OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:27:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 4578 times) Average Rating: 0
Dejan

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2012, 07:22:50 PM »

I am old school drinking Greek/Turkish/Balkan style coffee.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:23:37 PM by Dejan » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »

I am old school drinking Greek/Turkish/Balkan style coffee.

Greek coffee.. Awesome

We ate at a Greek restaurant a few months ago and I ordered Greek Coffee for desert. The waiter warned me that it may be too late in the evening and I may have trouble sleeping. I said "I'll be fine"

I tried the coffee from Madagascar today... Too light a roast for me but it's very caffeinated. I may go for that Masters degree after all.. Maybe two of em

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »

What is best thing to do/buy if someone likes coffee but you don't have a coffee maker?

Yerba Mate' - matine is similar to caffeine. It's a South American herbal tea

Cold mate is excellent.
Cold mate is known as tereré. You can spice it up with fresh herbs (I like any of basil, mint, lemon balm, etc.) or a bit of lemon. Really just about anything that appeals. And best served in a proper guampa (cow's horn).

It freaks out the guests though when you pull guampas out of the cabinet. Well, except for Viking kin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:41:44 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

So for Christmas my grandfather bought me a bag of Pete's Coffee and I immediately thought of Marc

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

So for Christmas my grandfather bought me a bag of Pete's Coffee and I immediately thought of Marc

go "like" them on Facebook.

Which blend did you get? Let us know if you like it..

I enjoy Peets more than crack !!

Yay !!!

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »

Yay, got a French Press for Christmas! Now I can stop using the K-cup machine that makes watered down coffee no matter what... Grin

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »

I've been using moka press for couple of days now. I love the idea of coffee maker completely made of metal and it also keeps coffee hot for longer period than French press but unfortunately it seems to leak some metallic aftertaste to the coffee. Is that supposed to be normal or have I just failed to wash it properly?

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »

The monastery on Vashon Island have their own coffee. I normally buy from them, because not only am I getting amazing coffee, I'm helping the Kingdom of God by giving that money to the Church.

www.vashonmonks.com

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »

The monastery on Vashon Island have their own coffee. I normally buy from them, because not only am I getting amazing coffee, I'm helping the Kingdom of God by giving that money to the Church.

www.vashonmonks.com

Yes! My husband and I had the privilege of visiting with them a couple of years ago. What wonderful people - and what DELICIOUS coffee!  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

The last few days our coffee has been little more than brown water. If the bag I got was cafetiere coffee mislabelled as filter coffee, I'll be royally peeved off. Mostly because I don't like using the French press.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

The last few days our coffee has been little more than brown water. If the bag I got was cafetiere coffee mislabelled as filter coffee, I'll be royally peeved off. Mostly because I don't like using the French press.

When I'm feeling super super lazy, sometimes I can get away with making Greek coffee in the French press instead of boiling it twice in the briki.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Ive tried several of the specialty coffee's gathered up by Todd Carmichael of La Colombe on his "Dangerous Grounds" TV show . Its been picked up for another season btw.

I have been drinking so much great coffee lately that I cant call any one of several choices my favorite of the best ever. So I will rate them as:
 #1 Best ever

#2 Would be best ever if you have never had any from group #1

#3 Really really good coffee, but not Best Ever

#1: La Colombe Blue Mountain from Papua New Guinea, La Columbe Ethiopian wild Forrest single source, Peets Major Dickason's Blend.. ( not in any order)

#2 Peet's House Blend

#3 La Columbe Madagascar , Specialty Robusta  (tastes really great but has 3X the caffeine, so handle with care)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:47:22 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »

#1...La Columbe Ethiopian wild Forrest single source...
yes, I tried this this morning and I would definitely put it here, I haven't tried the other stuff yet...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »

In Ybor City (outside of Tampa) there is a coffee roaster (Naviera) that makes great coffee.   The area is full of the aroma of coffee beans roasting, and it is hard to resist passing. It's on my top 10 list of best places for coffee.   It wasn't burnt and bitter like Starbucks, and it's still family-owned, started by a Spanish cigar-roller.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1199701.ece
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:35:52 PM by Adela » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »

+

+
one of these
and
a little of this

= easy, cheap, and not too bad

But...I'm open to suggestions for cheaper, easier, and tastier--I like it strong and highly caffeinated  Grin Grin

Maybe when Mr. Coffee dies, I'll get a French Press.  Or maybe sooner  Wink.

When I lived in Israel, we made it the Turkish/Greek way (when not in a hurry)--absolutely excellent!--or used horrible Nescafe--yuck!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:49:03 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

Sugar + Coffee is not good especially if you have diabetes in your family.
The sugar can cause a dramatic rise in blood sugar. Thus some complex carbs, toast with real butter, or protein is needed to prevent a rapid drop in blood sugar, and thus more craving for sweets. I have a tendency to reactive hypoglycemia so sugar is out for me.

Freshly brewed coffee without sugar and served with real food is best.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

The sugar can cause a dramatic rise in blood sugar. Thus some complex carbs, toast with real butter, or protein is needed to prevent a rapid drop in blood sugar, and thus more craving for sweets. I have a tendency to reactive hypoglycemia so sugar is out for me.

I don't worry about such things.  If I'm going to drink coffee, I'm going to drink what I "like".  Wink  One small sugar cube in a huge mug of coffee is just right to take the edge off any lingering bitterness.

But...if you have health issues and need to be careful...that's another matter.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »

+

+
one of these
and
a little of this

But...I'm open to suggestions for cheaper, easier, and tastier--I like it strong and highly caffeinated  Grin Grin

When I lived in Israel, we made it the Turkish/Greek way (when not in a hurry)--absolutely excellent!--or used horrible Nescafe--yuck!

might i suggest, adding water along with the coffee into your coffee pot :-P

SCREW BON JOVI!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

+

+
one of these
and
a little of this

+1

Good catch!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:14:31 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »

Have you tried moka pot?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »

+

+
one of these
and
a little of this

I just knew I was doing *something* wrong all these years!  What a great idea!  laugh laugh laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »

Have you tried moka pot?

I've seriously considered it.  Seems like it takes too much time and too many steps (I'm basically lazy, you see), and my wife doesn't like me using any cooking utensils made of aluminum--she says I'm already senile enough  Grin.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »

Has anyone tried Kopi Luwak aka Cat Poop Coffee?

Oh, you heard me correctly, coffee that is pooped from a cat like creature called a Civet. It's the most expensive coffee in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jHaCVFHvU
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:40:51 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »

Have you tried moka pot?

I've seriously considered it.  Seems like it takes too much time and too many steps (I'm basically lazy, you see), and my wife doesn't like me using any cooking utensils made of aluminum--she says I'm already senile enough  Grin.

If you don't ground beans yourself I don't think it takes too much effort. Just add water and coffee into it and place it on the stove.

Why is aluminum bad? Does it leak poisonous ingredients or something? Some pots are made of steel so that won't be a problem.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »

Have you tried moka pot?

If you don't ground beans yourself I don't think it takes too much effort. Just add water and coffee into it and place it on the stove.

Why is aluminum bad? Does it leak poisonous ingredients or something? Some pots are made of steel so that won't be a problem.

Not to derail the thread or anything, put some say that cooking with aluminum, especially using acidic foods, causes the aluminum to pit and leach into whatever's being cooked.  Aluminum toxicity is NOT a good thing.  Here's one article of many available: http://www.drpepi.com/aluminum-poisoning.php

So, with the Moka, no double boiling, pot watching, etc.?  A stainless steel Moka is pretty expensive, by the look of it.  Does the coffee actually taste better brewed in one?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

So, with the Moka, no double boiling, pot watching, etc.?  A stainless steel Moka is pretty expensive, by the look of it.  Does the coffee actually taste better brewed in one?

I'm fairly amateur when it comes to moka pots so I don't know anything about double boilings etc. I just wait until the water evaporates into coffee. The sound is a little different when all the water has evaporated- IMO it tastes much better than the regular coffee made with electric drip coffemakers but please note that my reference point is Finnish coffee. I don't know how different it is to the American coffee.

Didn't you attend a Roman parish? Maybe there are some Italian parishioners who could tell you more about moka pots.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:19:45 PM by Alpo » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »

Oh, you heard me correctly, coffee that is pooped from a cat like creature called a Civet. It's the most expensive coffee in the world.

Ew.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »

So, with the Moka, no double boiling, pot watching, etc.?  A stainless steel Moka is pretty expensive, by the look of it.  Does the coffee actually taste better brewed in one?

I'm fairly amateur when it comes to moka pots so I don't know anything about double boilings etc. I just wait until the water evaporates into coffee. The sound is a little different when all the water has evaporated- IMO it tastes much better than the regular coffee made with electric drip coffemakers but please note that my reference point is Finnish coffee. I don't know how different it is to the American coffee.

Didn't you attend a Roman parish? Maybe there are some Italian parishioners who could tell you more about moka pots.

I normally drink one large mug of coffee per day--on the way to work.  Mr. Coffee's *great* in that I just put the filter in, put the water in, put the coffee in, turn it on and I can go about my business getting ready to leave.  I don't have to listen, watch, stand guard, ask for passwords or secret codes, or pay it the least bit of attention until I'm ready--nuttin'  Wink.  Switch it off, pour the coffee, dump the grounds--done!  Easy to clean, too--just the pot and the thingy that holds the filter--rinse and done.  But wifey does that for me  Wink.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »

Streak, eggs and coffee works too Smiley

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »

If I make it at home then it's always Turkish. If I buy it it's espresso . And I have from two to five espressos a day.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »

Look at this youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IETIG1kt9ko

From the looks of this place with caged and apparently distressed animals, I do not think this drink is very healthy.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:50:09 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »

Of course, those are real foods. Smiley

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

Cheap, too.   Roll Eyes  Makes fo a nice treet, but us po folk cain't 'ford dat stuff on reglar bases Grin.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »

Cheap, too.   Roll Eyes  Makes fo a nice treet, but us po folk cain't 'ford dat stuff on reglar bases Grin.

Cheaper food often has GMOs, questionable additives from the GRAS list, including MSG, and processed sugar from GMO crops. For me, eating cheap processed food can land me in the hospital. Then it is not cheap relatively speaking as hospitalizations or a trip to the emergency room rarely cost less than $5,000 nowadays.

So, bring on the real coffee and the real unprocessed food: steak, eggs, cheese, butter, fruit, and veggies. Smell the bacon and the coffee. Yum.

Sorry, forgot it was Wednesday. I apologize for tempting those. Back on the fast. ...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:04:19 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »

For this weekend I feel like trying something creative with my coffee. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or recipes for any treats I could make from coffee?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

For this weekend I feel like trying something creative with my coffee. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or recipes for any treats I could make from coffee?

Mocha ice cream, but not on Wednesdays.

If you take some frozen blueberries, add it to yogurt, sprinkle in some ground roasted coffee, sweeten it to taste (I don't), and then put it through the blender for a few seconds, you have got yourself a real frozen yogurt treat.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:11:52 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

I normally drink one large mug of coffee per day--on the way to work.  Mr. Coffee's *great* in that I just put the filter in, put the water in, put the coffee in, turn it on and I can go about my business getting ready to leave.  I don't have to listen, watch, stand guard, ask for passwords or secret codes, or pay it the least bit of attention until I'm ready--nuttin'  Wink.  Switch it off, pour the coffee, dump the grounds--done!  Easy to clean, too--just the pot and the thingy that holds the filter--rinse and done.  But wifey does that for me  Wink.

Some things are not supposed to easy. Making a little more effort not only offers better coffee but also turns ordinary cup of coffee into a luxury. Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »

If you take some frozen blueberries, add it to yogurt, sprinkle in some ground roasted coffee, sweeten it to taste (I don't), and then put it through the blender for a few seconds, you have got yourself a real frozen yogurt treat.

Hurray!! Thank you Maria!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »

Hurray!! Thank you Maria!

p.s. You can also add some chocolate chips to the mixture.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »

It does grieve me that although I am able, financially, to avoid common modern food, am able to buy organic, for example, so many others do not have this ability.

Common modern food, with the GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame (in about 5000 foods now), often laden with fluoride (if tap water is used) and/or BPA, may send you, Maria, to the hospital. But even those who eat it with no immediate symptoms, are still very likely to suffer in the longer run, with hugely increased rates of cancer, brain damage, infertility, diabetes, auto-immune disorders, immune system damage, and the list goes on. In some cases the rate of maladies has increased among the population 15,000% (not a typo) over the last 30 or 40 years.

As the various economies of the world continue to be deliberately destroyed, as people's purchasing power shrinks and shrinks, their ability to avoid being poisoned, sterilized, and brain-damaged keeps diminishing apace. It is heart-breaking to watch it all happen, all so avoidable, so preventable. But until people wake up and decide they wish to take some kind of action to retain their human dignity, I suppose the weakest will continue to be trampled under the jackboots of the powers that be. Trampled to death, literal death.

The first moment to repentance is to realize that one has fallen and has become abject. So also, the first moment of deliverance from this nasty and death-bearing cocktail, is to realize that we are in quite a predicament!

The blueberry and coffee and yogurt recipe sounds delightful, and I must try it as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:43:13 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »

It does grieve me that although I am able, financially, to avoid common modern food, am able to buy organic, for example, so many others do not have this ability.

Common modern food, with the GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame (in about 5000 foods now), often laden with fluoride (if tap water is used) and/or BPA, may send you, Maria, to the hospital. But even those who eat it with no immediate symptoms, are still very likely to suffer in the longer run, with hugely increased rates of cancer, brain damage, infertility, diabetes, auto-immune disorders, immune system damage, and the list goes on. In some cases the rate of maladies has increased among the population 15,000% (not a typo) over the last 30 or 40 years.

As the various economies of the world continue to be deliberately destroyed, as people's purchasing power shrinks and shrinks, their ability to avoid being poisoned, sterilized, and brain-damaged keeps diminishing apace. It is heart-breaking to watch it all happen, all so avoidable, so preventable. But until people wake up and decide they wish to take some kind of action to retain their human dignity, I suppose the weakest will continue to be trampled under the jackboots of the powers that be. Trampled to death, literal death.

The first moment to repentance is to realize that one has fallen and has become abject. So also, the first moment of deliverance from this nasty and death-bearing cocktail, is to realize that we are in quite a predicament!

The blueberry and coffee and yogurt recipe sounds delightful, and I must try it as soon as I can.

Thanks, Father.
Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »

If I make it at home then it's always Turkish. If I buy it it's espresso . And I have from two to five espressos a day.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »

Some things are not supposed to easy. Making a little more effort not only offers better coffee but also turns ordinary cup of coffee into a luxury. Smiley

Is no laziness in Orthodoxy. Wake quickly. Do prayers, wash, make good coffee not crappy stuff 

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: