OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Monks  (Read 157 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »

There were two monks who dwelled in solitary caves, side by side, on a remote mountain far removed from the city. They spent their days and nights in prayer, and lived on the little food that was occasionally brought to them by pilgrims.

It had been many days since they had eaten, for no pilgrims had come to visit them in that time. But as they both emerged from their caves to thank God for another day of life, a hawk flew by and dropped a crust of bread on the ground. One of the monks said to the other:

“God has provided. Take and eat the crust of bread, for I know you are hungry.”

But the other monk said, “No, you must take the crust of bread and eat it, for I know that you are hungry.”

Then they began to argue over who should eat the bread, each one insisting that the other one have it. Immediately they were both overcome with grief because they had begun to argue.

“God has given us bread from heaven, and we have turned His blessing into a curse. I am sorry for quarreling with you my dear brother.”

“Indeed,” said the other monk. “I too am ashamed. Please forgive me as well.”

They looked at the crust of bread, and then noticed that the hawk was still circling above.

“Let us return this blessing from whence it came,” said one monk to the other.

“Yes, I agree. For we have allowed this blessing to be a source of sin for us. And look at the hawk who circles above us. It has lost his crust of bread, and perhaps it was taking it to feed the babies in the nest.”

“You are right,” said the other. “And the poor hawk has nothing to live for but food and drink. But we are Christians, and even if we have nothing to eat or drink, we have the food of prayer to sustain us forever.”

They both began to weep over their sins and grieve out of pity for the hawk.

Then the two monks took the crust of bread, joined hands, and flew up to the sky and returned the bread to the hawk’s beak. As soon as they put the bread into the hawk’s mouth, the hawk transformed into a holy angel. The angel then returned them to their caves where they discovered multiple loaves of bread and gallons of water and wine. The two monks looked at each other and rejoiced.

“Now we will have food and drink to share with the pilgrims who come to visit us!”

“Indeed!” said the other. “What a loving and merciful God we serve!”

By
Gebre Menfes Kidus

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
ThatOneGuy92

Faith: Lutheran
Jurisdiction: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »

How lovely.

Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »

Smiley Smiley

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:38:59 PM »

Very touching, especially about the spirit of humility and willingness for reconciliation that the monks show. It is good that it shows the non-possessiveness and poverty of monks.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:54:49 PM »

Shame on me.  I just kept thinking it's bread you can divide it in half.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:06:24 PM »

There were two monks who dwelled in solitary caves, side by side, on a remote mountain far removed from the city. They spent their days and nights in prayer, and lived on the little food that was occasionally brought to them by pilgrims.

It had been many days since they had eaten, for no pilgrims had come to visit them in that time. But as they both emerged from their caves to thank God for another day of life, a hawk flew by and dropped a crust of bread on the ground. One of the monks said to the other:

“God has provided. Take and eat the crust of bread, for I know you are hungry.”

But the other monk said, “No, you must take the crust of bread and eat it, for I know that you are hungry.”

Then they began to argue over who should eat the bread, each one insisting that the other one have it. Immediately they were both overcome with grief because they had begun to argue.

“God has given us bread from heaven, and we have turned His blessing into a curse. I am sorry for quarreling with you my dear brother.”

“Indeed,” said the other monk. “I too am ashamed. Please forgive me as well.”

They looked at the crust of bread, and then noticed that the hawk was still circling above.

“Let us return this blessing from whence it came,” said one monk to the other.

“Yes, I agree. For we have allowed this blessing to be a source of sin for us. And look at the hawk who circles above us. It has lost his crust of bread, and perhaps it was taking it to feed the babies in the nest.”

“You are right,” said the other. “And the poor hawk has nothing to live for but food and drink. But we are Christians, and even if we have nothing to eat or drink, we have the food of prayer to sustain us forever.”

They both began to weep over their sins and grieve out of pity for the hawk.

Then the two monks took the crust of bread, joined hands, and flew up to the sky and returned the bread to the hawk’s beak. As soon as they put the bread into the hawk’s mouth, the hawk transformed into a holy angel. The angel then returned them to their caves where they discovered multiple loaves of bread and gallons of water and wine. The two monks looked at each other and rejoiced.

“Now we will have food and drink to share with the pilgrims who come to visit us!”

“Indeed!” said the other. “What a loving and merciful God we serve!”

By
Gebre Menfes Kidus

Thank you for sharing.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: