OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:17:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas was Christ really born on the 25th of December????  (Read 2681 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »

Yeshua HaDerekh, the Orthodox teaching on who Zachariah was (both High Priest and father of St John the Baptist) is crystal-clear.

It does not say anywhere in scripture that he was THE HIGH PRIEST. He served in the course of Abiyah...with other priests in the Temple...THAT is crystal clear in Scripture.  That "teaching" is tradition, not Tradition...not salvatical.

Nonsense. Orthodox hymns and icons express what the whole Church believes and espouses. It draws from Scripture, Apostolic tradition, and other sources such as the writings of the Fathers. And the hymns of the Church, both in my earlier post, and in Romaios' post, clearly proclaim Zachariah to be both High Priest, and the father of St John the Baptist.

No sense arguing with heretics.
 Calm down your rhetorics andd stop calling peole names.

7 days

MK

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox pre 100AD

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »

Yeshua HaDerekh, the Orthodox teaching on who Zachariah was (both High Priest and father of St John the Baptist) is crystal-clear.

It does not say anywhere in scripture that he was THE HIGH PRIEST. He served in the course of Abiyah...with other priests in the Temple...THAT is crystal clear in Scripture.  That "teaching" is tradition, not Tradition...not salvatical.

Nonsense. Orthodox hymns and icons express what the whole Church believes and espouses. It draws from Scripture, Apostolic tradition, and other sources such as the writings of the Fathers. And the hymns of the Church, both in my earlier post, and in Romaios' post, clearly proclaim Zachariah to be both High Priest, and the father of St John the Baptist.

The truth is NEVER heresy...the truth is only heresy to heretics.

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

Says the one who makes his own truth, rather than believing the real truth which is only in the Orthodox Church.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »

Says the one who makes his own truth, rather than believing the real truth which is only in the Orthodox Church.

I didn't make ANY of this up...all truth is "real" truth.  Church fathers are sometimes wrong. 

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »

I didn't make ANY of this up...all truth is "real" truth.  Church fathers are sometimes wrong. 

Good luck with that.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »

Good luck with that.

Why...church fathers are not infallible...

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »

So you would rather believe that The Scriptures are fallible but the church fathers are not?

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »

Everybody knows that the Dec 25 celebration of Christ's birth was handed down to us from the Apostles.  The Theotokos relayed this information to St. Luke while she posed for the fist Icon.  Roll Eyes

I hope you were joking. #1 jews at that time did NOT celebrate dates of birth but remembered dates of death. #2 the Apostles did no such thing and #3 yeshua's real date of birth can easily be calculated if you understand certain things regarding John the Baptist's birth and his father's service in the temple.

Yes it was a joke hence the roll eyes.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »

Hi all i have recently come to the understanding that December 25th is not the day that Christ was born, or this is what i was led to believe. One of my friends that was once catholic, then baptized Orthodox, and now recently joined and evangelical church, went on a rant last year on how she learned that Christmas is a pagan holiday and if we continue to celebrate it that we are in turn giving our worship to something other than Christ. I do understand that we do not know the exact date of Christ's birth we can only speculate as to when it happened, i also know that it could have been at another time, and this date was set as a day to celebrate Christ's birth cause we do not know when he was born. .  I want to know what the Church's point of view is on this and what do you think about it. . . If it is so pagan is it wrong to celebrate his birth on this given day?  Thanks all!!!!

St. John Chrysostom relates that in his day, it was a recent switch to Dec. 25, as Antioch had previously celebrated Nativity with Theophany on the same day.  Yet, because the imperial archives in Rome (from pagan imperial historian hands prior, yet with consensus of the Christians) showed that Christ's birth was Dec. 25, that the rest of the Church followed.    

Yes, once again Rome was involved and others blindly followed...

What is your problem?  It was not "custom" but a matter of historical record, both of church record and even of pagan record.  While the pagan record is not extant, St. John's reference is a historical reference. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: