OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IOC Is Dropping Wrestling From 2020 Olympics  (Read 917 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »

I'd like to do away with sports where judging is the only determining factor on who wins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

I'd like to do away with sports where judging is the only determining factor on who wins.
But my women gymnastics...

You know what though, a lot of sports can be determined by terrible referees too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »

Gymnastics is not just based on jurgding though. Least, from what I remember, you start with a perfect score, and then take deductions from where you fail to do what you are supposed to, just like getting scored on in other sports, and that is how your score is determined.
choy
Archon

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »

But my women gymnastics...

You know what though, a lot of sports can be determined by terrible referees too.

Yes, but referees can be overcome in most cases.  I mean, if you were the USA Basketball Dream Team, no bad refereeing will ever change a 20-point lead.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

Wrestling is a sport.

Boxing is a sport.

The nonsense you are talking about are games.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »

Wrestling is a sport.

Boxing is a sport.

Any true team sports out there then?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »

Wrestling is a sport.

Boxing is a sport.

How would you feel about swimming, or Athletics?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »

Wrestling is a sport.

Boxing is a sport.

How would you feel about swimming, or Athletics?
HOW DOES HE FEEL ABOUT USAIN BOLT.

RUNNING IS A SPORT.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

Something's dreadfully wrong when golf is considered an Olympic sport and wrestling is not. Yes, wrestling was replaced with golf.
Hey Peter want your take on something.

If an activity/game requires skill, should it be a sport?

What is your definition of a sport?
What is your definition of skill? Chess requires great skill, but I would never call it a sport. Except maybe for rowing, sports require that you actually get up off your butt and move around.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:35:51 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

Something's dreadfully wrong when golf is considered an Olympic sport and wrestling is not. Yes, wrestling was replaced with golf.

What is your definition of skill? Chess requires great skill, but I would never call it a sport. Except maybe for rowing, a sport requires that you actually get up off your butt and move around.

Some people have, haha. Some put it under a "mind sport "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_sport

nit sure how much i buy it, but, haha
choy
Archon

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »

What is your definition of skill? Chess requires great skill, but I would never call it a sport. Except maybe for rowing, sports require that you actually get up off your butt and move around.

Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »

I don't know about that.

I definitely can see playing Chess as a sport. I also think Chess is much more than requiring having a great skill, if you are playing at a high level. Such as strategy and tactics, but if you consider those skills then sure. I believe you can be a great strategian but not have the skill to execute.

Why limit sport just to certain physical activity? I think a lot of the electronic sports out there require just as much intensity, teamwork, skill, competiviness, etc. as traditional sports do.

I do think there are varying degrees within sport, something like boxing is what I would call a pure sport. Others questionable.

I guess my definition of sport is very broad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:57:21 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »

I don't know about that.

I definitely can see playing Chess as a sport. I also think Chess is much more than requiring having a great skill, if you are playing at a high level. Such as strategy and tactics, but if you consider those skills then sure. I believe you can be a great strategian but not have the skill to execute.

Why limit sport just to certain physical activity? I think a lot of the electronic sports out there require just as much intensity, teamwork, skill, competiviness, etc. as traditional sports do.

I do think there are varying degrees within sport, something like boxing is what I would call a pure sport. Others questionable.

Sport requires athletic bodies, not just athletic thumbs.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »

I don't know about that.

Sport requires athletic bodies, not just athletic thumbs.
Dance Dance Revolution.

I WIN.

Grin

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »

Or Wii Bowling.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:21 AM »

Artistry + movement + teamwork = Olympic sport?

Sveti Naum Ohridski

Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:21 AM »

Good, I hope they drop that gay sport for good. And my support goes to Istanbul to host the 2020 Olympic games.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:16 AM »

Golf as an Olympic sport (the Masters series)? Soccer (when the World Cup is the highest prize)? Tennis (Grand Slam)? Rugby (World Cup)? Oyyy .....

And don't get me started on synchronized swimming or synchronized diving. Pretty to watch, but the conventional forms are just so much better.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:01:37 AM by LBK » Logged
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »

Good, I hope they drop that gay sport for good. And my support goes to Istanbul to host the 2020 Olympic games.

Sad

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

ROFL!
So much for making many friends here, even straight ones.

One can always tell who stinks at a sport by their criticism.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »

Good, I hope they drop that gay sport for good
Yep, gay sport....the oldest combat sport in the world, and 2nd or 3rd oldest sport in the world period....

Hey Sveti, tell me how the badminton tourney goes.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »

Golf as an Olympic sport (the Masters series)? Soccer (when the World Cup is the highest prize)? Tennis (Grand Slam)? Rugby (World Cup)? Oyyy .....

And don't get me started on synchronized swimming or synchronized diving. Pretty to watch, but the conventional forms are just so much better.

Rugby 7s is what is being introduced into the Olympics, not rugby 15s, which you are right, for 15s the highest pinnacle is the World Cup, but two different codes, even though the young really vary by the players and time, not so much the rules.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »

American Football and rules. A buddy of mine has a brilliant analysis of the development of the "rulez" and how the progression of the importance of the "rulez" mimics cultural and capitalist development in the US.

But I ain't got time to get into I am artier-than-you right now.

Please get time!

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Sveti Naum Ohridski

Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »

Yep, gay sport....the oldest combat sport in the world, and 2nd or 3rd oldest sport in the world period....

At least in badminton the players don't grope each other. I don't care how old it is. It's a homosexual sport with a homosexual history going back to antiquity when the sport was played exclusively by fully nude males.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »

At least in badminton the players don't grope each other. I don't care how old it is. It's a homosexual sport with a homosexual history going back to antiquity when the sport was played exclusively by fully nude males.
Welcome to the board dude.

Seriously LOL'd at this.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »

You made me spit out my drink all over the computer screen.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:54:05 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »

Wrestling is a Godless westernization.  Pushed by Jewish women.

There, I think I got all the bases covered.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

Wrestling is a Godless westernization.  Pushed by Black lesbian Jewish women.

Edited for coverage.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »

At least in badminton the players don't grope each other. I don't care how old it is. It's a homosexual sport with a homosexual history going back to antiquity when the sport was played exclusively by fully nude males
I hope that you never get into a fight with one...I'd hate to see your shoulder popped out of socket by a gay move.

BTW, God wrestles so I'd watch it Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

Nothing more ridiculous and nonsensical except for maybe TWD
^This

What is TWD?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »

At least in badminton the players don't grope each other. I don't care how old it is. It's a homosexual sport with a homosexual history going back to antiquity when the sport was played exclusively by fully nude males
I hope that you never get into a fight with one...I'd hate to see your shoulder popped out of socket by a gay move.

BTW, God wrestles so I'd watch it Smiley

A few minutes after SNO called wrastling gay this photograph was taken:

And lo, the Angel said, "Stop hitting thyself, stop hitting thyself!"  But I could not, for the Angel wast hitting me with mine own hand.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Wrestling is a Godless westernization.  Pushed by Jewish women.

Good thing I keep my base covered.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

^This

What is TWD?

Taekwando:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo

EDIT: Most people use TKD as the abbreviation. I was being a little silly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:54:27 PM by orthonorm » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »

It's TKD
Tae Kwon Do
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:54:34 PM by choy » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »

Posted my edit just before you did. I was mocking it by improperly referring to it.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »

I see.  Thank you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

^This

What is TWD?

Taekwando:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo

EDIT: Most people use TKD as the abbreviation. I was being a little silly.

I'd bet that the version used by the ROK Army is a bit more terrifying than that taught to per-pubescent kinder in strip malls.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

Golf? Rats. And here I was hoping Pankration would make a triumphant return...

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »

MOSCOW, February 12 (R-Sport) - Gay rights activists with a vendetta against masculinity are behind plans to cut wrestling from the Olympic program, the coach of a London 2012 gold medal-winner told R-Sport on Tuesday.
“If they expel wrestling now, that means that gays will soon run the whole world,” coach Vladimir Uruimagov said, calling the decision “a blow to masculine origins.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: