OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do? Inclusive language  (Read 1412 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:03 AM »

What would you do if there is someone in your parish who refuses to refer to God as "He", "Him" or "His" as per the Liturgical texts and deliberately translates it to something neutral, like "God" (ie. God's Name, instead of His Name), "You" or "One"?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »

If a priest or deacon was doing this during services, then a word to his bishop would be in order. If a choirmaster/mistress or other person responsible for compiling services did this, then the priest should be informed. If the priest thinks it's not necessary to correct him or her, then his bishop should be informed.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:12 AM »

If a priest or deacon was doing this during services, then a word to his bishop would be in order. If a choirmaster/mistress or other person responsible for compiling services did this, then the priest should be informed. If the priest thinks it's not necessary to correct him or her, then his bishop should be informed.

This.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »

Thanks.  My thoughts are the same.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

What would you do if there is someone in your parish who refuses to refer to God as "He", "Him" or "His" as per the Liturgical texts and deliberately translates it to something neutral, like "God" (ie. God's Name, instead of His Name), "You" or "One"?

It is acts like this that make one understand why inquisitions are needed. I would ban such a person from ever stepping near a chanter stand again.

Joseph
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »

Take pity on them and pray for them, for they are steeped in ignorance.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »

Was it a priest or deacon who did this?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

No, but the person does play an important role in the parish.  But lay.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

Have you asked him (or her) whether it was intentional?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »

No, but the person does play an important role in the parish.  But lay.

If he be clergy, let him be defrocked.  If he be a layman, then let him be excommunicated.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »

I would stand in the middle of the nave when this person does this, shout ANAXIOS thrice, and then stomp off in a huff.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »

I would stand in the middle of the nave when this person does this, shout ANATHEMA thrice, and then stomp off in a huff.

Fixed it for ya.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »

Have you asked him (or her) whether it was intentional?

I am pretty sure it is intentional.  The first instance was Lent and I was sitting right in front of the person and beside the Bishop (Service at the Tomb, so we are not at the altar and I was serving) when the person read the reading and there was a part that said "men" only (this was about the dried bones if I remember correctly) and the person said "men" paused for half-a-second, and then added on-the-fly, "and women".  Literally in my mind I said, "WTF?!"

Okay, fine, I let that slide.  I know that there are places in the Liturgy today that we use "brothers and sisters" instead of "brethren" so I said it is not a big deal.  But this Sunday I had sore throat so I wasn't able to give the usual congregation the pleasure of listening to my singing voice, so I stood quietly letting others do the singing.  That is when I noticed.  At the First Antiphon, "Shout to the Lord all the earth, sing now to His Name, give glory to His praise.."  Then I heard the person say rather clearly, "sing now to God's Name, give glory to God's praise."  Then again at the Anaphora, "Holy, Holy, Holy... blessed is He who comes..." becomes, "blessed is the One..."  Then again before Communion, "Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord, God the Lord has appeared to us."  Again it becomes, "blessed is the One."

And we're a Latinized parish, we have pews with kneelers, and we have the service books in every pew.  Everyone sings with the books open.

I know I'm planning to leave soon for Orthodoxy but I don't want to leave without bringing this up, for their own good.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »

I think you can better bring it up with the person it concerns first before telling the priest.

And kneelers? Shocked
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:39:00 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

I think you can better bring it up with the person it concerns first before telling the priest.

Too late Tongue

And kneelers? Shocked

It is what it is Tongue
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »

Please don't tell me you have Stations of the Cross as well  Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »

I can't remember the last time I was in an Orthodox parish that didn't have kneelers  angel
Luckster
Double Dipper

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »

I cringe every time I hear my priest say, "humankind". But, we all have our faults. The poor man is, in private, a very traditional priest. But, having grown up in San Francisco of the Midwest and spending nearly a decade in Boston, has certainly changed him to be more...sensitive.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

Everyone sings with the books open.

How is this proof of Latinization? Is memorizing the Liturgy now required to be Orthodox?
choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »

I can't remember the last time I was in an Orthodox parish that didn't have kneelers  angel

I am talking about my Eastern Catholic parish.  I don't go to an Orthodox parish until the new year.
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

Everyone sings with the books open.

How is this proof of Latinization? Is memorizing the Liturgy now required to be Orthodox?

Sorry, what I mean by Latinization is that we have pew books in the pews.  And as mentioned above, I am talking about my UGCC parish.
choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »

Please don't tell me you have Stations of the Cross as well  Cheesy

No, but you know they were there in the past because where the stations of the cross would have been have been replaced by Byzantine icons.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »

I would stand in the middle of the nave when this person does this, shout ANATHEMA thrice, and then stomp off in a huff.

Fixed it for ya.

That'll work, too.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »

Explain to them that they're on the fast-track to heresy-ville and should repent.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
choy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »

Explain to them that they're on the fast-track to heresy-ville and should repent.

I've raise the issue to our priest, I'll see what he responds back with.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »

That dude appears to have other issues as well, which make me doubt the sincerity of his idiotic nomenclatural convictions.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »

Sorry, what I mean by Latinization is that we have pew books in the pews.  And as mentioned above, I am talking about my UGCC parish.
What do you mean by pew books in the pews? Huh
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »

Pew books=books in pews, in general--hymnals, Bibles, liturgical books misplaced copies of "Chicken Soup for the Catholic Soul."

Pews=benches, usually with backs and optionally with cushions upon which people sit during the sitting parts of liturgical services. They originated in Ancient Orthodox Egypt as reed mats, and evolved into benches in Medieval Orthodox English monasteries, IIRC. Pew books are normally kept in racks on the backs of pews, or are stacked at the ends of pews, but hipster pews have slots underneath, which is very convenient for not banging one's knees on the back-racks.

None of this should, of course, be confused with the Pew Research Center, which is something else entirely.

choy
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

Sorry, what I mean by Latinization is that we have pew books in the pews.  And as mentioned above, I am talking about my UGCC parish.

We have pews, and there are books in the pews.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:25:09 PM by choy » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:02 PM »

go bell, book and candle on'em.

Proverbs 22:7
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

I've only been in a few Orthodox churches, but every one that I have been in has service books in their pews (yes that means they all have pews). The only churches that I can ever remember visiting that didn't have service books are very non-liturgical Protestants.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
choy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »

I've only been in a few Orthodox churches, but every one that I have been in has service books in their pews (yes that means they all have pews). The only churches that I can ever remember visiting that didn't have service books are very non-liturgical Protestants.

Well, the Orthodox parish I am moving to does not have pews.  Well, there are the pews around the sides for those that need to sit or can't stand at all, but not the Western-style rows of pews throughout the nave.  And they don't have books there.  I know there are some copies of the text for the Liturgy by the door on a table.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »

We have pews, and there are books in the pews.

I guess I don't see why it's a problem for there to be books in the pews, especially if the problem is the pews themselves.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:38:52 PM by Nephi » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »

This is the case for the two Orthodox churches nearby. The nearby monastery doesn't have pews, but it has chairs in the back and then in the middle these chair-like cubicle things that can also be stood in.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »

I am talking about my Eastern Catholic parish.  I don't go to an Orthodox parish until the new year.

I was just pointing out that Orthodoxy isn't as adverse to certain practices as people sometimes imply, at least in my part of America. I've been in a dozen or so parishes over the years, and I'd say that... 11/12 had pews; 11/12 had books in those pews; probably 9/12 had a priest with no facial hair or at most a goatee; probably 10/12 had kneelers; and I think you see where I'm going with this...  police
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »

Thank you for saying that, I was just going to add that I went to a Greek Orthodox church for St. Nicholas Day and they had kneelers AND an organ.  And they knelt for the consecration. So there.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »

Okay, I am in touch now with our priest so I will refrain from commenting about it.  With that I will leave this thread.

Prayers for everyone is much appreciated.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

I was just pointing out that Orthodoxy isn't as adverse to certain practices as people sometimes imply, at least in my part of America. I've been in a dozen or so parishes over the years, and I'd say that... 11/12 had pews; 11/12 had books in those pews; probably 9/12 had a priest with no facial hair or at most a goatee; probably 10/12 had kneelers; and I think you see where I'm going with this...  police

Yes, you were about to explain how the Orthodox Church is teetering on the heretical cliff, about to fall off into the abyss. Next, we'll be having jumbotrons and liturgical dancers. Leotards in HD, oh my!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »

I don't do much "inclusive" language.  I prefer people speak the truth straight out.
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »

Well, in the four Antiochian and three Greek Orthodox parishes I have visited or been a member of, they have all had pews but no kneelers.  You can always identify the newest ex-Catholic converts: they are thee ones that say "Ouch!!" when they go to kneel down and go an extra 3 to 4 inches to the floor rather than to a spongy kneeler!  I remember the first time hitting the floor at my first Greek parish during the procession of icons at the day of Orthodoxy.  Wow, did that hurt, knee caps on marble!   
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: