. So, there's always the best course--silence and prayer. And chew slowly.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »

Lord have mercy on James and his family.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »

Lord have mercy on James and his family.
Lord, have mercy.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: