OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:14:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some traditions just seem so right !  (Read 250 times) Average Rating: 0
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »

Apparently some Russian Orthodox churches consider beer to be a Lenten beverage due to it's being "liquid bread".  

Some traditions just seem so right, don't they?  !   Cool   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:16:32 PM by Theophan_C » Logged

formerly known as theophan_c
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

Was it lenten beer in 19th century Russia?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:23:46 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »

Was it lenten beer in 19th century Russia?
maybe, I read it on a nameless rival orthodox board.   From that conversation...
Of course, drinking most Russian beers can be considered a form of penance to begin with. A Russian sent some Russian beer to a lab to have it analyzed to find out why it tasted so bad. A couple of weeks later he received a letter that read: "Dear Sir, we are sorry to inform you that your horse has diabetes ..."

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

Rival?  There is no rival to this board, as none come even close!  Wink

I think what you are referring to is "kvas" which is not exactly beer.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

Beer is bread.  The calendar shows grapes, not grain.  If grain were forbidden so would bread.  If the fast were only about being miserable then I could accept that grapes = all alcohol.  But it's not.  The fast is about building us up spiritually.  The reason we fast from certain foods - such as spam and big macs, but are allowed others like swordfish steaks and lobster - is to make us learn discipline and obey rules, even if we cannot understand them.  I cannot believe that the Holy Church in its wisdom would ever take away something as life-affirming and love-kindling as beer.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

Beer is bread.  The calendar shows grapes, not grain.  If grain were forbidden so would bread.  If the fast were only about being miserable then I could accept that grapes = all alcohol.  But it's not.  The fast is about building us up spiritually.  The reason we fast from certain foods - such as spam and big macs, but are allowed others like swordfish steaks and lobster - is to make us learn discipline and obey rules, even if we cannot understand them.  I cannot believe that the Holy Church in its wisdom would ever take away something as life-affirming and love-kindling as beer.

Amen brother.  I have no idea if you are serious or not but agree with every syllable!   Smiley   I actually had a cold pint by the fireplace in my favorite pub on a non-grape day during this fast.  I could have asked my godmother if our local church allowed 'liquid bread' but decided to wait for a while and enjoy the ambiguity.  I feel bad about not caring enough to check but not about the beer so I'll probably confess both (and a few other things!)

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »

Amen brother.  I have no idea if you are serious or not but agree with every syllable!   Smiley   I actually had a cold pint by the fireplace in my favorite pub on a non-grape day during this fast.  I could have asked my godmother if our local church allowed 'liquid bread' but decided to wait for a while and enjoy the ambiguity.  I feel bad about not caring enough to check but not about the beer so I'll probably confess both (and a few other things!)

Dead serious with a touch of humour.    Grin

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: