OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:05:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it Possible to Have a Need that Can't be Satisfied?  (Read 287 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 16, 2012, 03:09:05 AM »

I'm just wondering, I know that this is a big topic in regards to religion. Some people say that religion has to be true because some people truly feel a need for their faith, and in their mind, having a need that cannot be satisfied is impossible, therefore the religion has to be true. CS Lewis alludes to this concept when he writes that if I should find a need my world cannot satisfy, then I probably was not made for this world (paraphrase). But is this really true? Is it possible to need something that cannot be attained or satisfied? And is there a difference between needing something and desiring something?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »

What need cannot be satisfied? 

Yes, there is a very large difference between needing and wanting something.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:48:02 AM »

Depends somewhat on how you are defining the word "needs". For example, some of Maslow's hierarchy of needs seems unnecessary to me (in certain cases anyway). An interesting paper for a psychology course might compare the lives of Christian monks with Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »

How about the need to repent, and turn from your sin.Only you can satisfy that need , yet many never do.

Or the need to confess your sins.

Man must choose to fulfill these needs.

God does not fullfil all needs as many suffer , but salvation is all we need and it is up to us to accept the gift.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »

I think the argument goes along the lines of "nobody can be fully satisfied by anything in this world." It refers to being completely satisfied, and not necessarily a specific need.

This was an argument for the existence of God that I saw in my Logic class. I can't remember the premises and conclusion or I'd share.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »

Contentedness is taught in the bible.  With Contentment you have very few if any wants.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »

If you have a need to get a million dollars, then you might not get that need  satisfied.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »

I think the question revolves more around the notion of our reciprocity with the world. There is light and we have eyes to see it. There is sound and we have ears to hear it. There is air and we have lungs to breathe it. We hunger and there is food which satisfies that hungers. In short we are reciprocal to the world and it to use. We fit this world, this creation. Our nooks align with it's crannies and vis versa so to speak.

For every appetite we have there is a corresponding satisfaction. We have no needs that do not likewise have a satisfaction as well.  Whether we can personally get to what we need or not is another question.  A man may die of thirst in the desert, but that is not because there is no water in the Nile.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: