OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does the Spirit proceed from the Father?  (Read 774 times) Average Rating: 0
Android_Rewster
Raving fanatic of Jesus Christ

Faith: Not a Protsetant anymore

I need you so much closer

« on: December 20, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »

I'm probably going to sound like a noob right here, but I don't understand. :p

Isn't there that whole scripture about how Jesus says he sent forth the spirit as a helper or something?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »

Isn't there that whole scripture about how Jesus says he sent forth the spirit as a helper or something?
No, He says He proceeds from the Father and the Father will send Him in the Son's name (i.e. through the Son). John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »

http://bible.cc/john/15-26.htm
Android_Rewster
Raving fanatic of Jesus Christ

Faith: Not a Protsetant anymore

I need you so much closer

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »

Ah. Okay, thanks for clearing up my confusion. :p
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 04:16:13 AM »

Because The Father is the only source of The Holy Trinity, and the basis of the unity of The Trinity. If there was more than one source, there would be more than one God, which does not even make sense logically.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:17:59 AM »

No, He says He proceeds from the Father and the Father will send Him in the Son's name (i.e. through the Son). John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7

But the Son sends the Spirit as well (John 15:26). But it probably refers to the energetic sending rather than the hypostatic procession.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:18:35 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »

But the Son sends the Spirit as well (John 15:26). But it probably refers to the energetic sending rather than the hypostatic procession.

Yes, all actions start from The Father, get accomplished by The Son, and are perfected by The Holy Spirit. Therefore, we can infer that The Spirit perfects the work of The Son, it is The Spirit of The Son by operation, not by procession. But the Son is the Logos of The Father, therefore, ultimately The Spirit is The Spirit of The Logos of The Father. All points back to The Father by operation, as well as by source.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:04:55 AM by IoanC » Logged

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

Because The Father is the only source of The Holy Trinity, and the basis of the unity of The Trinity. If there was more than one source, there would be more than one God, which does not even make sense logically.
I've heard this argument before, but it has never made sense to me. If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all eternal Persons of the one God, how would the procession of the Spirit by the Father and the Son equate to their being more than one God? The Father and the Son are not two different gods, they are the one true God.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

I've heard this argument before, but it has never made sense to me. If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all eternal Persons of the one God
Of who, now?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

We profess that Christ "was incarnate of the Holy Spirit", yet we would not say that He was "begotten of the Father and the Holy Spirit before all ages." Christ coming to earth is the result of the cooperation of the entire Trinity, yet His eternal origin is found solely in the Father. Likewise, the coming of the Holy Spirit is the result of the cooperation of the entire Trinity, yet His eternal origin is found solely in the Father.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:29:50 AM »

I've heard this argument before, but it has never made sense to me. If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all eternal Persons of the one God, how would the procession of the Spirit by the Father and the Son equate to their being more than one God? The Father and the Son are not two different gods, they are the one true God.

No, the question was why aren't the Three Persons of The Trinity three separate gods. Why do they act as one God? Because there is only One Father, who is the will and source of the other Two Persons, The Father being unbegotten.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 05:42:33 AM »

It is the good old Eastern misconception that the West believes that the Son is another principle or aitia of the Holy Spirit, while this isn't the case at all.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:44:11 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »

It is the good old Eastern misconception that the West believes that the Son is another principle or aitia of the Holy Spirit, while this isn't the case at all.

Which recension of Roman Catholic dogma, from which era, refutes this?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »

Which recension of Roman Catholic dogma, from which era, refutes this?
How about the Council of Florence:

"The Holy Spirit is eternally from Father and Son; He has His nature and subsistence at once (simul) from the Father and the Son. He proceeds eternally from both as from one principle and through one spiration. And, since the Father has through generation given to the only-begotten Son everything that belongs to the Father, except being Father, the Son has also eternally from the Father, from whom He is eternally born, that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son."

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=9277
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:33:00 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

If the Council of Florence still expresses Roman Catholic dogma, it is highly problematic according to the Orthodox understanding.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »

If the Council of Florence still expresses Roman Catholic dogma, it is highly problematic according to the Orthodox understanding.
How so?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

The West has quite muddled what it believes. It is not our task to straighten out their mess, but to witness to the clear thinking of the Apostles and Fathers.

This is quite heretical:
The Father is from none, the Son from the Father alone, and the holy Spirit from both equally, eternally without beginning or end
http://www.legionofmarytidewater.com/faith/ECUM12.HTM#1

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 07:55:53 AM »

Why isn't this in the Orthodox-Catholic forum instead?

This is quite heretical:
The Father is from none, the Son from the Father alone, and the holy Spirit from both equally, eternally without beginning or end

How so?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

Why isn't this in the Orthodox-Catholic forum instead?
Because I haven't moved it there. If you think it belongs there instead of here, please send me a PM or a "Report to Moderator" to ask that this thread be moved. Thank you.

- PtA
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: