OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:38:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was the Protestant Reformation necessary?  (Read 2899 times) Average Rating: 0
kx9

Faith: Christian

« on: December 11, 2012, 07:18:23 AM »

From an Eastern Orthodox viewpoint, was the Protestant Reformation of the 16th Century necessary?

Please write yes or no, along with any comments.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

Well, reformation was needed, but I don't think Protestantism was the answer.  I suppose it was good in the sense it resulted in the counter reformation within the Roman Catholic Church, but not much else, IMO.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »

I agree with Kerdy. A reformation was needed, and still is. The Reformation, however, was more deformation than the required remedy. It certainly wasn't desirable from an Orthodox viewpoint as it resulted in a plethora of heretical sects.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

I suppose it was good in the sense it resulted in the counter reformation within the Roman Catholic Church

Like Union of Brest? Persecuting the Orthodox?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

The Reformation was not uniform--perhaps ReformationS would be more accurate. The three classical versions are 'Reformed', Lutheran, and Anglican; and then there were various versions of the Radical Reformation.  Some forms were more conservative than others; and some threw more baby out with the bath water so to speak.  To that extent, certain aspects associated with the Protestant Reformation can be considered 'Deformations' (as another poster called it). 

I can't recall who said it, but someone once called the Reformation a "tragic necessity"--Romanists too often don't recognize the necessity, and Protestants too often don't recognize the tragedy.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

Well, reformation was needed, but I don't think Protestantism was the answer.  I suppose it was good in the sense it resulted in the counter reformation within the Roman Catholic Church, but not much else, IMO.

My opinion is that the counter Reformation did more damage than the Reformation itself.  I believe this is where the Roman Catholic Church significantly left the ancient traditions of the Church (which is why I find it funny that RC traditionalists cling to Trent, rather than an older tradition).  I feel that Rome starting having "Reformation-phobia" and when presented with a choice of clinging to an older tradition that has either been attacked or embraced by Reformationists, or to do something new, they chose to do something new.  So the Church didn't stay true to herself, and instead started redefining ancient Christian belief in a non-Protestant way to separate herself from the Reformationists.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »

From an Eastern Orthodox viewpoint, was the Protestant Reformation of the 16th Century necessary?

I say "yes", but that the way the Protestants did it is completely wrong.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

The Reformation was a missed opportunity. What if the Lutherans and Anglicans would have gone Orthodox instead?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »

The Reformation was a missed opportunity. What if the Lutherans and Anglicans would have gone Orthodox instead?

Considering some of Martin Luther's views, I'd say that would have been unlikely.

If someone else started the Reformation, then that might have been a possibility.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:56:22 PM by sheenj » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »

Considering some of Martin Luther's views, I'd say that would have been unlikely.

Melanchton was the true leader of the Lutherans and he was much closer to the Orthodox.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:49 PM »

I read that they tried.  Luther was in contact if I am not mistaken, with the Patriarch of Antioch.  Eventually the Patriarch was so frustrated with Luther's insistence on his theology that in his final letter, he asked Luther not to write back to him again.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »

The Reformation was not uniform--perhaps ReformationS would be more accurate. The three classical versions are 'Reformed', Lutheran, and Anglican; and then there were various versions of the Radical Reformation.  Some forms were more conservative than others; and some threw more baby out with the bath water so to speak.  To that extent, certain aspects associated with the Protestant Reformation can be considered 'Deformations' (as another poster called it). 

I can't recall who said it, but someone once called the Reformation a "tragic necessity"--Romanists too often don't recognize the necessity, and Protestants too often don't recognize the tragedy.
agreed. "The Reformation" is an historical misnomer for an unending happening. All those involved have been reforming ever since.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »

I read that they tried.  Luther was in contact if I am not mistaken, with the Patriarch of Antioch.  Eventually the Patriarch was so frustrated with Luther's insistence on his theology that in his final letter, he asked Luther not to write back to him again.

The Tubingen Lutherans contacted Ecumenical Patriarch Jeremiah II. Small correction  Wink

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

Close but no cigar... According to Fr. Damick The second generation Lutherans approached the EP and wrote over the course of several years before said happened.

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »

The Tubingen Lutherans contacted Ecumenical Patriarch Jeremiah II. Small correction  Wink
Awe! Ya beat me to it!  Angry Wink

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »

[

I read that they tried.  Luther was in contact if I am not mistaken, with the Patriarch of Antioch.  Eventually the Patriarch was so frustrated with Luther's insistence on his theology that in his final letter, he asked Luther not to write back to him again.

Awe! Ya beat me to it!  Angry Wink

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:03:54 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »

Oh, okay, thanks.  I read this in a book like ages ago (I'm reading the same book for 3 months now.  I know, slow reader).
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

Some Anglicans tried.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

in my opinion, the reformation was not the problem but the reformers

it is important to remember that MLs intentions were to REFORM (hence, reformation) the CC.  And the origin of "protestant" comes from "protesting-catholic.  Unfortunately, MLs followers decided to just pick up a Bible and start their own church because they considered themselves to be infallible.  Pope Leo X should not have excommunicated Luther but rather think about it and pray and fast over the 95 thesis, ML made some GREAT points. 

in short, he should have kept the rulings of all seven Ecumenical Councils and not just the first four and done more (as well as Anglicans) to re-communicate with Holy Orthodoxy, but I'm glad Jeremiah II didn't get into the pan-heresy/offspring of all heresies

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
kx9

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »

Since many of you feel that the Refomation was necessary, but not done correctly, how would it have been if the EOC had carried out the Reformation against the Roman Catholic Church instead of the Protestants in the 16th Century?

Would the EOC have succeeded? (Resulting in reunification of the two Churches?)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »

Since many of you feel that the Refomation was necessary, but not done correctly, how would it have been if the EOC had carried out the Reformation against the Roman Catholic Church instead of the Protestants in the 16th Century?

What do you mean by that? How one can reform something from the outside?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kx9

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »

What do you mean by that? How one can reform something from the outside?

As far as I see, a Reformation can be carried out from inside or outside. It doesn't make a difference.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

What point would have the Orthodox Church have had in reforming Roman Church?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kx9

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

Some Orthodox posters on this thread think the Reformation was needed, but you think it wasn't needed at all.

Remember, the EOC and the RCC were One Church before 1054 A.D.
A reunification is required because the Word of God speaks out against divisions in the Body of Christ.

If the Orthodox Church had carried out the Reformation instead, it might have prevented the splitting of several denominations in Christianity.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:17:13 PM by kx9 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

Some Orthodox posters on this thread think the Reformation was needed, but you think it wasn't needed at all.

A reunification is required because the Word of God speaks out against divisions in the Body of Christ.

If the Orthodox Church had carried out the Reformation instead, it might have prevented the splitting of several denominations in Christianity.

Ever heard of the Tourkokratia?

kx9

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »

Ever heard of the Tourkokratia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourkokratia

It is a lengthy topic. I was expecting a definition there in a couple of sentences.

Anyway it doesn't look relevant to this thread.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

It is a lengthy topic. I was expecting a definition there in a couple of sentences.

It is quite relevant, actually.

At the time of the Reformation, the traditional Orthodox lands were under Ottoman occupation and the Church was dealing with various levels of suppression and persecution. Add to that the bad blood between East and West since the sack of Constantinople (1204 CE), and the chance of overtures towards the West was nil.

There's your two sentences; hope they help.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »

At the time of the Reformation, the traditional Orthodox lands were under Ottoman occupation

Like Muscovia, GDL...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

At the time of the Reformation, the traditional Orthodox lands were under Ottoman occupation

Like Muscovia, GDL...

Very much controlled by RC Poland. Of all people here you should know that.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:52:55 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

Like Muscovia, GDL...

Very much controlled by RC Poland. Of all people here you should know that.

Majority of the people were Orthodox then.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »

Like Muscovia, GDL...

Too busy fighting Tatars, Lithuanians and other local dukes to expand its borders eastwards. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
kx9

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »

It is quite relevant, actually.

At the time of the Reformation, the traditional Orthodox lands were under Ottoman occupation and the Church was dealing with various levels of suppression and persecution. Add to that the bad blood between East and West since the sack of Constantinople (1204 CE), and the chance of overtures towards the West was nil.

There's your two sentences; hope they help.

Thanks for pointing it out.

However, I'd like some clarification.

When you said "Church" You were referring to the EOC ?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:47:51 AM by kx9 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »

I would say no. That is, there were problems, but the route that was taken wasn't a solution, and actually just created more problems. There had already been theological disagreements about things like papal supremacy in the west (e.g. at Basel in the 15th century), this route could have been pursued further.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:10 AM »

When you said "Church" You were referring to the EOC ?

Yes. That's quite clear from the context of this thread.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »

The tangent discussing the impossibility of division within the Body of Christ has been split off and moved to Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=48961.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:12:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: Reformation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: