Okay. Here is a step by step instruction on how to make your first cup of really good coffee. Other people will do things a little differently than me and have different tastes. But if youre new to better coffee this will do as a good start. I will keep this inexpensive but not free. I will assume you have some disposable income. If not, save up.
1. Buy a French Press. The top of the line is only around $39.00 but you can easily find one for around $20.00. $22.95 or there about.
You can go into a Starbucks and buy one or 'Bed Bath and Beyond' sells them cheap or any number of cookware stores or cookware sections of department stores. You can go to Amazon.com and have one sent. Here is what one looks like:
Coffee should be made one cup at a time, maybe two cups. That is why the coffee gets burned in a drip or perk since it sits there on the heat for a long time. You make one cup and drink it right away.
A French Press will only make one or two cups. There are some that can make 5 at a time. Don't buy it.
2. Go to Peet's Coffee on-line and buy a pound of either their House Blend or even better "Major Dickason's Blend"
Just trust me on this. There are many great choices out there but if you are a newbie Peet's is sure to please. You can expand to other Roasters ( People who roast and sell coffee) later.
Here is the link:http://www.peets.com/default.asp?rdir=1&ftv=n\
3. You probably dont have a coffee grinder yet so buy the Peet's ground for a French Press. They give you the option of sending you the whole bean or ground for drip or French Press. It must be ground coarsely for a French Press or it wont work so well.When you are ready to buy your own grinder let us know and advice will follow. It is better to grind the beans yourself but not mandatory at first.
4. Google on how to make coffee with a French Press. or go to You tube. it's very easy.
Put two or three tablespoons of the ground coffee into the Press. Heat water for one cup ( Microwave it in the cup itself or boil it and then use your cup for a measure). Pour it into the Press and stir a few times with a spoon.
Put the lid on and wait about 5 minutes and then press down the plunger which will stop the brewing. Brew longer for stronger, shorter for weaker.
5. Pour and add sugar and cream to taste.
7. Thank God for his bounty.