OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:08:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obedience to Priest Church  (Read 306 times) Average Rating: 0
Pne123

Faith: Catechumens
Jurisdiction: Antioch church of America

« on: December 24, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »

Hello. When one becomes Orthodox from catechumen to Chrismated, is one declaring obodience to a priest in a one priest parish?

Is one also declaring (blind?) obedience to the entire Orthodox Church? 

AiWhat if the priest at ones local parish endorse spiritual practices that vary from the priest / parish in the next city over and you have trouble understanding how to priests from the same strain of Orthodoxy have varied practices / traditions which each asserts as "right" belief and tradition but vary from each other. How is this reconciled?

Most of all I want to understand the degree (total? partial? Use on owns reason and knowledge of the traditions?) when determining a plan for ones own decisions in life ?

Thank you
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »

Hello. When one becomes Orthodox from catechumen to Chrismated, is one declaring obodience to a priest in a one priest parish?

No.  You're not taking a loyalty oath.

Is one also declaring (blind?) obedience to the entire Orthodox Church?

Yes although there are different levels of obedience as mentioned by others.  Example, if you are unable to keep the fast due to health reasons, you can abstain; fasting isn't a strict requirement and you wouldn't be in a state of disobedience..  

AiWhat if the priest at ones local parish endorse spiritual practices that vary from the priest / parish in the next city over and you have trouble understanding how to priests from the same strain of Orthodoxy have varied practices / traditions which each asserts as "right" belief and tradition but vary from each other. How is this reconciled?

Can you share the different Churches?  Different Orthodox Jurisdictions have different traditions; however, the liturgy remains the same.

Most of all I want to understand the degree (total? partial? Use on owns reason and knowledge of the traditions?) when determining a plan for ones own decisions in life ?

You would have to establish your own worship pattern based on your personal comfort zone.  If you like the church where you will chrismated, stick with that church.  If you don't like the church, maybe you need to find another church to resume your cathecumenate.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:35:33 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »

Obedience in Orthodoxy is, I venture to say, never blind. Also, there are varying levels of obedience. Monastic obedience is for monks. Parish priests cannot demand the same level of obedience, nor should they react negatively to honest questions and endeavors to understand.

God does not force anyone to do anything. He does not coerce.

I wonder, by the nature of your question, if you have learned a sufficient amount about the Church, and what her life is like. It would seem to me that, if you had, you would be more at peace about what will be required of you. What the Church requires is not secret, and it doesn't change in the sense that you'll be surprised. Take the time you need to learn everything ahead of time.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: