OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:53:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Monastery Commemorates John of Damascus  (Read 1682 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

While I said I was taking a break from posting, I will make an exception for this particular topic as I think it will be of interest to all of us. The website of the Nine Saints Ethiopian Orthodox Monastery commemorated John of Damscus as a "defender of the Orthodox faith." Is John of Damascus officially commemorated by the Ethiopian Orthodox, or is this just a local practice of this particular Monastery?

Saint Yohannes of Damascus
 Monk Priest
Defender of the Orthodox Faith & Sacred Images

MONDAY
Tahisas 08 – December 17

The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church joins with the entire Christians Church throughout the world on this Eight day of the month of Tahisas, December Seventeenth on the Western calendar, in venerating the memory of one of the Great Fathers of the Church, Saint Abba Yohannes of Damascus.

Abba Yohannes Damascene has the double honor of being one of the greatest religious poets of the Eastern Church. He also was a most powerful defender of the Christian Faith before the Islamic infidels and defended the use of Sacred Images (Carvings, Icons, Statues, etc) for and within Christian worship.

Please remember me in your prayers,
Severian

Too long quote editted - MK.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:07:02 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:45:04 PM »

I went to a church which had an icon of St. Takla Hymanout (forgive any misspelling). We also venerate St. Caleb Elesbaan, Emperor of Ethiopia on our calendar, though he died in the 6th century.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

There are also the 12 or 9 Syrian Fathers in Georgia who may or may not have been anti-Chalcedonians. I can't remember which number it was. The other number were the number of Syrian saints who, incidentally, went to Ethiopia. Those Syrian missionary monks got around.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »

I went to a church which had an icon of St. Takla Hymanout (forgive any misspelling). We also venerate St. Caleb Elesbaan, Emperor of Ethiopia on our calendar, though he died in the 6th century.
What jurisdiction was this Church?

Anyway, Habte told me that John the Damascene is indeed commemorated in the Ethiopian Synaxarion on December 17. It's kind of ironic because the day beforehand, the Ethiopians also commemorate Sts. Abba Daniel and Abba Matthew (two Anti-Chalcedonian Orthodox Saints) who "cursed the heretical teachings of Chalcedon." Cheesy

What I find a bit odd about the Ethiopians' commemoration of John of Damascus is that he labelled us and our Saints as Monophysites. I believe he did this in his work "the Fount of Knowledge."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:32:36 AM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:37:24 AM »

What I find a bit odd about the Ethiopians' commemoration of John of Damascus is that he labelled us and our Saints as Monophysites. I believe he did this in his work "the Fount of Knowledge."

Every saint made mistakes, right?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »

Of course. I just thought it was odd that our Church commemorated him with that in mind.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:40:49 AM by Severian » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »

Of course. I just thought it was odd that our Church commemorated him with that in mind.

It is odd indeed but apparently the Ethiopians concluded that his sanctity made up for the mistake of attributing to them a christology that they didn't hold.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:47:18 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »

^Perhaps you are right. Anyway, in Coptic Orthodoxy he is not venerated as a Saint, but he is sometimes quoted by our Theologians. Fr. Tadros Yacoub Malaty refers to him as "Fr." John of Damascus (out of respect).

Also, there is a version of the Agpeya which contains a prayer by John of Damascus before Communion (and another Communion prayer by the later Slavic St. Simon Metaphrastes). I like using both these prayers before I Commune. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:53:17 AM by Severian » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

What jurisdiction was this Church?

Anyway, Habte told me that John the Damascene is indeed commemorated in the Ethiopian Synaxarion on December 17. It's kind of ironic because the day beforehand, the Ethiopians also commemorate Sts. Abba Daniel and Abba Matthew (two Anti-Chalcedonian Orthodox Saints) who "cursed the heretical teachings of Chalcedon." Cheesy

It was OCA, but at the time not exactly stable.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »

He also was a most powerful defender of the Christian Faith before the Islamic infidels and defended the use of Sacred Images (Carvings, Icons, Statues, etc) for and within Christian worship.

What he wrote about use of statues?

As of the actual topic, for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord!

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »

What I find a bit odd about the Ethiopians' commemoration of John of Damascus is that he labelled us and our Saints as Monophysites.
Well, monophysite = one nature, so it's not inaccurate. Modern polemics ought not be read back in time.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

What I find a bit odd about the Ethiopians' commemoration of John of Damascus is that he labelled us and our Saints as Monophysites.
Well, monophysite = one nature, so it's not inaccurate. Modern polemics ought not be read back in time.
Yes, but it is obvious from the context that he meant it in a polemical fashion, he also cursed our Holy Fathers Sts. Severus and Dioscorus.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

he also cursed our Holy Fathers Sts. Severus and Dioscorus.

What's a little Aristotelian rhetoric between friends?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Nicholas,
Get back on topic, please.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »

He also was a most powerful defender of the Christian Faith before the Islamic infidels and defended the use of Sacred Images (Carvings, Icons, Statues, etc) for and within Christian worship.

The theological basis for icons and statuary is the same.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »

The theological basis for icons and statuary is the same.

So he didn't write anything about statues?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

Nope.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

St. Caleb is commemorated on the Byzantine calendar, but St. Tekle Haimanot - a truly great saint - is not.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »

Yes, but it is obvious from the context that he meant it in a polemical fashion, he also cursed our Holy Fathers Sts. Severus and Dioscorus.

I don't know why you'd take the curses personally. I think the both of us have liturgical texts doing the same for those considered heretics. It's all part of our rich ecclesiastical tapestry.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »

St. Caleb is commemorated on the Byzantine calendar, but St. Tekle Haimanot - a truly great saint - is not.

Well, yes. But God is in heaven, and the bishop was far away.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »

I don't know why you'd take the curses personally. I think the both of us have liturgical texts doing the same for those considered heretics. It's all part of our rich ecclesiastical tapestry.
Yeah, I know. I was just surprised the Ethiopians would canonize a man who cursed two of our greatest Saints.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »

The Ethiopians also venerate Pontius Pilate, so I'm somewhat less surprised. Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »

Also, there is a version of the Agpeya which contains a prayer by John of Damascus before Communion (and another Communion prayer by the later Slavic St. Simon Metaphrastes). I like using both these prayers before I Commune. Smiley

which one is the prayer by saint john of damascus?
there are 2 widely used pre communion prayers, and i am wondering if it is the one i use.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »

there are 2 widely used pre communion prayers, and i am wondering if it is the one i use.
I think it is this one (but I could be wrong):

O Lord my God, I know that I am not worthy nor sufficient that thou shouldest enter under my roof into the habitation of my soul, for it is all deserted and in ruins, and thou hast not a fitting place in me to lay thy head. But as from the heights of thy glory thou didst humble thyself, so now bear me in my humility; as thou didst deign to lie in a manger in a cave, so deign now also to come into the manger of my mute soul and corrupt body. As thou didst not refrain from entering into the house of Simon the leper, or shrink from eating there with sinners, so also vouchsafe to enter the house of my poor soul, all leprous and full of sin. Thou didst not reject the sinful woman who ventured to draw near to touch thee, so also have pity on me, a sinner, approaching to touch thee. And grant that I may partake of thine All-holy Body and Precious Blood for the sanctification, enlightenment and strengthening of my weak soul and body; for the relief from the burden of my many sins; for my preservation against all the snares of the devil; for victory over all my sinful and evil habits; for the mortification of my passions; for obedience to thy Commandments; for growth in thy divine Grace and for the inheritance of thy Kingdom. For it is not with careless heart that I approach thee, O Christ my God, but I come trusting in thine infinite goodness, and fearing lest I may be drawn afar from thee and become the prey of the wolf of souls. Wherefore I pray thee, O Master, who alone art holy, that thou wouldest sanctify my soul and body, my mind and heart and reins, and renew me entirely. Implant in my members the fear of thee, be thou my helper and guide, directing my life in the paths of peace, and make me worthy to stand at thy right hand with thy Saints; through the prayers and intercessions of thine immaculate Mother, of thy Bodiless Servitors, of the immaculate Powers, and of all the Saints who from all ages have been well-pleasing unto thee. Amen.

http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/prayers/before.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:59:29 PM by Severian » Logged

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

I was told by a Byzantine Orthodox bishop to go to the Oriental Orthodox for communion if I was ever living in an area without any accessible Byzantine churches, so the bishop might not have minded :-).

Well, yes. But God is in heaven, and the bishop was far away.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

Are these the Ethiopian Tewahedo that smoke marijuana, or the Ethiopian Tewahedo that do not smoke marijuana?  They sound like the sober ones.   Wink
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

this is the one i always pray!  Smiley
i pray a more modern version, as i am allergic to ancient english.
 Wink
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »

Likewise :-). It's a lovely prayer.

this is the one i always pray!  Smiley
 Wink

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »

errrrrrm....
sorry, from here:

it is the prayer of saint john chrysostom!

the prayer of saint john of damascus is the one underneath it...

A Prayer of St. John of Damascus

O Lord and Master Jesus Christ, our God, who alone hath power to forgive the sins of men, do thou, O Good One who lovest mankind, forgive all the sins that I have committed in knowledge or in ignorance, and make me worthy to receive without condemnation thy divine, glorious, immaculate and life-giving Mysteries; not unto punishment or unto increase of sin; but unto purification, and sanctification and a promise of thy Kingdom and the Life to come; as a protection and a help to overthrow the adversaries, and to blot out my many sins. For thou art a God of Mercy and compassion and love toward mankind, and unto Thee we ascribe glory together with the Father and the Holy Spirit; now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »

^Lol, you're right! Sorry about that, my eyes must be playing tricks on me. Wink

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »

What about Pope St Cyril of Alexandria's vehement dislike for St John Chrysostom until the latter part of his life? St Hippolytus of Rome was an antipope who attacked Pope St Pontian of Rome. Saints make mistakes. The Prophet and King St David committed adultery and had the woman's husband killed. And St David, in Acts 13:22, is called a man after God's own heart.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:45:26 AM by zekarja » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »

Don't worry. As Fathers taught, The Church is a spiritual hospital. I'm sure proper cure can be found.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:55:48 AM by Alpo » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Tongue
(to alpo)
 Wink

as for saint cyril of alexandria, i do not believe he 'disliked' anyone. he may have disagreed with saint john on some issues, but he would have prayed for him and cared for him.

all our saints have made mistakes, this encourages us not to despair as we too, sinners, can become holy by imitating them and coming closer to our Lord and Saviour Jesus.
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »

The Eastern Orthodox Church, and, even the Roman Catholic Church commemorate the great Ethiopian emperor Kaleb, but not the Egyptian Coptic Church. What could be the reason?

Tags: Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: