OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 04:36:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Coetus fidelium' raising funds for traditional Latin Mass vestments  (Read 948 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »

CHARLOTTE — Most every Wednesday night Catholics can attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form at 6 p.m. at St. Ann Church on Park Road. For those who experienced the "old" Latin Mass in their youth, they'll remember the sacred vestments worn by the bishop, priest, deacon and subdeacons.

The ornate design of these vestments is rich in Church history and helps set a specific tone to the celebration of the Mass in the Extraordinary Form, or MEF, that is not seen as often in the "ordinary form" ("Novus Ordo") Mass most of us experience.

Now a group devoted to encouraging the MEF in the Diocese of Charlotte is helping to raise money to buy these vestments for diocesan clergy who may want to use them, and the response to this fund-raising initiative is "overwhelmingly supportive," said Chris Lauer.
Each set includes a cope for the bishop or priest celebrant, humeral veil (used to cover the hands and arms while holding the Blessed Sacrament), chasuble with stole for the priest, dalmatic with stole for the deacon, tunicle for the subdeacon, three maniples, plus a burse and chalice veil for the Eucharistic celebration. The vestments are being made by Ditta Annibale Gammarelli of Rome, the famous family-owned tailor that has provided vestments for popes, bishops and priests since 1798.

These vestments look very Orthodox-ish.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

CHARLOTTE — Most every Wednesday night Catholics can attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form at 6 p.m. at St. Ann Church on Park Road. For those who experienced the "old" Latin Mass in their youth, they'll remember the sacred vestments worn by the bishop, priest, deacon and subdeacons.

The ornate design of these vestments is rich in Church history and helps set a specific tone to the celebration of the Mass in the Extraordinary Form, or MEF, that is not seen as often in the "ordinary form" ("Novus Ordo") Mass most of us experience.

Now a group devoted to encouraging the MEF in the Diocese of Charlotte is helping to raise money to buy these vestments for diocesan clergy who may want to use them, and the response to this fund-raising initiative is "overwhelmingly supportive," said Chris Lauer.
Each set includes a cope for the bishop or priest celebrant, humeral veil (used to cover the hands and arms while holding the Blessed Sacrament), chasuble with stole for the priest, dalmatic with stole for the deacon, tunicle for the subdeacon, three maniples, plus a burse and chalice veil for the Eucharistic celebration. The vestments are being made by Ditta Annibale Gammarelli of Rome, the famous family-owned tailor that has provided vestments for popes, bishops and priests since 1798.

These vestments look very Orthodox-ish.

Excellent!

Maybe they "look very Orthodox-ish" because they are very orthodox-ish.  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

I really want to attend a Tridentine Mass sometime, or at the very least an OF Mass that utilizes Latin and ad orientem.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

I really want to attend a Tridentine Mass sometime, or at the very least an OF Mass that utilizes Latin and ad orientem.

You mean you want to attend a Roman Catholic mass that seems, sounds and feels like Roman Catholic mass? These aren't available in US?

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »

You mean you want to attend a Roman Catholic mass that seems, sounds and feels like Roman Catholic mass? These aren't available in US?
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the way the OF Mass is celebrated at my parish. There are no liturgical abuses and is celebrated reverently. I would just like to experience the other liturgy as well. I saw a televised Tridentine Mass on EWTN a few years ago and it was amazing to say the least.

I'd also like to attend a Byzantine rite Divine Liturgy as well, but there are no Eastern Catholic parishes anywhere near me. There is a Greek Orthodox Church about 45 minutes from where I live. I could attend but obviously couldn't receive the Eucharist.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:22:50 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »

There's one every tuesday night in walking distance from where I live. I think I really should go once.

I'd also like to attend a Byzantine rite Divine Liturgy as well, but there are no Eastern Catholic parishes anywhere near me. There is a Greek Orthodox Church about 45 minutes from where I live.

Same here.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:23:03 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

There is a Greek Orthodox Church about 45 minutes from where I live. I could attend but obviously couldn't receive the Eucharist.

Doesn't stop me.  Wink

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »

There is a Greek Orthodox Church about 45 minutes from where I live. I could attend but obviously couldn't receive the Eucharist.

Doesn't stop me.  Wink

I hope you mean from attending and not receiving the Eucharist. Shocked   Wink
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:18:20 PM by sheenj » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:12 AM »

Those who haven't been to a Tridentine Mass...please go. It's very beautiful. The way the Latin services SHOULD be conducted!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »

Doesn't stop me.  Wink

I hope you mean from attending and not receiving the Eucharist. Shocked   Wink

Yes, of course. Shocked

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:11 PM »

Those who haven't been to a Tridentine Mass...please go. It's very beautiful. The way the Latin services SHOULD be conducted!
I agree...as long as we're talking about the so-called "High" Mass, with the full complement of priest, deacon, subdeacon, servers, choir, etc., and everything chanted except the silent Canon/Anaphora. This was almost certainly the way Mass was before the Schism.

"Low" Mass is where a priest and server read the Mass somewhat quietly, almost as if it was a private Mass that the congregation happened to show up to. It is possible to have a choir sing over the Mass at certain parts as well, but that almost takes away from it. It lead to most people praying their own private devotions during Mass instead of praying as one body, which is not how Liturgy should be.

Vatican II was supposed to fix that by calling for "active" participation, but since the parts of the document calling for some Latin to be retained and the Chants to be retained were ignored, that lead to its own abuses. Bad translations, possibly with an agenda, didn't help either, to the point where it caused sedevacantist groups to claim the Pope isn't the Pope because he allows all this to continue and doesn't excommunicate everyone who follows the more lenient positions of the Church today, making him a heretic. This matters for Catholics because we have to ensure wherever we attend Mass is in fact in communion with the Pope, and many groups using the older Mass are out of communion. (I guess kind of like Old Believers and Old Calendarists?)

That being said, there are also a very few places that use the current Roman Missal in Latin with the Chants prescribed. There is also a movement to translate those chants into English and use them as part of a sung Mass in English...which is just catching up to where the East is  Wink

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »

One of the points of the 1970 roman missal was to allow for the people to be involved since liturgy is supposed to be a work of the people and the priest/clergy.
I dig gregorian chant.  But honestly just because they dress purrty doesn't mean it's the best worship for the people.  It's pretty much the priest praying the mass and if a choir is present the choir singing the movable parts of the mass.  Low mass in my experience is about as exciting as the spoken ten minute mass I once witnessed at a card table at a fairground.  Don't get me wrong but the priest said to the on lookers "if you were kids when I was this would have been in Latin"  someone said "yes father and it would have been said just as fast as it was today in English".
Trust me we all deal with stuff at church we don't like.  the "choir" at my church refuses to slow down the Cherubic hymn to allow the priest time to finish his prayers so I sometimes keep singing and they'll follow.  Yes I am in a role where I can do that.  They don't sing the tropars and kondaks and prokeimonen. It's chanted straight.  But they are there and they mean it.  Heart counts way more than show.  
And that's the thing.  
I think they should have just translated the 1962 missal to english and made a lot of the prayers audible.
Wait,
Here is the Anglo-Catholic high mass, Sarum I believe it is called. It's mostly in English with a little latin.  Works rather well.  Especially in an English speaking country.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUt7kH9EdLo
If this parish left the Episcopalian diocese and went to the Western Rite Orthodox it would be a model parish.  They have rosary, confession, low mass, high mass, the whole 9 yards. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:10:09 PM by username! » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »

I second this. When I was visiting my brother in Chicago, I attended Mass at St. John Cantius parish. It was one of the most beautiful liturgies I've ever been to. The Gregorian chant there is stunning. The parish is doing many wonderful things to restore the sacredness of the Roman Mass and they are also a growing community. They pack the church every Sunday for all their Masses. They don't only offer the Mass either but pray the Divine Office as well. I was there for the Rosary and the chanting of Vespers. Heavenly.

The Canons Regular of the parish also run a website offering many tutorials on the Latin Mass. They have many videos and articles explaining the Mass and why it should be used. May God bless them in their efforts!

http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »

I was referring to the High Mass, but I also find the Low Mass very beautiful, the "Holy Silence" and whatnot. I've been to both and greatly prefer the High Mass (and even then it does not compare to the Byzantine Liturgy for me. I have my favored rite and I doubt I'll be moving from it). However, I could see a point in serving the Low Mass, if one were to serve the Mass daily. But certainly never on Sundays and even more so for Solemnities. I would even say that Saturday should not be a Low Mass, as I believe it is supposed to be a Day of Obligation? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I second this. When I was visiting my brother in Chicago, I attended Mass at St. John Cantius parish. It was one of the most beautiful liturgies I've ever been to. The Gregorian chant there is stunning. The parish is doing many wonderful things to restore the sacredness of the Roman Mass and they are also a growing community. They pack the church every Sunday for all their Masses. They don't only offer the Mass either but pray the Divine Office as well. I was there for the Rosary and the chanting of Vespers. Heavenly.

The Canons Regular of the parish also run a website offering many tutorials on the Latin Mass. They have many videos and articles explaining the Mass and why it should be used. May God bless them in their efforts!

http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/

Wonderful link, thank you for sharing!

I'm also surprised (overjoyed really) to know that there is a random parish out there that serves the Divine Office. I feel like it is a great weakness of the RCC that they do not serve the daily cycles as ancient Christian did (and Orthodoxy continues to do). Hopefully this is a peek into the future of the Roman church.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: