OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:36:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 4154 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »

The problem with French press is that coffee gets cold fairly quickly. For that reason I'm looking forward for switching my French press to something like this:

That's how Finns used to make coffee before desecration called "Drip Coffee Maker" was born.

Also, coffee shouldn't be ruined with dairy products no matter whether it's lent or not. People who add milk to their coffee should be excommunicated.

I saw on Dangerous Grounds last night Ethiopians using a Traditional Pot to make coffee. Maybe the technology is similar. let us know how the Finnish Pot works. I know Finland has the highest coffee consumption in the World

here it is

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:44:26 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

What type of sweeteners do you fellows prefer for your coffee? Contrary to what most people say, I actually prefer the powdered non-dairy creamer by Coffeemate. I find that sweeteners like half-n-half or basic milk are actually bad sweeteners because they make your coffee cold, whereas the powder does not.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

I've become very fond of those coffee bags - like tea bags only, er, with coffee inside.

Very convenient & tastes fine if you just want a good basic cup of coffee.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

What type of sweeteners do you fellows prefer for your coffee? Contrary to what most people say, I actually prefer the powdered non-dairy creamer by Coffeemate. I find that sweeteners like half-n-half or basic milk are actually bad sweeteners because they make your coffee cold, whereas the powder does not.

I actually like CoffeeMate too and use it during the Fast. However during regular times I use Heavy Cream. Plain Milk or Half and Half doesn't do it for me anymore. I also try to watch carbs and full cream has very few.

I admire and look up to people who drink coffee black.. i just cant do it..

Pray for me.

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

Also, coffee shouldn't be ruined with dairy products no matter whether it's lent or not. People who add milk to their coffee should be excommunicated.

laugh
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »

Coffee without sweetener is definitely a challenge. I find that it often can cause an upset stomach when you drink it black because there was no sweetener to break up the acid. Either way, I still will occassionally drink my coffee black when I am in a hurry, but it taste ten times better with a sweetener.

Next question, what type of container/cup do you fellows prefer to drink your coffee in? I always use a metallic container with a rubbarized lid, because it stores the heat inside and is portable so I can drink my coffee on the go. Putting coffee in a glass cup causes it to get cold too fast in my opinion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »

Agave nectar, preferably.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »

Coffee without sweetener is definitely a challenge. I find that it often can cause an upset stomach when you drink it black because there was no sweetener to break up the acid. Either way, I still will occassionally drink my coffee black when I am in a hurry, but it taste ten times better with a sweetener.

Next question, what type of container/cup do you fellows prefer to drink your coffee in? I always use a metallic container with a rubbarized lid, because it stores the heat inside and is portable so I can drink my coffee on the go. Putting coffee in a glass cup causes it to get cold too fast in my opinion.

I have a big  mug from "Dough Rollers" in Ocean City and also a mug that says "Gettysburg"

and one the says "Worlds Best Dad" an honor I apparently won last year ( I didnt even know I had been nominated..blush)..

I also have a real Civil War tin cup with lid.. Great in the field I should scrap out the rust and use it at home,,,

As I recall some guys would simply boil up coffee beans in a pot..

Some connoisseurs say paper cups allow the best flavor.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:11 PM »

okay, time to come out of the closet..as it were.

I LOVE Peets Coffee... They have several cafe's out west but none anywhere near where i live. They began selling it at the local grocery ...

Holy Crapola !  It is by far the best coffee I have ever tasted. If you go on You Tube and type in Peets Coffee you can watch  people raving about it.

As one guy said "It's not watery or wimpy". It has a full taste ( not bitter, no good coffee is bitter. If it is, it means that it is burnt)
It hits 100 notes. Goes down with one taste, hits the tummy with another and has a long finish..One person said drinking Peets is more like having a meal. i don't have to rush back for another cup.

I like what they call "Major Dickanson's Blend" and also their "House Blend". They have others that I will try asap.

They recommend that you buy on-line as coffee beans tend to lose flavor after 10 days. There is no telling how long the coffee has been in transit and then sitting on the shelf in a store.. I havent done that yet but i can notice some diminution of flavor after several days.

Peets is killer good
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:55:21 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »

And now the Starbucks question.

I somehow participated in a a taste test years ago when they were first expanding. They were deciding of three differnt blends. i remember not liking the one they settled on even back then.

Starbucks is a good news bad news deal. The good news is that they have introduced a high quality, fresh coffee to the masses who were drinking crap. People drink really really really bad coffee and simply dont know better.

Starbucks is not crap. The bad news is that it is roasted too dark. It is not bitter due to being burnt in the coffee maker which is usually the problem. It is roasted to the second highest level of darkness, which is waaaay too much. If you go to the final level most people wouldn't drink it. Starbucks hurts my stomach. I heard one person call them "Char-bucks"

However, once in awhile I like a cup. Even better, I have been drinking their "Blonde" roast which I assume is not roasted so dark. Much better, actually pretty good.  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:05:55 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »

Peet's Coffee is surprisingly good. I would agree with you on Starbucks. I cannot drink their coffee at all. The beans are burnt in my opinion and thus gives the coffee an overwhelmingly bold and charred flavor. As for the quality of the beans they use, I do not know how good it is. But either way, they ruin them through over-roasting. I've also found that fresh grocery store brand coffee beans are also surprisingly very good and refreshing, and economical as well. I think the reason for this is because their beans are usually grown locally and are thus fresher than coffee that has been transported here from somewhere else.

A good, very sweet, light yet flavorful coffee blend for the holidays is Kona coffee from the Hawaiin Isles. It is very sweet, yet rich in flavor and wholesome. Perfect for the holidays if you want something lighter and sweeter. I get mine at World Market. Linky

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »

I saw on Dangerous Grounds last night Ethiopians using a Traditional Pot to make coffee. Maybe the technology is similar. let us know how the Finnish Pot works. I know Finland has the highest coffee consumption in the World

here it is

We have highest coffee consumption because most of the Finns drink light-roasted coffees with milk so it doesn't taste so stong as most of the other variations of coffee. Also, nowadays just about all drink filtered coffees which makes it even more milder. I used to drink my coffee that way but after getting used to darker roasts without milk the customary Finnish coffee starts to taste somewhat watery and bitter.

Using of Finnish pot is fairly easy. Just add the water to the pot, boil the water on a kitchen stove, add the suitable amount of coffee, let it boil briefly two times and allow it to drew for some time. The result is a bit stronger and smoother than filtered coffee. Not as strong as in many other countries but still better than the filtered version.

The sad thing is that before the Winter War and the Continuation War Finns used to drink darker-roasted coffees just like the Swedes but people switched to lighter variations because it was cheaper and there was lack of everything during and after the Wars. Bloody Soviets, you ruined our coffee. police
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:05:54 AM by Alpo » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

here it is

We have highest coffee consumption because most of the Finns drink light-roasted coffees with milk so it doesn't taste so stong as most of the other variations of coffee. Also, nowadays just about all drink filtered coffees which makes it even more milder. I used to drink my coffee that way but after getting used to darker roasts without milk the customary Finnish coffee starts to taste somewhat watery and bitter.

Using of Finnish pot is fairly easy. Just add the water to the pot, boil the water on a kitchen stove, add the suitable amount of coffee, let it boil briefly two times and allow it to drew for some time. The result is a bit stronger and smoother than filtered coffee. Not as strong as in many other countries but still better than the filtered version.

The sad thing is that before the Winter War and the Continuation War Finns used to drink darker-roasted coffees just like the Swedes but people switched to lighter variations because it was cheaper and there was lack of everything during and after the Wars. Bloody Soviets, you ruined our coffee. police

The good news is that lighter roasted coffee has more caffeine. You would think it is the other way around, the darker the more caffeinated but the lighter the roasting the less caffeine is lost..

Does a Finish coffee pot have some sort of filter that removes the grounds when you pour it out of the spout?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »

Does a Finish coffee pot have some sort of filter that removes the grounds when you pour it out of the spout?

Not that I know. I was born after people had generally neglected use of that kind of pots though. I've seen elderly ladies using small metal sievers for that.

It might be a little troublesome in daily use but I think it's worth the trouble because one gets better coffee and using that kind of pot is fairly nostalgic for Finns. I also use my grandmothers's coffee grinder (like the one below) so I should probably get a proper kind of coffee pot too.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »

We have highest coffee consumption because most of the Finns drink light-roasted coffees with milk so it doesn't taste so stong as most of the other variations of coffee. Also, nowadays just about all drink filtered coffees which makes it even more milder.

Same with us (who come a close second). I'm not a big fan.

I used to drink my coffee that way but after getting used to darker roasts without milk the customary Finnish coffee starts to taste somewhat watery and bitter.

+1
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

I'm looking for a new way to make coffee. What would you fellows recommend? That Finnish coffee pot looks good. Keep in mind I mostly brew South American coffees.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »

Not that I know. I was born after people had generally neglected use of that kind of pots though. I've seen elderly ladies using small metal sievers for that.

It might be a little troublesome in daily use but I think it's worth the trouble because one gets better coffee and using that kind of pot is fairly nostalgic for Finns. I also use my grandmothers's coffee grinder (like the one below) so I should probably get a proper kind of coffee pot too.

That thing looks like an old-fashioned dresser to me.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »

I'm looking for a new way to make coffee. What would you fellows recommend? That Finnish coffee pot looks good. Keep in mind I mostly brew South American coffees.

I googled around for you and found this: "Equipment Review, Best Coffee Maker" on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=wUF3ESN3BUQ&NR=1

The upshot is no drip coffee maker will do once you get used to drinking good coffee.

Your best choices are a French Press or maybe the Finish Pot we have been talking about. I'm going to try it myself.

There is also a futuristic contraption called a Vacuum Coffee maker that looks unnecessary but people claim the coffee is very good.

Good fresh beans from a good reputable roaster, properly ground,made with fresh water heated to 207 and then brewed in a French Press.

That is pretty much the mountain top unless you want to make espresso. You can also look into roasting beans at home.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:40:28 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »

Can you guys recommend me a good Finnish coffee pot for $50 or less? I live in California.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »

I really do enjoy a good cup of coffee.  One of life's little pleasures.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

I would agree.

But now that I've read this thread, I realize: I have apparently never had a good cup of coffee.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »

The best coffees are Ethiopian Coffee and Spiced Turkish Coffee. For the wimps who can't take such strong coffee, my favorite "light" coffee is Gevalia.

One day, I'd like to try Kopi Luak...YOLO!

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »

The best coffees are Ethiopian Coffee and Spiced Turkish Coffee. For the wimps who can't take such strong coffee, my favorite "light" coffee is Gevalia.

One day, I'd like to try Kopi Luak...YOLO!

I have asked for a pound of Ethiopian Coffee for Christmas.

Last weeks episode  of Dangerous Grounds was about Todd Carmichael's trip to Ethiopia. He went to the Forrest area where coffee grows wild and was the first place it was brewed into a drink over 1000 years ago. He has for sale some of that coffee. It's supposed to taste fruity.

Has anyone had coffee from La Colombe, his brand of coffee?

http://lacolombe.com/ 

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »

I would agree.

But now that I've read this thread, I realize: I have apparently never had a good cup of coffee.

Well if you enjoy it, then it's good.

However, it's possible to up your game but be warned, it's hard to go back to the daily swill once you have.

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »

And to think I used to say that coffee remains drinkable for three days. Starting on the fourth day after it was made, you might as well throw it out.

High expectations? Behold low expectations!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »

And to think I used to say that coffee remains drinkable for three days. Starting on the fourth day after it was made, you might as well throw it out.

High expectations? Behold low expectations!

Repent Brother !

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:10 AM »

I see this thread just got useful.  Cool
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 05:05:47 AM »

I would agree.

lol same here.

I gave up on coffee a long time ago.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »

I would agree.

lol same here.

I gave up on coffee a long time ago.

No doubt.. Most coffee people drink is watery and burnt and brewed improperly..

And when they think they have purchased a better grade of coffee it's from Starbucks which roasts their coffee too dark for most people, so thy think coffee needs caramel and whipped cream and mint to taste any good.

Fortunately good coffee is easy to make.

More later

Fort

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »

Okay. Here is a step by step instruction on how to make your first cup of really good coffee. Other people will do things a little differently than me and have different tastes. But if youre new to better coffee this will do as a good start. I will keep this inexpensive but not free. I will assume you have some disposable income. If not, save up.

1. Buy a French Press. The top of the line is only around $39.00 but you can easily find one for around $20.00. $22.95 or there about.
You can go into a Starbucks and buy one or 'Bed Bath and Beyond' sells them cheap or any number of cookware stores or cookware sections of department stores. You can go to Amazon.com and have one sent. Here is what one looks like:

Coffee should be made one cup at a time, maybe two cups. That is why the coffee gets burned in a drip or perk since it sits there on the heat for a long time. You make one cup and drink it right away.

A French Press will only make one or two cups. There are some that can make 5 at a time. Don't buy it.

2. Go to Peet's Coffee on-line and buy a pound of either their House Blend or even better "Major Dickason's Blend"
Just trust me on this. There are many great choices out there but if you are a newbie Peet's is sure to please. You can expand to other Roasters ( People who roast and sell coffee) later.

Here is the link:

http://www.peets.com/default.asp?rdir=1&ftv=n\

3. You probably dont have a coffee grinder yet so buy the Peet's ground for a French Press. They give you the option of sending you the whole bean or ground for drip or French Press. It must be ground coarsely for a French Press or it wont work so well.When you are ready to buy your own grinder let us know and advice will follow. It is better to grind the beans yourself but not mandatory at first.

4. Google on how to make coffee with a French Press. or go to You tube. it's very easy.

Put two or three tablespoons of the ground coffee into the Press. Heat water for one cup ( Microwave it in the cup itself or boil it and then use your cup for a measure). Pour it into the Press and stir a few times with a spoon.

Put the lid on and wait about 5 minutes and then press down the plunger which will stop the brewing. Brew longer for stronger, shorter for weaker.

5. Pour and add sugar and cream to taste.

6. Drink

7. Thank God for his bounty.

Amen

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

How Americans made their coffee before electric coffeemakers were invented?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:40:56 PM by Alpo » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

How Americans made their coffee before electric coffeemakers were invented?

I seem to recall at Civil War Re enactments that they threw the whole beans into a pot of boiling water.  

How did they make coffee in Ethiopia 1000 years ago? I think there are special pots that you put the ground coffee in the top and then pour hot water through
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:00:30 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »

Lately we use a Moka pot. To me it brews the best coffee I have ever had anywhere -better than from espresso machines costing thousands. I will also give a nod to the French Press, also fantastic, but I just love the Moka brew.

We mix about 40% hot water with it afterward as it is really too thick even if you like it thick.

The new Impress, and the Aeropress, look interesting; we may pull the trigger and try these at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inventiveculture/impress-coffee-brewer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:36:39 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2012, 04:00:07 AM »

I hate to admit this but Swedes do it better:

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »

Can anyone give me instructions on how to make coffee the Finnish way or recommend me a Finnish coffee pot?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2012, 04:19:34 AM »

Can anyone give me instructions on how to make coffee the Finnish way or recommend me a Finnish coffee pot?

I hope not. It's not that good.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »

How do you brew it?

Bog-standard coffee maker, I'm afraid. I'm not really that picky. I brew for myself and husband, so it's always water up to the 4-cup mark and 3 slightly rounded scoops of grounds.

What brands do you like ? What is your favorite?

We've been using Douwe Egberts for a long time. I like trying different brands and blends, so no real favourite, but I tend to prefer mid-to-dark roasts.

Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?

No, but eventually we'll get there.

Do you know how to "Taste" coffee ?

Not sure what you mean by 'tasting'... but I enjoy my coffee at leisure. I tend to mistrust people who down it like a big shot, even if it isn't an espresso.

What is your opinion of Starbucks?

Overpriced, for what they offer. If I'm having coffee out, I head to Costa.

How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

I use non-dairy creamer by default. Evaporated milk is ideal, but it's unpopular here, and I dream of the day Brits will discover individual portions.

If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

Please. The laptop is always the first, since the Kindle is no trouble to slip into a pocket. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »

A box from La Colombe arrived... I hope it's the Ethiopian coffee I asked for.  Smiley

Santa's cool and knows what I want.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »

Someone at the office gave away a bag of orange coffee. I picked it up. We'll see how good it is tomorrow.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
WPM
Archon

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »

Coffee hour is a great time to chat and socially interact. <wave>
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:05 PM »

Enjoying a cup of my favorite coffee right now. 

I wonder, how long does it take for coffee to go bad.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »

Sipping some coffee before services tonight, otherwise ill fall asleep!!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »

The fast before receiving the Eucharist on Sunday is a real killer because without my coffee early in the morning, I have a very hard time getting prepared for Church and standing through the Liturgy without falling asleep.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »

Yay..... Got coffee from Ethiopia and another lb. from  Madagascar for Saint Herman's day today..

She got it from La Colombe owned by Todd Carmichael the guy on the TV show Dangerous Grounds.

The Ethiopian is from the province where coffee was first brewed. It isnt mixed with any other region's beans and grows wild.

Really Good.... Lighter Roast than I usually drink. Fruity...

The Madagascar coffee is actually Robusta ( lower grade) but the highest end of Robusta. Dark as F ing night.. Triple the caffeine. They warn you that it is not for Newbies... Will try later today and report back. Still sipping the Ethiopian...   

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

The fast before receiving the Eucharist on Sunday is a real killer because without my coffee early in the morning, I have a very hard time getting prepared for Church and standing through the Liturgy without falling asleep.
You either have a serious caffeine addiction or are simply not getting enough sleep.

I've been surprised that Sunday mornings I have no problem skipping breakfast and coffee. Can't do it any other day. In fact, on those odd Sundays when I won't be receiving Communion for some reason it seems odd to have even a light breakfast.

Keep at it. It will take a few years - but you likely have many ahead of you. It will be worth it.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: