OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:51:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 5161 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »

The "You Can Sleep When You're Dead" reminds me of how Mother Abbess Andrea would always upbraid me if I would tell her she must get some rest:

"Father! There's plenty of time to rest hereafter!"
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »

I normally drink one large mug of coffee per day--on the way to work.  Mr. Coffee's *great* in that I just put the filter in, put the water in, put the coffee in, turn it on and I can go about my business getting ready to leave.  I don't have to listen, watch, stand guard, ask for passwords or secret codes, or pay it the least bit of attention until I'm ready--nuttin'  Wink.  Switch it off, pour the coffee, dump the grounds--done!  Easy to clean, too--just the pot and the thingy that holds the filter--rinse and done.  But wifey does that for me  Wink.

Some things are not supposed to easy. Making a little more effort not only offers better coffee but also turns ordinary cup of coffee into a luxury. Smiley

Is no laziness in Orthodoxy. Wake quickly. Do prayers, wash, make good coffee not crappy stuff 

I know crappy coffee when I taste it--God knows I've had enough of it over the years.  That's why I "Wake quickly. Do prayers, wash, make good coffee not crappy stuff". Grin  If coffee were higher on my list of priorities....but it's not.  Now, if we were talking red wine, dark beer, Irish whiskey.... Grin (all of which I consume in extreme moderation, rather infrequently, and with IMMENSE enjoyment--that, my friends, is "luxury". Grin Grin)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

If coffee were higher on my list of priorities....but it's not.

Heretic!

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »

Heretic!

LOL!  Hey, I've been called worse and survived it  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »

My dog drank what was left of my coffee this morning.. This is the second time he has done that. He seems to have develped a taste for it..Good thing he's so cute.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »

Heretic!

I agree with J Michael. I don't mind bad coffee much (unless it's instant coffee). I have much less tolerance for bad tea.

My dog drank what was left of my coffee this morning.. This is the second time he has done that. He seems to have develped a taste for it..Good thing he's so cute.

My cat liked coffee too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »

Chocolate can kill dogs. Coffee is related to it. Be careful.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »

Yeah, not a great idea to let cats and dogs have coffee or chocolate--unless you believe in "assisted suicide", that is  Roll Eyes.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »

Dog's will eat and drink just about anything--even their own or others' feces.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:33:41 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »

Speaking of "coffee", Putumayo has a great collection of world music cd's, two of which are called "Music From the Coffee Lands"  GREAT stuff.  Okay....sorry for the digression, just doing a little free associating  Grin.
http://www.putumayo.com/content/music_coffee_lands (and no, I have no connection to them whatsoever, I just love the music they publish.)

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

Speaking of "coffee", Putumayo has a great collection of world music cd's, two of which are called "Music From the Coffee Lands"  GREAT stuff.  Okay....sorry for the digression, just doing a little free associating  Grin.
http://www.putumayo.com/content/music_coffee_lands (and no, I have no connection to them whatsoever, I just love the music they publish.)

I have them both (along with another, oh, 50-something Putumayo albums Wink). I like the line-up of the first one better, but both make for wonderful listening.

Non-coffee fans can choose 'Music from the Tea/Chocolate/Wine Lands'. Not making these up. They're all up there in the catalogue. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2013, 02:57:06 AM »

But...I'm open to suggestions for cheaper, easier, and tastier--I like it strong and highly caffeinated  Grin Grin

Have you tried moka pot?

I've seriously considered it.  Seems like it takes too much time and too many steps (I'm basically lazy, you see), and my wife doesn't like me using any cooking utensils made of aluminum--she says I'm already senile enough  Grin.
You can also get a stainless steel one.

It is also very fast. We put boiling water in the bottom so the whole pot is done in a couple of minutes. Pour coffee in filter -don't tamp. Don't set flame too high /about medium. Expect to add boiling water to your cup of Moka -we usually add about 40% water to a cup, and it is very "Espresso-ish" -but more "dummy-proof."

Cleanup is also very fast/15-20 seconds and you're done: unscrew, dump filter (not messy, because it's hard on the top from the pressure) then rinse filter/bottom/pot (from both sides, i.e. thru the spout too). We rinse to remove the ground-dregs but actually leave any traces of oil so far as possible.

Try to get one with a "deep draw filter" =the spout below the filter reaches to the bottom of the reservoir. With the deep draw, when the water is ready (if your flame is not too high) all of it pretty much "explodes" into the pot without much waiting (high pressure/fast). You will see evidence of this from the filter when you go to clean it -the top will be solid from the pressure.

But...I'm open to suggestions for cheaper, easier, and tastier--I like it strong and highly caffeinated  Grin Grin

Have you tried moka pot?

I've seriously considered it.  Seems like it takes too much time and too many steps (I'm basically lazy, you see), and my wife doesn't like me using any cooking utensils made of aluminum--she says I'm already senile enough  Grin.

If you don't ground beans yourself I don't think it takes too much effort. Just add water and coffee into it and place it on the stove.

Why is aluminum bad? Does it leak poisonous ingredients or something? Some pots are made of steel so that won't be a problem.

Not to derail the thread or anything, put some say that cooking with aluminum, especially using acidic foods, causes the aluminum to pit and leach into whatever's being cooked.  Aluminum toxicity is NOT a good thing.  Here's one article of many available: http://www.drpepi.com/aluminum-poisoning.php

So, with the Moka, no double boiling, pot watching, etc.?  A stainless steel Moka is pretty expensive, by the look of it.  Does the coffee actually taste better brewed in one?
In a word: AWESOME. All the oils/nutty flavor comes through. Again, add boiling water to taste to the Moka after it is done for espresso or Joe (American style).

I've been using moka press for couple of days now. I love the idea of coffee maker completely made of metal and it also keeps coffee hot for longer period than French press but unfortunately it seems to leak some metallic aftertaste to the coffee. Is that supposed to be normal or have I just failed to wash it properly?
Make sure your brand is not just aluminum, but food grade aluminum. Water left in the bottom, if any, has a strange smell- rinse it all out, and out of the filter, and out of the pot part (hold upside down and run the water through bottom up).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:28:36 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:06 AM »

^Addendum: fill the filter all the way full with coffee, but not so high that it will tamp down when you screw on the top. You almost certainty will not want your coffee nearly as thick as it comes out, but trust me, if you fix this by adding boiling water rather than cutting back on the amount of coffee in the filter you will not regret it when you taste the result.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:54:09 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2013, 04:15:08 AM »

^Addendum: fill the filter all the way full with coffee, but not so high that it will tamp down when you screw on the top. You almost certainty will not want your coffee nearly as thick as it comes out, but trust me, if you fix this by adding boiling water rather than cutting back on the amount of coffee in the filter you will not regret it when you taste the result.

I never added water.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2013, 04:32:41 AM »

Dog's will eat and drink just about anything--even their own or others' feces.

Balls of string, plastic, what ever.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to assist my dog in removing something from either the front or the back.  Dogs, gotta love em.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »

I never added water.
Do you fill the filter full?

Silly Stars
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:56 AM »

I never added water.

Yep. I received something like double espresso. I got kicked when I drunk two doubles in a row but one was OK for me. I do not like watery coffee.

I add sugar, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:04:14 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »

Michal, how Poles have their coffee?

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2013, 05:35:29 AM »

I never added water.

Yep. I received something like double espresso. I got kicked when I drunk two doubles in a row but one was OK for me. I do not like watery coffee.
That'll put hair on your chest.

I do enjoy the occasional cup of Greek/Turkish; maybe I'll try it your way this morning.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:37:00 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2013, 05:37:36 AM »

Pardon? I'm sorry I do not understand the question.

I do enjoy the occasional cup of Greek/Turkish; maybe I'll try it your way this morning.

I've got more than enough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:37:48 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »

How Poles prepare their coffee? I mean, do they use moka pot or something else?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »

I know !  I watched him for a while to make sure he was okay... Creepy little dog. Now I cant leave my cup out next my cozy spot on the couch anymore.

I may as well be living in a Monastery

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2013, 01:39:10 AM »

Not going deeply into historical background, coffee drinking traditions heavily deteriorated during Communist time albeit being present in the country since late XVII century. That means, the only one known way to make coffee until 90' was to pour boiling water onto grounded grains in the glass (people also used to drink "grain coffee").

At the turn of 80/90' decades instant coffee enterred the country and became incredibly popular. Over time, in local coffee makers begin to appear but they are yet to become popular for domestic use. Things like moka pots of french presses are hardly popular.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »

Not going deeply into historical background, coffee drinking traditions heavily deteriorated during Communist time albeit being present in the country since late XVII century. That means, the only one known way to make coffee until 90' was to pour boiling water onto grounded grains in the glass (people also used to drink "grain coffee").

At the turn of 80/90' decades instant coffee enterred the country and became incredibly popular. Over time, in local coffee makers begin to appear but they are yet to become popular for domestic use. Things like moka pots of french presses are hardly popular.

Thanks. There is a Polish RC priest in Finland who uses moka pot so I thought moka pots might have spread to Poland but I guess he has just spent too much time with Italians or something.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2013, 04:00:56 AM »

I know !  I watched him for a while to make sure he was okay... Creepy little dog. Now I cant leave my cup out next my cozy spot on the couch anymore.

I may as well be living in a Monastery

hehehe so cute yourself Mark

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »

Enjoying a cup of Casa Cielo on the patio.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »

Coffee is number one source of antioxidants, tea is a up there but coffee wins out. You can drink decaffeinated as well and get the same amount without all the caffeine. In fact, decaffeinated only means that caffeine wasn't added, the coffee itself still has caffeine in it, just not in high amounts that was added by man. All that caffeine isn't good for you anyway.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

Tea actually has more antioxidants, especially the green varieties (which is why it is forbidden to cancer patients), but coffee is pretty high up the list as well. Just like the Guatamalan Cloud Forest I'm enjoying right now. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

Tea actually has more antioxidants, especially the green varieties (which is why it is forbidden to cancer patients), but coffee is pretty high up the list as well. Just like the Guatamalan Cloud Forest I'm enjoying right now. Smiley

*in a singing voice* The more you know!

Google, you've failed me again!

This was my sorce read "Coffee Has More Antioxidants Per Cup, Get More Antioxidants From More Cups of Tea Per Day"
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/which-is-higher-in-antioxidants---coffee-or-tea.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:32:24 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

That's why I usually have just one mug of coffee, in the morning, when I need a good donkey-grade kick to start my day (so not a morning person...), and 2-3 cups of tea throughout the rest of the day. Grin

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »

Coffee is number one source of antioxidants, tea is a up there but coffee wins out. You can drink decaffeinated as well and get the same amount without all the caffeine. In fact, decaffeinated only means that caffeine wasn't added, the coffee itself still has caffeine in it, just not in high amounts that was added by man. All that caffeine isn't good for you anyway.

Question:

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Statement:

If you are reducing food to "nutrition", you don't know anything about food.

Personal Reaction:

Antioxidants . . . lol.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »

Question:

Statement:

Personal Reaction:

Antioxidants . . . lol.

Could do without the rudeness, it's Sunday, calm down.

I wasn't speaking about nutrition which is to support life. I was speaking about antioxidants and caffeine in coffee and tea. Why am I even explaining this?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:12:32 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »

Question:

Statement:

Personal Reaction:

Antioxidants . . . lol.

I wasn't speaking about nutrition which is to support life. I was speaking about antioxidants and caffeine in coffee and tea. Why am I even explaining this?

You can't explain what you don't understand, well not at least well.

If you are willing to pay me, I will begin to explain why your statements about caffeine in coffee are unfounded and why "anti-oxidant" measures of various foods is just silly.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »

Coffee is mother nature's greatest gift to humanity; it's what provides a temporary, simple pleasure during the darkest of hours; what makes a dreadful day at work bearable. Coffee is solace for the simple man.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »

Coffee is mother nature's greatest gift to humanity; it's what provides a temporary, simple pleasure during the darkest of hours; what makes a dreadful day at work bearable. Coffee is solace for the simple man.

Well said my boy ! Well said !

The caffeine in coffee occurs naturally in the bean. It is not added. The amount of caffeine is determined by the type of bean and how much it is roasted.

The darker you roast the bean the less caffeine is left, it gets cooked out . Many people believe the opposite that the darker coffee's have more caffeine. The opposite is the case, the lighter the roast the higher the caffeine.

Decaf in not coffee that hasn't had caffeine added. It is washed out of the bean and then roasted. Some of the chemicals used in washing out the caffeine could be of some minor concern.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »

The darker you roast the bean the less caffeine is left, it gets cooked out . Many people believe the opposite that the darker coffee's have more caffeine. The opposite is the case, the lighter the roast the higher the caffeine.

Many people still refuse to believe this; it's pobably the most widespread myth among the coffee-drinking world. I know several folks who want a more caffeinated blend for the morning to help them trek through their day, and they make the mistake of purchasing bolder, darker roasted coffees, thinking that they will carry more caffeine or something. There is a reason why most "Breakfast" blends are actually very mild and lightly roasted, because the lighter roasted beans have more caffeine, and they know that people in the morning around breakfast time are going to want that caffeine rush to get through the day.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »

Question:

Statement:

Personal Reaction:

Antioxidants . . . lol.

Don't waste your time...  Some people never got out of the high school mentality of sarcasm is intelligence. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »

Question:

Statement:

Personal Reaction:

Antioxidants . . . lol.

Don't waste your time...  Some people never got out of the high school mentality of sarcasm is intelligence. 

If you are going to use veiled insults, at least know the definitions of what you are using to do so.

Sarcasm the above ain't.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »

I found out yeasterday that there is an Ethiopian restaurant quite near to my apartment. Even more, it seems to be owned by actual Ethiopians and not some other ethnic/cultural group. I can't wait to have a cup of Ethiopian coffee some day.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

See what I mean?   Cheesy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

See what I mean?   Cheesy
That you can't distinguish what is sarcasm and what's not?

The only thing thats high school here is your comprehension skills.

Actually that's insulting to high school students.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:20:23 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »

Let's stand up for caffeine and demonstrate to our friends that this is the friendliest of all threads.

Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »

Someone gave me some Keurig K-Cups the other day. Ive had a Keurig for a while, but quit using it since the coffee isnt all that great. Among the ones given to me, there are a few blueberry ones so I figured id try.  The smell as its brewing is INCREDIBLE. Smells like I just opened an oven with a fresh blueberry pie in it.  Unfortunately, it doesnt taste a fraction as good as it smells....

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »

The only thing thats high school here is your comprehension skills.

Actually that's insulting to high school students.
Angry

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: