OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Mark of the Beast a Rejection of the Eucharist?  (Read 621 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 15, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »

I was reading the Gospel of St. John last night and I was on chapter 6--the part where Jesus is discussing the Eucharist. Anyhow, I noticed John 6:66, which says "From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. " and the passage was referring to when people left Him behind because they could not understand the Mystery of the Eucharist. Does the legendary "666" of Revelation refer to this passage in John--to this apostating because you cannot understand the Eucharist? If so, does this mean that Protestants who do not accept the literal presence of the Eucharist and reject the Orthodox Church because of it are bearing the mark of the beast?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:56:30 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »

No. Verse numbers were added much later.

Besides, all the cool kids go with 616. Satan is sneaky like that!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »

Besides, all the cool kids go with 616. Satan is sneaky like that!

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the 616 only appears in a single document. I could be wrong though.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »

I was reading the Gospel of St. John last night and I was on chapter 6--the part where Jesus is discussing the Eucharist. Anyhow, I noticed John 6:66, which says "From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. " and the passage was referring to when people left Him behind because they could not understand the Mystery of the Eucharist. Does the legendary "666" of Revelation refer to this passage in John--to this apostating because you cannot understand the Eucharist? If so, does this mean that Protestants who do not accept the literal presence of the Eucharist and reject the Orthodox Church because of it are bearing the mark of the beast?
Dude, I think you're reading way too much into the Gospel in your effort to conjure up yet another irrational reason to bash Protestants. Give it a rest already.
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »

But isn't that part of the prophecy? Wink
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »

Well now that you put it that way...  Grin
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:56:26 AM »

No one knows what the mark will be, until it happens.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:12:31 AM »

Dude, I think you're reading way too much into the Gospel in your effort to conjure up yet another irrational reason to bash Protestants. Give it a rest already.

Marks for creativity, but:

Stare into the abyss and all that.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

For all we know, James, the verse could be about you.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »

This.

I hear Da Vinci found a code in there or something, though, James. Might want to check that out.  Wink

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »

Hi James, latecomer here. I agree that John 6:66 is a significant verse about the Eucharist; but do you have any argument for the chapter/verse number referring to the "666" of the beast?

BTW, wouldn't it be true to say that Protestants who do not accept the literal presence of the Eucharist reject the CatholicChurch because of it, much more often than rejecting the Orthodox Church because of it?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:03:05 AM »

BTW, wouldn't it be true to say that Protestants who do not accept the literal presence of the Eucharist reject the CatholicChurch because of it, much more often than rejecting the Orthodox Church because of it?

If that's the case, it's most likely only because they don't really know what the Orthodox Church is. And they don't know the difference between the Real Presence and transubstantiation, so if they hear that the Orthodox don't accept transubstantiation, they're likely to think that means the Orthodox share something like their doctrine of the Lord's Supper.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:16 AM »

If that's the case, it's most likely only because they don't really know what the Orthodox Church is. And they don't know the difference between the Real Presence and transubstantiation, so if they hear that the Orthodox don't accept transubstantiation, they're likely to think that means the Orthodox share something like their doctrine of the Lord's Supper.
Actually, the Roman doctrine of transubstantiation is really just a more scholastic way of explaining the Real Presence; other than that, the teachings are the same, that the consecrated bread and wine of Communion are in truth the Body and Blood of Christ. According to most of the literature I've read, the Protestant rejection of transubstantiation is at its heart a rejection of the Real Presence, since it's based on the belief that the bread and wine are mere symbols.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »

Actually, the Roman doctrine of transubstantiation is really just a more scholastic way of explaining the Real Presence; other than that, the teachings are the same, that the consecrated bread and wine of Communion are in truth the Body and Blood of Christ. According to most of the literature I've read, the Protestant rejection of transubstantiation is at its heart a rejection of the Real Presence, since it's based on the belief that the bread and wine are mere symbols.

Er...I don't think you're disagreeing with me. My point is that most Protestants don't understand the distinction between transubstantiation as a scholastic explanation of the Real Presence and the doctrine of the Real Presence simpliciter, and therefore, if they hear that we don't teach the former, they will (wrongly) assume we also reject the latter.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »

Er...I don't think you're disagreeing with me.

True, he doesn't seem to be contradicting you're point; but then Wink I also don't believe that you're contradicting my point.

Grin

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: