OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:22:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different types of Deacons?  (Read 245 times) Average Rating: 0
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« on: December 19, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

In the OCA I have heard reference to different types of deacons... Mainly the use of the terms liturgical deacons and administrative deacons.
I get the liturgical one as we all have seen these actions. What does an administrative deacon tend to (obviously administrative stuff, be more specific)?

Are there other types, like those which accompany bishops or assist in mission establishing? I'm not looking for technical names as much as vocational roles, being that it is my desire to be a vocational permanent deacon eventually.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »

IDK totally.  Some deacons assist the priest in his parish duties.  Take a parish near me.  The deacon assists with various groups like youth and college group (ocf).  Helps the priest lighten his load in a busy parish. 
When you are a deacon you are a deacon. 
Various titles don't make you any more of a deacon or less of one.
So protodeacon is "fist deacon" and usually he gets a special stole and sometimes can wear a hat.
Hierodeacon is a monastic deacon.
That's about it as far as I know for titles.
Also usually a bishop has a protodeacon that is his right hand deacon.  This man can and does travel as much as needed with the bishop.
Just like the bishop has his regular subdeacons.  Usually when travelling I have seen the bishop with his "staff" subdeacons.  Seminary guys who have the time to travel.
Usually at the cathedral at least you will see his protodeacon as much as possible.

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »

:police:Yeah, I guess I'm more looking for how dioceses or bishops or overall synods/ metropolitan counsels specifically utilize deacons in different roles. Not really questioning about the different titles.

From what I am beginning to gather, the job is 50% what skill sets and expertise one has to offer and 50% what God deigns is fitting for one to do.

My current vocation is much like this. The job is what I make it and how I develop it, but it is also whatever the needs are of the day and who needs my services.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:42:56 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:44 AM »

As username! said, deacons do a bunch of stuff! Liturgically, they are attached to parishes, to cathedrals (and therefore to the bishop, like the protodeacon who travels with his bishop to serve) but they can do other stuff, too. Just like priests serve as chancellors to a diocese, or as deans to deaneries (in some jurisdictions), deacons also have administrative functions they pick up. Everything from diocesan treasurer/secretary to webmaster to who-knows-what-else. These positions don't HAVE to be filled by deacons, but they certainly can be.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: