OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:23:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying/Singing Prayers at Home  (Read 712 times) Average Rating: 0
Dionysius

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 22, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »

Greetings, all!

I'm so grateful for the existence of this online forum.

I am a recent convert to Orthodoxy.  My family--wife and two kids--were baptized into the church in 2010.  We have a recent addition to the family (born a few weeks ago) and are looking forward to his baptism as well!

When we converted, we knew nothing of the Orthodox manner of prayer.  My wife and I had both been raised Presbyterians (both by very fervent Korean American immigrant parents) and were familiar with a more "Evangelical" notion of prayer.  We've grown to love praying as a family, but we're not sure if we're doing it right.

You see, part of what drew me to the church was the astonishing beauty of Orthodox worship.  The visual and auditory splendor of the Liturgy was evidence of God's presence.  My kids (10 and 7) love singing.  My son (the 10 year old) serves at the altar and my daughter (age 7) belts out the hymns she knows with great enthusiasm.  They especially love singing "It Is Truly Meet To Bless Thee," the hymn to the Theotokos, as do I.  When we started praying at home, we weren't sure what to do.  I have my personal rule of prayer (very, very modest), but we usually sing the Trisagion prayers as a family before the kids go to bed, as well as "It is Truly Meet."  In the beginning, we had know idea how to sing prayers at home, so we ended up making up our own melodies.  These home-made melodies have stuck in the kids' memories, and now this is how we pray whenever we pray together.

Please forgive my ignorance!  I am asking you in this community who know better than I do: is this little practice we developed all right and acceptable?  Or are we doing something disrespectful--or worse--heretical?  I wouldn't want us to persist in an error that began out of ignorance and convert enthusiasm.  God help us!

If what we are doing is less than correct, please let me know!  Also, although I do not mean to pry, I am earnestly interested in how folks pray at home.  Do they "say" or "speak" their prayers?  Chant them?  Please be kind and enlighten your ignorant brother, who earnestly wants his family to pray in a manner pleasing to God at home!

Thank you for any replies and suggestions.

Please pray for me!

-- Dionysius
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

You're practice is traditional.  The Trisagion Prayers begin all prayer situations.  Any Orthodox Prayer book is going to provide Morning, Midday, and Evening Prayers, as does the Orthodox Study Bible.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think there is anything wrong in your attitude.

In some traditions there are set prayer rules for morning and evening prayers. In those, I'm accustomed to, "It is truly meet" is read/sung in the end of them. Here is some set familiar to me.

Most people I know read (or, if they can, chant) their prayers. There is nothing wrote in singing, however not everyone can sing or is confident enough to sing.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
candora

Faith: Not quite Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

I'm not Orthodox so I can't comment on correctness of anything.  But I did want to mention that downloading a free Orthodox Prayer Book on Amazon is part of what lead me into Orthodoxy.  I speak/chant/sing the prayers and songs almost every morning and evening.  I went to a few liturgies and vespers to learn some of the melodies and ways of chanting, and strangely enough, this is probably the one thing that ties me to Orthodoxy and keeps me pursuing the Orthodox Church more than anything else. 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

OT about Presbyterians was moved to Orthodox-Protestant Discussion.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »

Welcome, Dionysius!

The saying goes, "There is no home typikon." Essentially, there's no one set way to do private prayer conducted outside of the services. Praying the Trisagion and the Axion Estin is very traditional in itself, and having your own special little melodies at home shouldn't be a problem...especially if your kids love them so much!

When I first converted to Orthodoxy, I would often chant my prayers, but I've grown accustomed now to simply reading them in a normal voice. I now only chant the private rules (morning, evening, pre-communion, etc.) when I'm praying them with others. Again, there is no set way for a person to do this. Do what is comfortable to you!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »

It is best to ask your spiritual father about questions concerning your private and family prayer rule.  If your spiritual father says that it is okay, and gives his blessing, then it is blessed.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:10:19 AM by jah777 » Logged
Dionysius

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »

Thank you everyone very much for your replies.  I'm so sorry for responding to you all so late.  We have a newborn at home, and communication of all kinds has become rather delayed.  Thank you for setting my mind at ease.  Please pray for us!

- Dionysius
Tags: prayer  chanting  singing  home  convert 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: