The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
Department of Religious Education
Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministries
Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute
Will our Children Have Faith?
Summer Institute 2007
ORTHODOX YOUTH MINISTRY
June 6 – 9, 2007
Downloadable Material available here: http://goarch.org/en/archdiocese/departments/religioused/si/General Information
The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America Departments of Religious Education (DRE) and Youth and Young Adult Ministries and the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute (PAOI) invite you to retreat from the demands of daily life and spend time sharing fresh ideas and cutting-edge insights into the spiritual life of young people today. The PAOI Summer Institute 2007 will feature hands-on, experiential lectures and workshops presented by a variety of Orthodox and Ecumenical scholars and practitioners.
Topics include “Setting the Tone for Youth Ministry,” “Youth Spirituality,” “Organizing Youth and Family Ministries,” and “Communications Technology and Ministry to Youth.” Among the scheduled presenters are Fr. Michael Anderson, Sr. Mary Grennan, Fr. Mark Leondis, Mr. George Papageorge, Dr. David Randolph, Fr. Kevin Scherer, and Dr. Tony Vrame.
Participants will pray together every morning and evening in the beautiful Chapel of St. Demetrios at the PAOI. Registration includes a daily Continental Breakfast as well as one dinner or lunch per day.
Several local housing options are available with rates beginning from $35.00/ night. For further information regarding housing, please contact the Institute at 510 649-3450.
Price for the Summer Institute is $250.00.Scheduled PresentersFr. Michael Anderson
– Rector of St. Christina of Tyre Mission in Fremont, CA. Previously, Fr. Anderson was Director of Youth Ministries for the Orthodox Church in America.Sr. Mary Greenan
– Adjunct Lecturer in Counseling at the Dominican School of Philosophy & Theology. A member of the Salesian Sisters Congregation, a ministry dedicated to young people, Sr. Grennan specializes in the spirituality of young people and leadership in youth ministry.Fr. Mark Leondis
– Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.Mr. George Papageorge
– Growth Unlimited Pastoral Counseling . Mr. Papageorge is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with over 20 years of experience working with young people and their families. He is a highly sought-after seminar and workshop leader on parenting and family issues.Dr. David Randolph
– Center for the Arts, Religion, and Education (an Affiliate of the Graduate Theological Union). Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award by the International Academy of Homiletics and honored as one of America’s Greatest Preachers, Dr. Randolph is an authority in the area of communication arts in electronic media.Fr. Kevin Scherer
– Executive Director of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship (under the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in America). Previously, Fr. Scherer was Pastor of St. John the Evangelist Antiochian Orthodox Church in Orinda, CA.Rev. Sue Singer
– Instructor in Ministry Development at the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, California.Dr. Anton Vrame
– Director of Religious Education for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Ph.D in Christian Education from Boston College, Dr. Vrame has published and lectured on a number of topics and was formerly Director of the PAOI, where he taught graduate level courses in a number of Orthodox Christian subject areas.