OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Cycle  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« on: December 23, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »

I'm quite new to Eastern Christianity, and I'm having a few problems figuring things out liturgically- particularly the daily cycle. I happen to be a Byzantine Catholic in a town full of Sicilians. So I usually only am able to attend a Byzantine Liturgy when I'm out of town. To make up for this, I try my hardest to pray the daily cycle of services at home- at least Vespers, Compline and Orthros anyway. My problem is I'm  having to bend over backwords to figure out exactly what I need. Boy, does Eastern Christianity need a LOT of paperwork! What I mean by this, is I'm trying to say the reader services at home without all the other books- Menaion, Octoechos, Pentecostarion, Triodion, etc. Is there anyway to get everything sorted together, or abbreviated, or at least for the major feasts? The Stichera, Prokeimenons, Troparia, Kontakia, Doxastika, Theotokia, Exapostelara, Hypakoe, Anathnavio, etc.? It's all bloody confusing without the materials when the rubrics are calling for this canon and that stichera and these verses and that apolytikia. Any help or advice?

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

Eastern Christian Publications has a daily email you can sign up for that has all that stuff - maybe someone else can post the link as I'm on my cell right now. But I subscribed to it while on vacation out of state this past October and it was great, had everything i could possibly have wanted and more!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »

Just a little warning - the "b" word that was used before the word "confusing" is as obscene, to British speakers of English, as the "F" word is to American English speakers. Please don't use it.

Discussion of this word had been moved to a separate topic. If you find something objectionable in a post please report using the "Report to moderator" button. This discussion derailed the topic at hand. Consider this a warning for breaking the "Please Report!" rule http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

Arimethea
Liturgy Section Moderator

There are little schematic charts in "The Festal Menaion" (I think it was), at the beginning of the book, which explain how the services are put together and where the various thingamajigs with fancy names go. It's a good starter-level "decoder ring."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:24:42 PM by arimethea » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »

There are a number of topics that address this on this board. Do some exploring and I think you will find a lot of great advice and sources.

BTW, Welcome!

Joseph
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:59:20 PM »

Eastern Christian Publications has a daily email you can sign up for that has all that stuff - maybe someone else can post the link as I'm on my cell right now. But I subscribed to it while on vacation out of state this past October and it was great, had everything i could possibly have wanted and more!

I am not familiar with Eastern Christian Publications, but a Google search for Eastern Christian Publications finds the site that you mentioned.
Thanks for mentioning the site, I had not looked at the site before.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:54 AM »

WEll, thank you for the correction anyway, Father. I know what most of the terms are and where they go- through much practice, mind you- it's trying to get the right propers without getting a menaion that's the problem. If some one has decided to put at least the most common propors- Festal and Sunday, at least- in one book, I'd be delighted, though. Troparia and Kontakia I have- thank you, handy Jordanville prayer book- it's everything else I'm missing.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

An Horologion with excerpts from the Oktoekos, Menaion, and Tridion is what you are looking for.

https://melkite.org/products-page/horologion

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

I'm quite new to Eastern Christianity, and I'm having a few problems figuring things out liturgically- particularly the daily cycle. I happen to be a Byzantine Catholic in a town full of Sicilians. So I usually only am able to attend a Byzantine Liturgy when I'm out of town. To make up for this, I try my hardest to pray the daily cycle of services at home- at least Vespers, Compline and Orthros anyway. My problem is I'm  having to bend over backwords to figure out exactly what I need. Boy, does Eastern Christianity need a LOT of paperwork! What I mean by this, is I'm trying to say the reader services at home without all the other books- Menaion, Octoechos, Pentecostarion, Triodion, etc. Is there anyway to get everything sorted together, or abbreviated, or at least for the major feasts? The Stichera, Prokeimenons, Troparia, Kontakia, Doxastika, Theotokia, Exapostelara, Hypakoe, Anathnavio, etc.? It's all bloody confusing without the materials when the rubrics are calling for this canon and that stichera and these verses and that apolytikia. Any help or advice?
For the major Feasts, Met. Kallistos Ware's "The Festal Menaion" has all of them from the Menaion, his "Lenten Triodion" has all the ones from the Triodion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »

Ah, thank you Deacon Father. And finally, someone from my jurisdiction! Cheesy

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »

To the OP, here is what I was talking about earlier:

http://ecpubs.com/daily-office.html

This is "an electronic form of the Byzantine Daily Office, daily prayers according to the tradition of the Eastern Christian Churches of Constantinople (Byzantium).  The BDO includes the full prayer text for Morning and Evening Prayers for Persons in the World, and the First, Third, Sixth and Ninth Hours.  We also provide all the changeable parts needed for each day according to the Byzantine Ruthenian Typicon", and you can get it as an email (PDF) or an audio file.

Hope that helps!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

That's awesome. Shocked I can't afford it now, but I've bookmarked it for later. Thanks!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: vespers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: