OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:59:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CofC Mormons to Consider Inclusive Language in Baptism  (Read 575 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: December 15, 2012, 01:31:09 AM »

In early 2013, the Community of Christ (formerly known as the RLDS) Mormons will consider a number of legislation proposals during its World Conference.

One of which is alternative, gender-inclusive variants of baptismal prayers:

Summary: If approved, this resolution would suggest the church needs to look at the language of the baptismal prayer so alternatives may be created because the current prayer is non-inclusive in attributing the masculine gender to God. Further, the resolution would give the support of the World Conference to the First Presidency for developing optional, additional baptismal prayer language and would ask that a report on this matter be made to the 2016 World Conference.

[...]

Whereas, By tradition and policy Community of Christ requires that Community of Christ ministers officiating at baptisms use the prayer recorded in Doctrine and Covenants 17:21c [“Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.”], but do not require this for baptisms performed by ministers of other Christian churches (Doctrine and Covenants 164:2), which authorized the acceptance of these baptisms, does not require the use of this baptismal prayer; and

Whereas, church tradition permits the use of the word “Spirit” instead of “Ghost” but no other word substitutions in the wording of this baptismal prayer; and

Whereas, The wording given in Doctrine and Covenants 17:21c reflects earlier understandings and sometimes limits the expression of God’s grace and the discretion of Community of Christ

ministers in the sacrament of baptism, and this earlier language is non-inclusive as it attributes masculine gender to God; and

Whereas, The church would be blessed by the availability of alternative baptismal prayers; examples of possible alternative baptismal prayers include:

“Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.”

“As a minister of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.”

“As a minister of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Creator, the Redeemer, and the Sustainer, Amen.”; and
See: Community of Christ's World Conference Legislation page.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:31:23 AM by Nephi » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »

Awesome! I hope they do it! It's easier to spot a duck when it quacks like one!

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »

Summary: If approved, this resolution would suggest the church needs to look at the language of the baptismal prayer so alternatives may be created because the current prayer is non-inclusive in attributing the masculine gender to God.

I'm not even sure what this means, I suspect you have to be tripping on acid to understand their reasoning? The whole idea that you have to be "inclusive" and change what you refer to something as to "include" other people is just plain dumb. Like, can I not refer to a woman as a woman because its not inclusive? Same exact thing, exactly as non-sensical. Plus, instead of speaking of God in terms of how God has revealed himself they are speaking of God in terms of an entity they have fabricated. And then, they go ahead and do it by forming a new god according to their dictates. I really can't have any respect at all for people that do this. If you're going to make it up just go out and say you're making it up.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »

Why does Christianity attract these moonbats so much any way? They're actually increasing my respect for some other religions, where you're never going to see these Reverend Moonbeam Acidtrip types come out and say stuff like abortion is a sacrament, God is what we make him, and subvert their entire religion for some self aggrandizing ideology.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:43:28 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »

Why does Christianity attract these moonbats so much any way?
I think many of these people were born into the religion.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »

“As a minister of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.”

“As a minister of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Creator, the Redeemer, and the Sustainer, Amen.”

These wordings are all terribly heretical.

For the first one: Christ and the Holy Spirit are God as well.

For the second one: Creating is not exclusive to the hypostasis of the Father, redeeming not of the hypostasis of the Son and sustaining isn't an exclusive hypostatic property of the Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:34:58 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: