Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 27405 times)

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Coffee
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
I like my coffee like I like my women. :)

You like red hairs in your coffee?

falls over laughing

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
I meant hot and sweet, or since I rarely drink coffee maybe I meant I don't like women often? I'm not sure. On the other hand, regarding red... maybe some milk to make it pale, some sugar to make it sweet, heat or reheat to make sure it's hot, and some cinnamon for streaks of red? Yes... maybe you are more correct than I realized!

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

falls over laughing

Ha!  I used to hear something like this frequently when I was a waitress.  "I want my coffee blonde and sweet, just like you", or other variations.....

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

falls over laughing

Ha!  I used to hear something like this frequently when I was a waitress.  "I want my coffee blonde and sweet, just like you", or other variations.....

Perhaps I'm just very shy and unsocial around women, but hearing a comment like that, in my opinion, is akin to telling a waitress that you like her chest or something along those lines. If I said something like that, I'd be blushing red, shaking, stuttering, and expecting the slap across the face. Do people really say comments like that left and right to women?

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »

falls over laughing

Perhaps I'm just very shy and unsocial around women, but hearing a comment like that, in my opinion, is akin to telling a waitress that you like her chest or something along those lines. If I said something like that, I'd be blushing red, shaking, stuttering, and expecting the slap across the face. Do people really say comments like that left and right to women?

Yes, actually.  We hear them quite a bit.   Some men can get away with it because they just come across as harmless, friendly guys and that isn't that insulting.  There's sort of a feeling that these guys say things like this to many women so it really doesn't mean anything.   But if the guy has any bit of a creepy factor then look out. That sort of guy can't get away with it too easily.

Here's an example of a creepy man:  When I switched careers from programming into nursing, I had to spend some time in the ER as a student.  Well, this elderly patient came in and was quite ill.  He was accompanied by his sister, who was deaf, and his sister's husband, who was a creepy old man.   This creepy old man was saying things to me while his wife was right there but couldn't hear him.  Things like "I hope you are married because that would be a terrible waste of that body".  Bleh.

But, back to coffee, the "blonde and sweet" comment isn't that insulting.....  I'll take that any day over others I have heard....

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #230 on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »
Today is National Coffee Day...  :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »

I should really learn to make that some day. I've seen some videos and it doesn't seem to be too complicated.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:47:44 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »
Oh man, I forgot today was the day. I do like a mocha and bagel now and then. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »

I should really learn to make that some day. I've seen some videos and it doesn't seem to be too complicated.

Yes, start there, and soon you'll be on to:

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Looking forward to spawning Cthulhu in my coffee mug.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
I had Ethiopian coffee this morning... The quality can really vary.

If you are not buying from a top roaster like La Columbe you could be getting stock beans via the government consortium... Always pretty good, rarely great.

But the good stuff from Ethiopia has a distinct blueberry element. Some beans are what they call "Natural" which means the beans are kept inside the fruit while being sun dried... Those are knock your socks off fruity tasting.   

The very best I have had is from the original Forrest where coffee was first discovered. It grows wild. A National treasure.

Look for single source ( all beans from the same farm) Ethiopian. It is much much better than the run of the mill stock that mixes beans from all regions and sometimes not kept properly. Buy from La Columbe, Peets, Seattle Coffee Works and a few others who sell top of the line.
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
Yeah, Peet's.... I recently found out about Peet's.   They make the best cappuccino.    And, their latte drinks are just how I like them, not very sweet, just slightly sweet.  None of that mostly syrup like Karo syrup that is sold at other coffee  shops.  At Peet's they really showcase the coffee, not the sugar.

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »

Bold and strong, right?
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
Few tips about to make better filtered coffee. The guy is using a moccamaster but I believe the tips will apply to other that kind of coffee makers too.

http://youtu.be/O1f-aU5bEA4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:36:57 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2014, 01:41:54 AM »
Looking forward to spawning Cthulhu in my coffee mug.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
I got a moka pot for Christmas, and it is one of the most fantastic things i own

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
I got a moka pot for Christmas, and it is one of the most fantastic things i own

I always get to chuckle when people call it as moka pot. "Moka" means "failure" in Finnish.

Anyway, I use moka pot too. The only downside is that it makes regular coffee taste bad compared to the coffee you're having at home.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2015, 04:22:50 AM »
I was wondering what the heck a "moka pot" was.  Then I looked it up and thought, "Oh, that."  I grew up knowing it as a "greca."

"Moka" means "failure" in Finnish.

Anyway, I use moka pot too. The only downside is that it makes regular coffee taste bad compared to the coffee you're having at home.

LOL.  It helps to use good, dark roasted coffee with an espresso grind.  A bigger grind means the pressurized water just slips through rather than being pushed through the grounds.  It makes a big difference.  I thought I could do that when I ran out of the espresso ground coffee I usually have.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline NCNewbie

« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »
A moka pot or good French press.  Do agree with hecma though.  Good dark roast, espresso blend or Turkish blend are the best.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2015, 05:55:25 AM »
Anyone here roast their own coffee beans at home?  If so, have you tried it with an air popcorn popper?
http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:55:35 AM by hecma925 »

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
Anyone here roast their own coffee beans at home?  If so, have you tried it with an air popcorn popper?

There is a guy in my parish who roasts beans he gets from sweetmarias. We sell it during each long fasting period to raise money. Excellent stuff.

You know you have walked into the right Church when they serve french pressed, home roasted, single origin coffee. 
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »

There is a guy in my parish who roasts beans he gets from sweetmarias. We sell it during each long fasting period to raise money. Excellent stuff.

You know you have walked into the right Church when they serve french pressed, home roasted, single origin coffee. 

I am envious.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »

Renato Bialetti, the coffee king whose name is synonymous with the iconic aluminum stovetop esspresso makers, died last week at the age of 93.

In an unusual and strangely befitting tribute, the ashes of this well-known Italian coffee impresario were placed in a giant Moka pot, which he made famous, at his funeral this week in Montebuglio, Italy.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/02/20/italian-coffee-king-buried-in-giant-espresso-pot/?intcmp=hphz06

I wonder if his body smelled of roasted single-origin, fair trade, Rainforest Alliance beans as it was cremated.

Memory eternal, l’omino con i baffi (trans. the little man with the mustache).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:35:13 AM by hecma925 »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2016, 06:43:44 AM »
I am starting a thread about drinking coffee.

I have become coffee motivated lately and I was hoping there are others here who would like to geek out on Coffee.

How do you brew it?
What brands do you like ? What is your favorite?
Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?
Do you know how to "Taste" coffee ?
What is your opinion of Starbucks?
How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

Etc.

I know I'm supposed to hate Starbucks, but I'm really addicted to their coffee. I used to load my coffee with cream and sugar, but then I got used to drinking it black. And that's the way I like it now, especially if it's quality coffee brewed the right way, a la Starbucks. As much as I'd love to invest in a quality coffee maker and learn how to brew great coffee the right way at home, I frankly don't have the money or the patience. Yes, it's ridiculous that I pay $2.50 for a cup of black coffee, but that's pretty much the one luxury in my life I splurge on. And Starbucks is always consistent with giving me a great cup of coffee each and every time as well as very friendly service in a comfortable, clean environment. And our local Starbucks coffee shop here in Jackson, Mississippi has really become a gathering place where lots of people from different backgrounds in town have gotten to know each other well. So that's pretty cool.

So in a nutshell: Give me plain black coffee, preferably dark roast, from a good place like Starbucks.  And one large (venti) cup a day is just right for me. :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »
As much as I'd love to invest in a quality coffee maker and learn how to brew great coffee the right way at home, I frankly don't have the money or the patience.

You could probably find a decent French press for a few dollars especially if you mind having a second hand one. Find some hipster neighbourhood somewhere near you and visit their thrift stores.

I had Ethiopian coffee today. Not as nice as I expected but still better than most coffee around here. Judging by the accent and decor the people running the café seemed to be Ethiopians themselves instead of local coffee nerds which was nice too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:24:52 AM by Alpo »

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
It doesn't take a lot of money. They start at the equivalent of 6-7 Starbucks cups and last indefinitely.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:57:22 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
It doesn't take a lot of money. They start at the equivalent of 6-7 Starbucks cups and last indefinitely.

Thanks Alpo and Arachne. I will definitely look into it. Although I still enjoy going out for coffee and meeting interesting people. But even if I could reduce my Starbucks trips by half, that would save me a lot of money. So thanks again!  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2016, 11:34:45 AM »

Thanks Alpo and Arachne. I will definitely look into it. Although I still enjoy going out for coffee and meeting interesting people. But even if I could reduce my Starbucks trips by half, that would save me a lot of money. So thanks again!  :)

Selam
Why are you supposed to hate Starbucks?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2016, 04:11:21 AM »

Selam

And you can still get Starbucks coffee beans, even at most grocery stores.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2016, 04:15:15 AM »
What's your take on flavored coffee? Yea or nay?

Disgusting.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »
What's your take on flavored coffee? Yea or nay?
A crime against humanity.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »
Chooce your destiny:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:53:57 AM by Alpo »

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
What is best thing to do/buy if someone likes coffee but you don't have a coffee maker?

Get a French Press. It makes the best tasking coffee in any event. It is very cheap, nonelectric and you can store it in a cabinet.
It just makes one or two cups at a time. There are lots of Youtubes about how to use one.

I had my first experience with a french press, earlier this year, and I absolutely loved it better than any other way of making coffee I have ever seen.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »
^It is a lot easier and cheaper than some other ways of brewing. I'm trying to learn to make manual filter coffee at the moment. I attended a local coffee festival some time ago and got a few really nice coffees there which I think were manually filtered. It's a bit more bothersome way to make coffee but what wouldn't a hipster do for his coffee.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
^It is a lot easier and cheaper than some other ways of brewing. I'm trying to learn to make manual filter coffee at the moment. I attended a local coffee festival some time ago and got a few really nice coffees there which I think were manually filtered. It's a bit more bothersome way to make coffee but what wouldn't a hipster do for his coffee.

Like the French press, having control of the water temperature (as opposed to the usually cooler temps of a standard drip machine) does change the flavor for the better.  It's pretty cool how a few degrees' difference can make in the final product.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »
Course, I have never been a big coffee drinker.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »

Like the French press, having control of the water temperature (as opposed to the usually cooler temps of a standard drip machine) does change the flavor for the better.  It's pretty cool how a few degrees' difference can make in the final product.

A good point and probably the only downside of manual filtering. There are automated drip machines that keep the right temperature of water through the whole brewing process. There's less control when one pours the water over coffee manually.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:05:08 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »

A good point and probably the only downside of manual filtering. There are automated drip machines that keep the right temperature of water through the whole brewing process. There's less control when one pours the water over coffee manually.

Some would say there is more control, but I guess one would have to try it out.  I pretty much stick to moka pot, French press, and auto-drip.  Definitely, the more you pay on the machines, the better it will be (temp. control and water dispersion over grounds).  My auto-drip is cheap and makes ok coffee.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »

What is the temperature of the water supposed to be?

I thought you just boiled the water in the kettle then poured it over the grinds?  I use a French press, if that makes a difference.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »

What is the temperature of the water supposed to be?

I thought you just boiled the water in the kettle then poured it over the grinds?  I use a French press, if that makes a difference.

About 200 degrees Fahrenheit.  A lot of auto-drip machines don't get that high.  I know mine gets to about 180-185.  It makes an ok cup, but I tried the same coffee again in a French press and water at that temp. and the results were better.

And with French press you can always leave it longer for a stronger tasting brew.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »

Some would say there is more control, but I guess one would have to try it out.

I was talking about the temperature. Of course otherwise it gives more control which why I recently bought a manual drip brewer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:47:27 PM by Alpo »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
East-African Coffee Taste
https://youtu.be/cEYft7iKNOs

Coffee nerdism ftw!

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
. . . through my car window, in a Styrofoam cup.
Dads of Orthodoxy:
On MeWeOn Facebook

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
. . . through my car window, in a Styrofoam cup.

Kinky.