OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:28:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, Sibling Relationships?  (Read 546 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »

Just out of curiousity, is it natural for people to have problems with their siblings? I'm the oldest out of three, and while I absolutely adore my toddler sister, I--forgive me of the harshness--feel like I absolutely resent my ten year old brother. We're the exact opposites. I'm clean, OCD, organized and on-task, he's a messy, disorganized procrastinator. I'm an analytical thinker, he is an artistic visionary. Anyhow, we just fight so often and they can get pretty bad. Sometimes we cannot go ten minutes in the same room with each other without fighting.

How should I deal with my struggles with my younger brother? He angers me so much, the kid pushes your buttons. Being the older sibling, I'm in charge of him, so whenever he leaves a mess, screws up or does something bad, I usually somehow end up getting in trouble for it by our parents because they always love to shift responsibility onto me. Also, how is this going to affect our future relationships when we are adults? Are we forever going to be somewhat estranged from each other? Or will we look back on our childhood and laugh at our feuds?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »

Just out of curiousity, is it natural for people to have problems with their siblings? I'm the oldest out of three, and while I absolutely adore my toddler sister, I--forgive me of the harshness--feel like I absolutely resent my ten year old brother. We're the exact opposites. I'm clean, OCD, organized and on-task, he's a messy, disorganized procrastinator. I'm an analytical thinker, he is an artistic visionary. Anyhow, we just fight so often and they can get pretty bad. Sometimes we cannot go ten minutes in the same room with each other without fighting.

How should I deal with my struggles with my younger brother? He angers me so much, the kid pushes your buttons. Being the older sibling, I'm in charge of him, so whenever he leaves a mess, screws up or does something bad, I usually somehow end up getting in trouble for it by our parents because they always love to shift responsibility onto me. Also, how is this going to affect our future relationships when we are adults? Are we forever going to be somewhat estranged from each other? Or will we look back on our childhood and laugh at our feuds?
My brother and I are both in our 40's. We both realized many years ago that we can't live with each other even as adults because we constantly squabble over so many things when we do share the same living space. As long as we live in different states, we have a wonderful relationship with each other.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:30:51 AM »

Just out of curiousity, is it natural for people to have problems with their siblings?

YES!!!  laugh

Especially if the siblings do not have the same temperament or personality. Even when they do, it's still not always wine and roses.  Cheesy Sometimes the friction and conflict disappears by adulthood, sometimes, as PtA wrote, it never really does.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:58:36 AM »

You should try being a twin. Now there's a challenge.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »

he's a messy
He's a child.

disorganized
He's a child.

procrastinator
He's a child.

artistic visionary
He's different.

You are also a child. Im not being insulting. But you're still really young. I hated my brother growing up. I even pulled a knife on him once (of course other things were happening at the time). However now he's one my my best friends, and one of my personal heroes. Things'll change. They always do.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: