Author Topic: I'm Confused About the Celtic Orthodox Church  (Read 437 times)

Offline pmpn8rGPT

• Grammar Nazi in three languages.
  • OC.net guru
  • Proof that Russia won the Space Race.
I'm Confused About the Celtic Orthodox Church
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
http://www.celticorthodoxchurch.com/immaculate.html states that they are not Nestorians

The Holy Spirit, speaking through the Holy Seven Ecumenical Councils set guidelines for belief. No belief is compatible with the truth if it challenges the authenticity or fullness of the humanity received and redeemed by our God, Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the Son and Second Person of the Holy Trinity.  No belief is compatible with the truth if it says that our redemption comes through anyone other than God.  THE UNION OF OUR DEFICIENT HAMANITY,  RECEIVED THROUGH MARY,  TO JESUS CHRIST’S HUMAN AND DIVINE PERFECTION IS THE BASIS OF OUR REDEMPTION.

it sounds awfully Nestorian yet claims all seven Holy Ecumenical Councils

can someone help me?
"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: I'm Confused About the Celtic Orthodox Church
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Sounds like an uncanonical mishmash of some bits of the Roman Catholics, some cultural trappings and a pinch of whatever they wanted, to make themselves look good. And it doesn't work.  :P

If they have an actual church building, I'd recommend not going there.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
Appears to be a more obscure knock-off of this group, which is supposedly just one family:
http://celticchristianity.org/

They don't appear to espouse non-Orthodox dogma, but aren't in communion with the Orthodox Churches.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »
http://www.celticorthodoxchurch.com/immaculate.html states that they are not Nestorians

The Holy Spirit, speaking through the Holy Seven Ecumenical Councils set guidelines for belief. No belief is compatible with the truth if it challenges the authenticity or fullness of the humanity received and redeemed by our God, Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the Son and Second Person of the Holy Trinity.  No belief is compatible with the truth if it says that our redemption comes through anyone other than God.  THE UNION OF OUR DEFICIENT HAMANITY,  RECEIVED THROUGH MARY,  TO JESUS CHRIST’S HUMAN AND DIVINE PERFECTION IS THE BASIS OF OUR REDEMPTION.

it sounds awfully Nestorian yet claims all seven Holy Ecumenical Councils

can someone help me?

How is it Nestorian, specifically?
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline simplygermain

• beer-bellied tellitubby
  • High Elder
  • Zechariah 11:7
    • The Hairshirt Agenda
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 03:21:08 AM »
Are you looking for an authentically canonical (restored) Celtic orthodox church?
I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »

Offline simplygermain

• beer-bellied tellitubby
  • High Elder
  • Zechariah 11:7
    • The Hairshirt Agenda
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
http://www.orthodoxie-celtique.net/Links.html

These guys are not a recognized body by any patriarchate, but have a strong argument for becoming canonical if they make the (IMO) right moves, ie: joining with L'ECOF parishes when their Bishop Germain reposes... Then making a move toward Met. Hilarion (ROCOR-WR) But most priests and bishops from this kind of background usually have a negative view of "world orthodoxy", meaning patriarchal sees. (I realize this is a generalization) and don't give a rat's patootie about being in communion with a patriarchal throne.

Even still, a move to absorb the rest of the French non-canonical parishes would give them a strong number and be a move towards gaining recognition. AFAIK all of these parishes all teach, worship and believe orthodox praxis, sans canonicity. I believe the count would be somewhere around 25-40 parishes in all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:16:32 PM by simplygermain »
I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."