OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:15:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 2997 times) Average Rating: 0
RepententMortarman

« on: December 26, 2004, 02:37:03 PM »

What does Orthodoxy say about tattoos? Ive been getting mixed oppinions. I already got one as you can see from my personel picture.
Im getting it added onto some time next week. I was just wondering if you know any thing.

In Christ
Nektarios
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 02:48:06 PM »

Check here for a pretty good-sized thread on smoking and tattoos.  Mostly just everybody's opinions being thrown around.

Glad to have you with us!

Pedro (edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 02:48:35 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
RepententMortarman

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 05:30:51 PM »

Well I read that article on the OCA about tattoos. I read that article and it seems to me that mine is ok. My bishop kissed my Byzantine Eagle tattoo so i gusse there is
nothing wrong with it. I just wanted to make sure before I got it added on to.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »

My bishop kissed my Byzantine Eagle tattoo so i gusse there is nothing wrong with it.

That's.... interesting......    Huh 

...and the pope kissed the koran so there must be nothing wrong with it either.  Wink   Cheesy

I just wanted to make sure before I got it added on to.

If you already have a tattoo and it was viewed in a negative light by the Orthodox Church, then why would it matter if you added onto it, if already having one was wrong? Just something I wondered about...

That being said, I know what you are talking about having mixed reviews re: tattos, I've noticed that as well.

I personally don't have a problem with tattoos, as long as they are tasteful and you were getting one that symbolizes something that meant a lot to you, like a cross, your children's names, baby's footprints, etc. If someone just wanted a tatt just to be "cool" or to get something unoriginal and played out like those tribal bands, then why bother?

In Christ,
Aaron

PS- Welcome to the forum!!  Smiley
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 08:12:26 PM »

If you already have a tattoo and it was viewed in a negative light by the Orthodox Church, then why would it matter if you added onto it, if already having one was wrong? Just something I wondered about...

well, i think it would matter if the sin of it were in the action and not in the result...i think that if the action of getting a tattoo is done for the right reasons that have been talked about already, then maybe that's not where the sin is (an example of how the sin could be in the result of the tattoo and not the action would be if it was a negative or evil symbol that you and others would be exposed to forever, or if a tattoo is used to entice and temp others in a sexual way - these sins i think there is no debate over).

but, IF the sin is in the simple act of the tattoo itself, then to repeat the action by adding on to a tattoo would be just like repeating any other sin.

as i've already stated, i have tattoos (one which was added onto as well), and while i have an idea of what makes sense regarding the ways in which they could be sinful, i plan to talk about it with my priest when my reception into the church gets closer, because ultimately i'd rather be obedient to the ruling of my Church on this than to just pridefully maintain that it isn't a sin for this and that logical reason (i have a tendency to to this).  Embarrassed

hmmmm...
RepententMortarman

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 10:52:03 PM »

Im getting "Orthodoxia E Thanatos" in Greek over the crown of the eagle. I read that article and it said if its in good taste and not harmfull to any body eles then..........
the Church Fathers didnt say any thing about it so I gusses its just personnel opinion is what it sounds like.

In Christ
Nektarios
Semper Fi
GG

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 03:12:42 PM »

Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Thats the KJV, the Revised Strd Version puts it like this, You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. The darby ver says "And cuttings for a dead person shall ye not make in your flesh, nor put any tattoo writing upon you: I am Jehovah. "
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 03:19:09 PM by GG » Logged

NULL
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:15:38 PM »

My bishop kissed my Byzantine Eagle tattoo so i gusse there is
nothing wrong with it.

I hate to ask where your tattoo is...

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »

Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Thats the KJV, the Revised Strd Version puts it like this, You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. The darby ver says "And cuttings for a dead person shall ye not make in your flesh, nor put any tattoo writing upon you: I am Jehovah. "

Levitical Law isn't binding on Christians anymore.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 05:16:33 PM »

Yeah, if we're going to go by Liviticus then there are plenty of other things we shouldn't be doing (like eating shellfish or pork).  I talked to my Spiritual Father about tattoos once, and he said that things like iconography are a no-go, as you wouldn't want someone to venerate your back, etc.  I don't think that crosses are okay, but I could be wrong.  I suppose it's an issue of neutrality when you're talking about imagery, though (like the Byzantine or Russian crests, or other non-venerated symbols).  I once mentioned I was considering more tattoos in the presence of out Matushka, and she said I should get a blessing from my Spiritual Father first.  I have yet to ask him about that.

And anyone, Orthodox or not, who knows about tattoos would agree that getting a tattoo for a faddish reason, or because it "looks cool" is a stupid idea, and is definitely the WRONG idea for anyone who is thinking about it.
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 05:17:25 PM »

Oh, and is this Nektarios the Marine?
GG

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 07:20:25 PM »

Levitical Law isn't binding on Christians anymore.

Look i'm not saying that it is fully, but there is certin times in the Levitical writing that people hold to that are Christians ie like in Lev 18:22, and 20:13, this is my first time posting here it seems like a cool forum where people can voice themselves, take care and the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you .....

NULL
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 07:30:05 PM »

If there are certain things in the Mosaic Law that Christians don't have to abide by, and others which they must abide by, who/what determines which things are optional? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
GG

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 07:42:55 PM »

If there are certain things in the Mosaic Law that Christians don't have to abide by, and others which they must abide by, who/what determines which things are optional?
Afro  There's alot of ways on looking at this i try to do what i think Jesus would do. Since he's the one that is perfect, without fault or sin, in everyway thats what he is, I know we are not perfect ,but lets take a look at his life before we do something in ours, i say this with Love, i'm not trying to put anyone down in anyway. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:52:25 PM by GG » Logged

NULL
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »

Oh, and is this Nektarios the Marine?

J, they are one and the same.

In Christ,
Aaron
RepententMortarman

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »

Yes I am a Marine, and my tatto is on my left chest as you can see in my picture. I just finished my tattoo, i just got the Greek Text inked yesterday. My bishop didnt kiss it with his lips i kissed his hand and blessed my new image.

In CHrist
Nektarios
Semper Fi
Tags: tattoos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: