OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the similiarity and difference between Orthodoxy and catholic  (Read 7704 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 23, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »

I come from Protestant. I know what the difference is between Protestant and Orthodoxy a lot.

And Now, I want to know more about what the similiarity and difference are between the Orthodoxy and Catholic, especially the faith and doctrines. Can someone tell me?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:56:49 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une Poirot

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »

Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son
Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »

Devotions to Saints and Mary-both have it.  However we don't consider her a co-redemptorix
In the States and Canada in Orthodoxy parish councils mostly run the parish.  I recommend you stay out of this for as long as possible because parish councils can be terribly cheeky.
Catholicism is ran more by the priest in the church with everything highly organized and there are parish councils but the priest has the final say.  Not doctrine differences just stuff you'd experience in real life.
There is a lot more lay participation in clerical rules in Catholicism.  IE, no priest present for first communion retreats, etc... people taking communion to the sick.  This doesn't happen in orthodoxy the priest is usually involved or the deacon at most major groups/classes and they take the sacraments to the sick.
accountability;  it is harder to get away with slacking off and not knowing people you go to church with when you go to a small North American Orthodox church versus a Roman Catholic parish that may have 8 Sat/Sun Masses and 4000 families.

We are the oldest Christian community in existence.  Rome even left us and the "columbus found the new world in 1492" answer is 1054 A.D.  They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »

They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 

"They" sacked "us". *sigh*

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:06:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »

I didn't sack anyone
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »

I didn't sack anyone

username!
is a 13th-century Greek, I think.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »

Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son

In the context of what is expressed in the Creed.

Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.

This pretty much sums it up.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

Here we go...again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »

Catholics tend to be more legalistic while Orthodox are more mystical.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »

Here we go...again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.

As long as this doesn’t turn into a Catholic bashing thread, I think it is safe to simply discuss the differences and similarities, but that appears to be difficult for many people.  I have said many times before that if it were not for a small handful of things I could not work around, I would have become Roman Catholic.  The more I learned about Orthodoxy, the more I respected the Roman Catholic Church.  I suppose I am the odd ball.
Red A.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 10:02:56 PM »

Original sin, Immaculate conception
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »

Similarities:

-Both are Liturgical (although the RC Church keeps getting more and more liberal throughout the years, watering down their worship gradually)
-Both argue Apostolic succession
-Both rely on Church Tradition opposed to just the Scriptures
-Same Sacraments/Mysteries pretty much--except a few differences in the Marriage Sacraments and a bit of a difference between Confirmation and Chrismation

Differences:

-The Filioque, RCs believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, but we believe that it only proceeds from the Father.
-Substitutionary Atonement (often an overlooked but major differece), RCs believe that Jesus died to appease His Father's wrath against humanity, EOs believe that He died to defeat death.
-Original Sin, the RCs believe that we inherited Adam's guilt, the EOs believe that we only inherited the consequences of his sin--which was death.
-Ecclessiology, the RCs believe in all this weirdo Papal theology about the Pope being the supreme Bishop and being infallible in certain conditions, whereas the EO believes that all Bishops and Patriarchates are equal and none are individually infallible.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »

These are only an issue because of the dogmatization of the IC.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »

I guess this would follow under liturgics but I just found out, due to be raised in the Orthodox church and not being aware, that Roman Catholics have not been exposed to the poetic theology encapsulated in our hymnography. I have been sharing our church hymns with a group of very devout Roman Catholics on Facebook. They are in awe of the beauty and inspiration in our hymnography. They wanted to know who had written the hymns but most of these hymns have been written so long ago (first few centuries of Christianity) that either the authors are anonymous or have been lost to the passages of time.

I was so happy to give them part of our shared heritage that had somehow been lost to them. One woman wrote that the hymn of Christ destroying death through is Godhead and raising the dead with Himself was one of the most inspiring quotes she had ever heard.

Anyway, their excitement of reading the hymns gave me, a lackadaisical Orthodox, a new appreciation for the theology and beauty in our hymns that I had taken for granted.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:16:18 AM by Tamara » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:36 AM »

Well, they are related.  The Orthodox reject the Latin concept of Original Sin.  IC is not necessary if there is no Original Sin.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »

They wanted to know who had written the hymns but most of these hymns have been written so long ago (first few centuries of Christianity) that either the authors are anonymous or have been lost to the passages of time.

Good to hear from you, Tamara!  Smiley

You'll be pleased to know that the identity of the writers of a good proportion of Orthodox hymnography is indeed known to us. These hymnographers are recorded in the menaia and other liturgical books which contain the texts of feasts and other liturgical services.

If there's any particular hymn you'd like to know who the hymnographer was who wrote it, feel free to PM me.  Smiley
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »

Catholic also believes the cross and death of Jesus is to fulifill  the glory and justice of Father and ransom us from Him.It is quite similar to Protestant. The main difference between the atonement of Protestant and Catholic is simply that Catholic believe Father did not shown angry to and  kill Jesus

Catholic believes that there is purgatory while Orthodox does not.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:01:00 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »

Besides original sin and satisfaction atonement, what can also show that Catholic Church is more legalistic?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:41:41 AM by walter1234 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 05:04:40 AM »

Besides original sin and satisfaction atonement, what can also show that Catholic Church is more legalistic?

Just read the Code of Canon Law.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 05:48:39 AM »

One guess would be the RC marriage annulment process. The RCC teaches that divorce and remarriage is morally wrong, and a mortal sin,  but on the other hand, almost everyone who applies for a Catholic annulment in the USA gets it with the official stamp of the Church. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:50:08 AM by stanley123 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »

Just read the Code of Canon Law.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

Wa! Really too many rules and regulations.   Shocked

Our relationship with God should not like this!  Undecided
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Canon_law

Orthodox Church also has its own canon laws.Is there any difference between the Canon law of Orthodox and Catholic?Why is Orthodoxy  not legalistic even it has its own canon law?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:12:15 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

Orthodox Church also has some canon laws.Is there any difference between the Canon law of Orthodox and Catholic?

Yes. Different canons.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »

Orthodox Church also has some canon laws.Is there any difference between the Canon law of Orthodox and Catholic?

Yes. Different canons.

Catholic and Orthodox also have Canon law.Why is Catholic legalistic while Orthodoxy is not?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:15:13 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »

Yes. Different canons.

Catholic and Orthodox also have Canon law.Why is Catholic legalistic while Orthodoxy is not?

Because the Latins in the West - the Romans - were the masters of the law, much more so than the Greeks. Thus, in the Eastern Roman Empire, where Greek was spoken, law school was entirely in Latin up until the 7th century. The 6th century Byzantine Emperor Justinian wrote his big civil code - the Corpus Juris Civilis - not in Greek, which the majority of his subjects spoke, but in Latin, because that was the language of the great jurists, such as for example Ulpian.

Virgil, the great Roman poet, once wrote (Aeneid, VI:847-852):

Others (I can well believe) will hammer out bronze that breathes
with more delicacy than us, draw out living features
from the marble: plead their causes better, trace with instruments
the movement of the skies, and tell the rising of the constellations:
remember, Roman, it is for you to rule the nations with your power,
that will be your skill - to crown peace with law.

Thus you can see how legalism would sooner develop in the Latin west than in the Greek east. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:37:53 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 02:31:33 PM »

Yes. Different canons.

Because the Latins in the West - the Romans - were the masters of the law, much more so than the Greeks. Thus, in the Eastern Roman Empire, where Greek was spoken, law school was entirely in Latin up until the 7th century. The 6th century Byzantine Emperor Justinian wrote his big civil code - the Corpus Juris Civilis - not in Greek, which the majority of his subjects spoke, but in Latin, because that was the language of the great jurists, such as for example Ulpian.

Virgil, the great Roman poet, once wrote (Aeneid, VI:847-852):

Others (I can well believe) will hammer out bronze that breathes
with more delicacy than us, draw out living features
from the marble: plead their causes better, trace with instruments
the movement of the skies, and tell the rising of the constellations:
remember, Roman, it is for you to rule the nations with your power,
that will be your skill - to crown peace with law.

Thus you can see how legalism would sooner develop in the Latin west than in the Greek east. Hope this helps.

So, How about Orthodoxy?

Does Orthodox church have a lot of rules,regulations and laws which a Christian must follow, like Catholic Church?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:41:22 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »

So, How about Orthodoxy?

Does Orthodox church have a lot of rules,regulations and laws which a Christian must follow, like Catholic Church?

Of course there are rules. It's not a 'build your own teddy bear' church. How many rules are 'a lot', though, is another story entirely...

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 03:20:31 PM »

Frankly, I never understood the whole "Filioque" thing, and I was raised RC. All I was taught is that there's the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, co-equal and co-exist from the beginning of time. They didn't get into who is generated from who- they just stressed that they were equal. I suppose the Latin Creed just added it to stress that they were equal, to avoid Sabellianism, and they just didn't take it out over the years- and just simply don't want to give the Orthodox the satisfaction.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »

Frankly, I never understood the whole "Filioque" thing, and I was raised RC. All I was taught is that there's the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, co-equal and co-exist from the beginning of time. They didn't get into who is generated from who- they just stressed that they were equal. I suppose the Latin Creed just added it to stress that they were equal, to avoid Sabellianism, and they just didn't take it out over the years- and just simply don't want to give the Orthodox the satisfaction.

[sarcasm] Studying the Filioque is so much fun! Why don't you try it? [/sarcasm]

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »

I have studied it- I personally find it "muddy water theology"- a theological issue that people love to debate on, is difficult to comprehend, and has little to actuali importance in the Church, besides having and Eastern and Western theologians squabbling and bickering for centuries. 

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

Yes. Different canons.

So, How about Orthodoxy?

Of course there are rules. It's not a 'build your own teddy bear' church. How many rules are 'a lot', though, is another story entirely...

So, what is the difference between the list of rules, regulations and laws in Catholic and Orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:36:38 PM by walter1234 » Logged
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »

I'm a recent convert from Catholicism. Everything everyone stated is good. For me, the main difference is the role and necessity of the Pope.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »

Is there any internet source about the canon law of Orthodox Church?

What is the main purpose of setting a list of canon law in Orthodox Church?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:02:39 PM by walter1234 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Pedalion
What is "setting a list"?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »

Why does Orthodox Church have to set so many rules, laws and regulations?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:25:32 PM by walter1234 » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

Why does Orthodox Church have to set so many rules, laws and regulations?
To prevent anarchy. That's how it's the same Church Christ left two thousand years later, and Protestantism is splintered into thousands of sects in less than half a millenium.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »

I am still a bit confused. Huh

Nowaday, Orthodox and Catholic Church/Christian also has many canon laws to obey and follow . Why Orthodox Church is not legalistic while Catholic is?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:14:00 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

Nowaday, Orthodox and Catholic Church/Christian also has many canon laws to obey and follow . Why Orthodox Church is not legalistic while Catholic is?
For the same reason that sins committed by Catholics reflect on our entire Church, whereas sins committed by Eastern Orthodox Christians are just shrugged off as sinful human nature and does not reflect on the Eastern Orthodox Church as a whole.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »

For the same reason that sins committed by Catholics reflect on our entire Church, whereas sins committed by Eastern Orthodox Christians are just shrugged off as sinful human nature and does not reflect on the Eastern Orthodox Church as a whole.
So you admit the adoption of legalism by the Vatican is sinful?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »

They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 

"They" sacked "us". *sigh*

"I remember the Fourth Crusade like it were yesterday."
"That was 800 years ago!"
"Maybe."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

I didn't sack anyone

But if you did, you'd sack Moscow. Slim are the pickings in Constantinople.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »

Often we are mystical about our legalism, but on off days we can be legalistic about our mysticism.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »

No, it's an issue because of the concept of inherited guilt--an issue which I would say is highly overlooked and not just a little mere difference that can be overlooked via different jurisdictions.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »

Yes. Different canons.

So, How about Orthodoxy?

So, what is the difference between the list of rules, regulations and laws in Catholic and Orthodoxy?

I dont know about differnece, but from an Orthodox perspective, canons are not laws. The Greek word for canon means measuring stick or measurement or something. It's not a law, but something to strive for, knowing that even meeting all the canons may not be possible and even if it were, we're still imperfect and sinners.

There are also different kinds of canons. There are dogmatic canons that define our faith. And there are disciplinary canons which help guide the life of the Church. Some of these are more weighty than others. For example, there are canons which govern the movement of bishops--this is for good order. There's also a canon against allowing bears in church. This is so people are not killed and eaten during Liturgy.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »

Do you really want to study Orthodoxy by asking a million questions at once? Or do you want, instead, to know who Christ really is?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: