OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 07:56:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 4363 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »

1. How do you brew it?
2. What brands do you like ? What is your favorite?
3. Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?
4. Do you know how to "Taste" coffee ?
5. What is your opinion of Starbucks?
6. How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

7. If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

1. Simple coffee maker at home. 
2. Folgers.  But I love starbucks (which is really bad,) and I've taken a liking to the coffee sold my the monastery on Vashon Island.
3. Nope. Wink
4. Yep.  Learned in culinary class.
5. It's good when there's not something better, but I like getting my coffees from real cafes if possible. 
6. I use powdered craeamer, which I occasionally enjoy more than liquid creamer.

7. Let me put it this way:  My French Press doesn't crap allover my floor or chew holes into my shoes.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »

See what I mean?   Cheesy
That you can't distinguish what is sarcasm and what's not?

The only thing thats high school here is your comprehension skills.

Actually that's insulting to high school students.
You aren't much better my friend.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »

1. How do you brew it?
6. How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

7. If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

2. Folgers.  But I love starbucks (which is really bad,) and I've taken a liking to the coffee sold my the monastery on Vashon Island.
3. Nope. Wink
4. Yep.  Learned in culinary class.
5. It's good when there's not something better, but I like getting my coffees from real cafes if possible. 
6. I use powdered craeamer, which I occasionally enjoy more than liquid creamer.

7. Let me put it this way:  My French Press doesn't crap allover my floor or chew holes into my shoes.

I use powdered non dairy creamer during the fasts. Much better than liquid I think.

I normally use heavy cream ( no carbs and tastes great). I recommend trying it. Half and half just isnt as good IMHO.

What do other people here use to lighten their coffee?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2013, 04:02:28 AM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

1. How do you brew it?

2. Folgers.  But I love starbucks (which is really bad,) and I've taken a liking to the coffee sold my the monastery on Vashon Island.
3. Nope. Wink
4. Yep.  Learned in culinary class.

7. Let me put it this way:  My French Press doesn't crap allover my floor or chew holes into my shoes.

I use powdered non dairy creamer during the fasts. Much better than liquid I think.

I normally use heavy cream ( no carbs and tastes great). I recommend trying it. Half and half just isnt as good IMHO.

Mostly Coffeemate; occasionally we buy heavy whipping cream. I agree with you about the Half and Half not being as good.

When our heavy cream goes low we sometimes mix half milk with it and it is *still* much better than Half and Half from the store (haven't figured that one out yet). 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:49:18 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »

Milk.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

1. How do you brew it?

2. Folgers.  But I love starbucks (which is really bad,) and I've taken a liking to the coffee sold my the monastery on Vashon Island.
3. Nope. Wink
4. Yep.  Learned in culinary class.

7. Let me put it this way:  My French Press doesn't crap allover my floor or chew holes into my shoes.

Mostly Coffeemate; occasionally we buy heavy whipping cream. I agree with you about the Half and Half not being as good.

When our heavy cream goes low we sometimes mix half milk with it and it is *still* much better than Half and Half from the store (haven't figured that one out yet). 

Maybe we are too trusting and assume half and half is is 50% Milk 50% heavy cream.. when maybe it's just 10% cream or some such.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

Milk.

I find that ordinary milk makes my coffee too watery. Evaporated milk is much better, but it's ridiculously hard to come by in the UK.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »

Milk.

I find that ordinary milk makes my coffee too watery. Evaporated milk is much better, but it's ridiculously hard to come by in the UK.

That's because it all evaporated away  Grin Grin Grin!  Sorry, just couldn't resist that  Wink.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »

So, I logged onto my World Market Explorer account today to discover that I had accumulated three free-bag-of-coffee coupons over the weeks. I printed them each out and then went to World Market with my mother and came home with four bags of my favorite coffee Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:25:04 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »

Milk.

I used to use milk too but then I got used to just plain black coffee without any additives. It tastes better without lightener.

Have you tried adding any spices like cinnamon to your coffee?

Ps. Yay! My first post to OC.net with Opera Mobile!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »

I add milk to instant coffee because it's to sour for me to drink it black. When I' having Polish coffee or something from express / moka pot I drink it black with sugar.

I add cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla from time to time. I quite enjoy the results.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »

If the coffee I'm having includes a lot of frothy milk, a sprinkling of cinnamon on top is just right. Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »

How do you brew it?
What brands do you like ? What is your favorite?
Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?
Do you know how to "Taste" coffee ?
What is your opinion of Starbucks?
How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

Etc.
Usually a drip brewer or espresso percolator.
I like Yaucono or Sello Rojo.
Once in a while I have beans and will use a blade grinder, but only for french press.
"Mmmm, good" or "Ugh, crap."
They have some decent brewed coffee, but there espresso is burnt, which is why you have to add all the creams and syrups to mask the flavor.
Nondairy creamer is ok.
I would get my dogs out.  A french press is a cheap, inanimate object.  I love  my dogs. Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »

A guy in my parish roasts coffee and we sell it during fasts. I bought some beans from India that he had..Really really good.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

A guy in my parish roasts coffee and we sell it during fasts. I bought some beans from India that he had..Really really good.

Has anyone tried organic coffee? In the past, my husband used to use the regular coffee, which was not certified organic, and he got headaches and easily became irritated.

The organic coffee seems to taste better too.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »

Has anyone tried organic coffee? In the past, my husband used to use the regular coffee, which was not certified organic, and he got headaches and easily became irritated.

I had organic coffee and it was really nasty.

littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »

Yeah, I think it tastes better too. . . less bitter.  Right now at home I have Sam's Choice Organic Medium Roast, but my favorite that I've come across so far (and I haven't been able to find it in a while) is Seattle's Best Organic Fair Trade - Level 4
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2014, 12:50:51 AM »

he...easily became irritated.

That's bizarre. Most people drink coffee to prevent themselves from being tired, irritable wrecks.

Might I suggest some of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Altura-Organic-Colombian-32-Ounce/dp/B000KSRTM4

http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/Coffee/NewmansColombianEspecial

No coffee is worth drinking unless it's Colombo Supremo, well, at least to me. The medium, somewhat nutty, bottom-of-the-barrel aftertaste is unmatched.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »

Glad you've noticed that "organic" isn't a flavour  Smiley.

Organic has nothing to do with flavour or quality. It's about the manner of production - and even there, it probably doesn't mean what most of us (myself included) think it means.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »

Organic has nothing to do with flavour or quality. It's about the manner of production - and even there, it probably doesn't mean what most of us (myself included) think it means.
The cat crap coffee kopi is the most organic. It is also supposed to be the best flavored.

Good thing I don't drink coffee for flavor. Tongue

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

The cat crap coffee kopi is the most organic. It is also supposed to be the best flavored.

Good thing I don't drink coffee for flavor. Tongue
At least that's one coffee that's blunt about what flavours it. Perhaps best to not ask about the others  Tongue.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »

The quality of coffee depends mostly on it's country of origin and the altitude it is grown. There is a small issue of mold but "Organic" coffee is not very relevant. The best coffee comes from a single farm's crops that has been carefully selected by a good expert representing a Roaster... "Organic" is not part of the equation.

littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »

The cat crap coffee kopi is the most organic.

You won't get me to drink that stuff . . . . EWWW!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:11 AM »

Precisely.  Terroir and weather have a bigger effect on flavor, but a roaster can screw it all up.  Buy from a local roaster and you 'll get a fresh cup of coffee guaranteed, whether organic or not.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #205 on: Yesterday at 01:09:43 PM »

I started to consider buying an espresso machine and/or coffee grinder. Any recommendations? Ascaso Basic seems to be not too expensive option for an espresso machine. As for the grinder, I saw Wilfa WSCG2  for sale but after some googling it seems that it's not approved buy various online coffee hipsters.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #206 on: Yesterday at 10:21:18 PM »

I started to consider buying an espresso machine and/or coffee grinder. Any recommendations? Ascaso Basic seems to be not too expensive option for an espresso machine. As for the grinder, I saw Wilfa WSCG2  for sale but after some googling it seems that it's not approved buy various online coffee hipsters.

Any grinder will do. You can get a decent one for $20-$40 at any store that sells appliances. However, if you decide to buy an espresso machine, you may want to consider purchasing a better grinder because espresso coffee needs to be particularly fine in order to work properly.

Speaking of espresso, I recently purchased an espresso machine. Does anybody here have any good recipes? I've mostly just been drinking the espresso plain with sugar and cream like regular coffee--it's got a much more natural taste--although I have also taken a liking to cafe au late, which I've been experimenting with making.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #207 on: Yesterday at 10:26:59 PM »

Any grinder will do. You can get a decent one for $20-$40 at any store that sells appliances.

Not entirely true. We've got a cheap grinder that, despite its claim to have variable settings, would grind entirely too coarse when used right out of the box. I had to open it up and make some modifications in order to get a grind that would make a decent cup of joe. Regular coffee, not an espresso grind.

Not to say that a cheap grinder can't be good. Check out Amazon for something in your price range with a good number of reviews (50+) and a good rating.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #208 on: Yesterday at 11:09:00 PM »

Personally, i like my coffee in a nice glass of chocolate milk

SCREW BON JOVI!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #209 on: Today at 12:14:03 AM »

Personally, i like my coffee in a nice glass of chocolate milk

You're not my friend anymore. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: