OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:09:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Style Icons  (Read 1965 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« on: December 27, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »

Dear Friends,

I am wondering if any of you would know where I could obtain nice Western style icons.  I wasn't always a fan of them (I prefer traditional style iconography), but they've grown on me recently, and although I don't think I'd ever get "many", I have two now, and thought it might be nice to see what's out there, and whether I'd like to pick up some more.  Any leads would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 08:02:01 PM »

Though I don't recommend the actual church promoting the site, odox.net has a good deal of iconography, some of which is western-style, and all of which is of western saints.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 08:15:02 PM »

Phil,

There's a Benedictine monk, Brother Claude, at Mt. Angel Abbey in Oregon, near the Old Believers community in Woodward, who writes some beautiful icons. From what I understand, he himself has Byzantine antecedents and was sent out there to assist in a minstry that the Abbey had to a small group of Catholic Old Believers that is no longer extant. His style is essentially Byzantine, but some of his work has a somewhat Western appearance, too much so for my tastes, but it may be along the lines of what you're seeking. Take a look and let me know what you think; I may have a couple of other suggestions, if these aren't Western enough (or too Western).

Icon Gallery

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 09:25:12 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »

Heya, Neil: The link to the icon gallery didnt work for me.  :- Any chance of re-doing it?

hmmmm...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 09:29:40 PM »

Heya, Neil: The link to the icon gallery didnt work for me. :- Any chance of re-doing it?

Donna,

Sorry about that - I forgot that this program doesn't make the url posting process foolproof for the stupid  :'(   and I just used the title on top and as the underlying code. It's fixed now (thanks to the open-ended edit process afforded by this site - thank you, guys Afro).

But, here it is again (so that you don't have to scroll up Wink

Icon Gallery

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 09:30:51 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 01:45:21 AM »

Mor,

I never used to care for the modern styled icons either, but I have come to appreciate them as well.

There is a seller on eBay who has quite a wide selection of icons of this style - here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sofya891

Hope this link proves to be useful.

If anyone else knows a good source for icons of this sort, do post because I have been on the lookout myself!

In Christ,
Aaron
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 12:27:20 PM »

Wow,  that Divine Mercy Icon is actually the first representation that doesn't look like it came from a 99 cent store. I'll have to put this on my favorites in case I need to get a good gift down the road for any RC's I know.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:29:50 PM »

Wow, that Divine Mercy Icon is actually the first representation that doesn't look like it came from a 99 cent store. I'll have to put this on my favorites in case I need to get a good gift down the road for any RC's I know.

LOL!  I know exactly what you mean.  The general DM picture looks so tacky to me, even if it is a picture of Jesus.  That icon is really nice.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 02:18:57 PM »

I'm awaiting your gift Nacho !

Grazie !

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 02:45:41 PM »

Mor,

Some of the Icon prints Istok Enterprises offers are of the so called "western style".

« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 02:46:10 PM by Augustine » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 09:29:29 PM »

Neil's Icon link is nice, I have a small copy of the original Divine Mercy Chaplet and it is not like the newer ones making the rounds. I have recently acquired a Russian Diptych and a nice small handmade/painted box which I will use for my neck crosses etc.

I will re-visit the site prior to Pascha/Easter.

james

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 04:04:14 AM »

I notice that Br Claude depicts St Joseph as a young man in his icons, plus I'm not willing to try and guess the theology behind his "Holy family" icon (Joseph holding the cup and each holding a wafer).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 04:04:42 AM by prodromos » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 06:01:57 AM »

I'm not willing to try and guess the theology behind his "Holy family" icon (Joseph holding the cup and each holding a wafer).

John,

I hadn't noticed that one before Shocked.  Hey, Phil asked for Western style Wink  Maybe matzos?   Huh

Many years,

Neil

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 02:08:02 PM »

I notice that Br Claude depicts St Joseph as a young man in his icons, plus I'm not willing to try and guess the theology behind his "Holy family" icon (Joseph holding the cup and each holding a wafer).

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed that out. It is an "unusual" depiction to be sure.

In Christ,
Aaron

Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: