Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 944387 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7335 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
Tonight is Kobe Bryant's last NBA game, and that's going to be overshadowed by Golden State's pursuit of the new regular season wins record.

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam
Yup. I like the subplot of Steve Kerr possibly coaching the team that breaks his own Bulls team's record.

Yes. I think he's an excellent coach. Lots of hard core Bulls fans from the Jordan days are pulling for Golden State like I am. I think it's because even though the Warriors play a completely different style of basketball than the Bulls, they still play as a team and play with heart. The Kobe teams, as good as they were, always seemed poisoned with drama and division. And Lebron comes with a lot of baggage too. But Golden State is the first team with a true superstar that plays like a team since the Bulls. The Spurs do to, but they don't have a guy that's as exciting to watch as Jordan or Steph. And I love Tim Duncan. I love the Spurs. But Curry is the most exciting player I've seen since Jordan. Just my opinion. But lots of Bulls fans feel the same way. Hated the Lakers and not fans of Lebron, but Steph and GS has gained our respect.

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Merarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7336 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »
Tonight is Kobe Bryant's last NBA game, and that's going to be overshadowed by Golden State's pursuit of the new regular season wins record.

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam
Yup. I like the subplot of Steve Kerr possibly coaching the team that breaks his own Bulls team's record.

Yes. I think he's an excellent coach. Lots of hard core Bulls fans from the Jordan days are pulling for Golden State like I am. I think it's because even though the Warriors play a completely different style of basketball than the Bulls, they still play as a team and play with heart. The Kobe teams, as good as they were, always seemed poisoned with drama and division. And Lebron comes with a lot of baggage too. But Golden State is the first team with a true superstar that plays like a team since the Bulls. The Spurs do to, but they don't have a guy that's as exciting to watch as Jordan or Steph. And I love Tim Duncan. I love the Spurs. But Curry is the most exciting player I've seen since Jordan. Just my opinion. But lots of Bulls fans feel the same way. Hated the Lakers and not fans of Lebron, but Steph and GS has gained our respect.

Selam

I'm hoping Memphis pulls this one out.  Let the record stay with the Bulls. (I'm biased because I was born in Chicago).

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7337 on: April 13, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam

Selam
Yup, the Spurs are a great team--always have been under Coach Popovich. Excellent focus on the fundamentals of defense and half-court offense. Even Tim Duncan's nickname of "The Big Fundamental" bears that out. Their style of play is just boring, though. Kinda like the team concept Nick Saban has at Alabama: bone crushing defense, a power running game, and just enough of a passing game to keep defenses honest. It's as boring as hell (except maybe to you ;)), but it gets the job done and wins championships.

Golden State is a great team that plays ball the way Coach Kerr did in his day: rain threes from outside. They run a fast-paced full court offense and shoot with a high percentage from outside, and they play as a team. Steph Curry makes some of the craziest shots you'll ever see. He makes look easy shots that would get anyone else benched if they even tried them. Step-back 3 with a defender draped all over him... One dribble inside half court, stop, plant, and let her fly... That kind of play wins championships and is even fun to watch.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7338 on: April 13, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam

Selam

I'm hoping Memphis pulls this one out.  Let the record stay with the Bulls. (I'm biased because I was born in Chicago).
Sorry, bud, but the Bulls have already lost sole ownership of the record. Tonight they're going to lose any ownership of the record.

• Merarches
« Reply #7339 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam

Selam
Yup, the Spurs are a great team--always have been under Coach Popovich. Excellent focus on the fundamentals of defense and half-court offense. Even Tim Duncan's nickname of "The Big Fundamental" bears that out. Their style of play is just boring, though. Kinda like the team concept Nick Saban has at Alabama: bone crushing defense, a power running game, and just enough of a passing game to keep defenses honest. It's as boring as hell (except maybe to you ;)), but it gets the job done and wins championships.

Golden State is a great team that plays ball the way Coach Kerr did in his day: rain threes from outside. They run a fast-paced full court offense and shoot with a high percentage from outside, and they play as a team. Steph Curry makes some of the craziest shots you'll ever see. He makes look easy shots that would get anyone else benched if they even tried them. Step-back 3 with a defender draped all over him... One dribble inside half court, stop, plant, and let her fly... That kind of play wins championships and is even fun to watch.

Agreed on all points except for BAMA being boring.  ;)

Curry has the quickest release I've ever seen. It's why he's also able to score inside with people twice his size all around him. He gets his shots off so quickly that they're impossible to block. Amazing to watch. I think the biggest question will be whether or not he can stay healthy. Also, can GS maintain the nucleus of their team and continue to supplement it with great role players. But it's lots of fun to watch right now.

Selam
"Bad art may be forgiven; but to remain unmoved by beauty will not. Doubts may be forgiven; but a lack of wonder will not. Tilting at windmills may be forgiven; but allowing our neighbors to be grinded in the gears will not. Denying the existence of the Creator may be forgiven; but ignoring the glories of creation will not."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Merarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7340 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam

Selam

Sorry, bud, but the Bulls have already lost sole ownership of the record. Tonight they're going to lose any ownership of the record.

True, but no one remembers the guys who tie the record, only the people who surpass it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:24:10 PM by scamandrius »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7341 on: April 13, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

Ain't it great?!  ;)

Selam

Selam

True, but no one remembers the guys who tie the record, only the people who surpass it.
Everybody remembers those who share the record. Nobody remembers those who lose it. The 95-96 Bulls are going to lose it tonight. Keep your chin up, though. They'll still be remembered for their two three-peats. ;)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7342 on: April 14, 2016, 12:57:18 AM »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7343 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:13 AM »
KB-60

• Merarches
« Reply #7344 on: April 14, 2016, 03:23:56 AM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #7345 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »
KB-60

I thought that Stephen Curry and the Warriors would be the most exciting show in basketball last night. But I stand corrected. I’ve never been a Kobe fan, so I say this with complete objectivity: That was the greatest exit I've ever seen in sports. MAXIMUM RESPECT to Kobe Bryant! Of course, Steph may have scored 70 if he had played four quarters. But even if he had, Kobe's 60 point exit still would have eclipsed it. I have to stand in awe of what Kobe did last night. Simply amazing. Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it. Definitely one of the greatest ever. Well done Mamba!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7346 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:42 AM »
KB-60

I thought that Stephen Curry and the Warriors would be the most exciting show in basketball last night. But I stand corrected. I’ve never been a Kobe fan, so I say this with complete objectivity: That was the greatest exit I've ever seen in sports. MAXIMUM RESPECT to Kobe Bryant! Of course, Steph may have scored 70 if he had played four quarters. But even if he had, Kobe's 60 point exit still would have eclipsed it. I have to stand in awe of what Kobe did last night. Simply amazing. Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it. Definitely one of the greatest ever. Well done Mamba!

Selam
I liked his response to a reporter after the game when the reporter asked him if, after the way he played last night, he had any thoughts of coming back for another season. "ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm done." It's good that he be so certain of his desire to leave the game. Let's hope he doesn't waver as Michael Jordan and Brett Favre did. (As awesome as his career was, I think Jordan made a huge mistake by attempting a comeback with the Wizards--he should have stayed retired.) Kobe had a wonderful career, but when it's time to retire, he needs to be absolutely certain and unwavering in his decision.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:07:06 AM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #7347 on: April 14, 2016, 05:09:11 AM »
KB-60

Selam
I liked his response to a reporter after the game when the reporter asked him if, after the way he played last night, he had any thoughts of coming back for another season. "ABSOLUTELY NOT! I'm done." It's good that he be so certain of his desire to leave the game. Let's hope he doesn't waver as Michael Jordan and Brett Favre did. (As awesome as his career was, I think Jordan made a huge mistake by attempting a comeback with the Wizards--he should have stayed retired.) Kobe had a wonderful career, but when it's time to retire, he needs to be absolutely certain and unwavering in his decision.

I agree 100%. If Jordan had ended his career with that winning jump shot against Utah, that would have been the greatest exit in sports history (at least in my lifetime.) And it would have eclipsed what Kobe did last night, simply for the fact that it was a walk off winning shot for a 6th NBA title. But yeah, that Wizards stuff was horrible. One thing I like about Kobe (and I'm still not a fan) is his intelligence. I think he has enough intellectual curiosity to find plenty of fulfilling things to do after basketball. I think Jordan was probably just as bright, IQ wise, but I don't think he has Kobe's intellectual curiosity. That's pure speculation of course.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7348 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
And he does it again! Cub pitcher and reigning NL Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta throws the first no-hitter of the season, blanking the Reds 16-0. Reigning Rookie of the Year (no longer a rookie) Kris Bryant also hit two home runs, one a grand slam, in the rout at Cincinnati.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:22:59 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7349 on: April 25, 2016, 12:05:23 PM »
It looks now as if the NFL won and Tom Brady lost in the ongoing Deflategate scandal. The latest news is that the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the lower court ruling and ruled instead that Roger Goodell acted properly under the collective bargaining agreement by suspending Brady for four games. I guess this means that Brady will have to miss the first four games of the 2016 NFL season.

Full story here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15353950/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-four-game-suspension-deflategate-reinstated-appeals-court
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:07:38 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7350 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:39 PM »
I don't think it was fair at all, but I still can't resist grinning broadly and this turn of events.  :D
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7351 on: April 28, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »
Penguins start their series against Washington now
Christ is risen!  Le Christ est ressuscité!  Masīḥ qām!   Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #7352 on: April 29, 2016, 01:47:29 AM »
I work night shift at a place in Tampa. We're literally right down the street from the hockey arena. There is a banner on our office building that says "Go Bolts!" - and it must be a hundred feet long. :)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #7353 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
To all you Pirates fans, let me be the first to post notification that they just got swept by the Cubs.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7354 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:40 PM »
I guess Ovechkin will have to wait another year, now the Pens are onto Tampa Bay.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:28:18 PM by William T »
Christ is risen!  Le Christ est ressuscité!  Masīḥ qām!   Χριστὸς ἀνέστη!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #7355 on: May 21, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
    • St. George Church
« Reply #7356 on: May 21, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »