OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man arrested after throwing paint at a holy icon in Poland  (Read 2009 times) Average Rating: 0
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »

http://www.france24.com/en/20121209-man-throws-paint-polish-miracle-virgin-mary-icon

Lord have mercy  Embarrassed

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

This line really gets to me...coming from a representative from the monastery....

""The faithful have been calling us crying to ask what happened," monastery spokesman Father Robert Jasiulewicz told the news agency PAP.

"We've reassured them that the painting is intact.""

The PAINTING is intact?  Really?  Is that all it is?  A painting?

Sheesh!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »

What would you expect from a Roman Catholic?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:04 PM »

This line really gets to me...coming from a representative from the monastery....

""The faithful have been calling us crying to ask what happened," monastery spokesman Father Robert Jasiulewicz told the news agency PAP.

"We've reassured them that the painting is intact.""

Sheesh!

Yeah, that part really irritated me too <_<

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

To be fair, it could be a matter of translation. Even in Greek, eikona can simply mean picture or illustration in certain contexts.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »

Well I'm sure he made it fully restored like this piece:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:05:17 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »

What would you expect from a Roman Catholic?

Suddenly you care what they think?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »

Sad that some people here are more angry at the RC's who may or may not called this a "painting" (as LBK pointed out, it could simply be a mistranslation) than at the psychopath who tried to deface it. Sad
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:20:12 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:28:49 AM »

Sad that some people here are more angry at the RC's who may or may not called this a "painting" (as LBK pointed out, it could simply be a mistranslation) than at the psychopath who tried to deface it. Sad

It is par for the course around here if you haven't noticed.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »

It is a Jesuit conspiracy to destroy the faith.

Also, Catholics want to eat our babies.

Consider it a hangup from our wider cultural heritage.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:12:58 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »

It seems to me that rather than worry about what word a news article may or may not have used in connection with this sorry incident, we Orthodox ought to rejoice that this most ancient and venerable of Icons was not damaged. While many of us may have historical, and in some cases, present day grievances regarding both the secular rulers of Poland and some of the religious leaders of Poland's Roman Catholic church (frankly these grievances are shared by many of the Greek Catholics over the centuries as well as the Orthodox), we can not deny the devotion directed by the Polish faithful towards the Blessed Mother and the venerable Icon of Czestochowa. If any devotional practice of our Roman Catholic brothers approaches the Orthodox concept of venerating icons, it can be found at this icon and within the pilgrimages of the faithful to Czestochowa.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:39:48 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »

It seems to me that rather than worry about what word a news article may or may not have used in connection with this sorry incident, we Orthodox ought to rejoice that this most ancient and venerable of Icons was not damaged. While many of us may have historical, and in some cases, present day grievances regarding both the secular rulers of Poland and some of the religious leaders of Poland's Roman Catholic church (frankly these grievances are shared by many of the Greek Catholics over the centuries as well as the Orthodox), we can not deny the devotion directed by the Polish faithful towards the Blessed Mother and the venerable Icon of Czestochowa. If any devotional practice of our Roman Catholic brothers approaches the Orthodox concept of venerating icons, it can be found at this icon and within the pilgrimages of the faithful to Czestochowa.

How dare you try to inject reason and logic into this thread.  We are Orthodox and have no use for such scholasticism.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »

It is a Jesuit conspiracy to destroy the faith.

Also, Catholics want to eat our babies.

Consider it a hangup from our wider cultural heritage.

So the Know Nothing Party is still alive and kicking?   Shocked

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »

How dare you try to inject reason and logic into this thread.  We are Orthodox and have no use for such scholasticism.

Sorry, I guess I was taught in law school that truth was an absolute defense. Must be one of those evil Thomistic teachings..... Wink
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »

No, no....I am also concerned about the man with the paint...and really am curious as to his intentions and reasons behind his action.

I was less worried about the icon because someone had the forethought to actually put glass around it - which was an excellent idea.

My concern over calling an icon a "painting" is not nitpicking or overlooking the "act" of vandalism, but, a concern for showing an icon due respect.  Too often people think of icons as nothing more than paintings, works of art, etc.  That was my only concern.

If this is truly a error in translation I happily stand corrected.  No harm was meant....only concern for respect towards things holy.

How do you know this man is a psychopath, without knowing anything about him, or his motives?   

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

Ok, Lisa, you're right, I'm sure he had a sane logical reason for throwing buckets of paint at the Theotokos.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »

Ok, Lisa, you're right, I'm sure he had a sane logical reason for throwing buckets of paint at the Theotokos.

To him it may have seemed logical.  That's why I am interested in his reasoning.  Just because he's made a mistake doesn't mean he's insane....only mislead.

Again...nor harm was intended by me in my comment.

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »

Time out all - isn't it possible to be a criminal or an anarchist without being psychotic? I think that's what Liza meant.... If one truly were deranged he or she would not possess the same moral culpability - surely we don't excuse all criminal or anti-social actions on the basis of psychotic disorder....
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »

If being illogical was proof of psychosis, then most of us would probably be locked up right now.  police
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »

If any devotional practice of our Roman Catholic brothers approaches the Orthodox concept of venerating icons, it can be found at this icon and within the pilgrimages of the faithful to Czestochowa.

It's far from ours. They tend to reproduce that icon without Christ (only Theotokos is seen):

That distorts icon theology, especially when it comes to the Hodegetria type.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

I've not seen that clipped version here in the States though...perhaps I haven't been looking though.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

SIGH.  Roll Eyes

I used the term "psychopath" in a completely NON-clinical way, to describe the jerk (how's that? police ) who defaced the icon (which Webster's defines as a "flat panel painting" btw) with paint, in an effort to be charitable, because I would hate to just assume that someone would DELIBERATELY set out, with malice aforethought, to basically spit in the Theotokos' face.

OK?  Sad
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:39:51 PM by theistgal » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »

I would hate to just assume that someone would DELIBERATELY set out, with malice aforethought, to basically spit in the Theotokos' face.

OK?  Sad

We're still talking about humans here right? The same people who, when presented with God himself, decided that nailing him to a stick was their best option?
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »

If any devotional practice of our Roman Catholic brothers approaches the Orthodox concept of venerating icons, it can be found at this icon and within the pilgrimages of the faithful to Czestochowa.

It's far from ours. They tend to reproduce that icon without Christ (only Theotokos is seen):

That distorts icon theology, especially when it comes to the Hodegetria type.

This isn't the first time this icon was desecrated.   You can clearly see the wounds on the Mother of God's face.  This also brings back the memory of Michelangelo's Pieta being hit with a hammer.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »

I would hate to just assume that someone would DELIBERATELY set out, with malice aforethought, to basically spit in the Theotokos' face.

OK?  Sad

We're still talking about humans here right? The same people who, when presented with God himself, decided that nailing him to a stick was their best option?

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore in this thread, I feel like no matter what I say it's going to be scorned or ridiculed, so I'm just going to bow out and do some baking (and praying).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:44:52 PM by theistgal » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »

I've seen the Theotokos depicted alone before. I have a small Russian icon of 'The Multiplier of Wheat." I think it was mentioned in this thread. In it, the infant Christ is not there, and the Theotokos is alone, in prayer (apparently). She's hovering over a field. Yes, hovering.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

I've seen that one, too.  I know LBK discussed that one somewhere.  I will have to search for it.

However, there's also the Pokrov icon, where she stands alone, spreading her veil of protection over us.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:17:27 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »

OK?  Sad

I don't know what I'm talking about anymore in this thread, I feel like no matter what I say it's going to be scorned or ridiculed, so I'm just going to bow out and do some baking (and praying).

My apologies, I wasn't trying to ridicule you. I guess I'm just too jaded to be suprised at the depths humans can go to.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:23:00 PM by sheenj » Logged
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

OK?  Sad

My apologies, I wasn't trying to ridicule you. I guess I'm just too jaded to be suprised at the depths humans can go to.  Sad

Thanks; it was the tone of the whole thread, not you personally.  Smiley

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

OK?  Sad

Thanks; it was the tone of the whole thread, not you personally.  Smiley

Aw, don't take it too personal. We all just get a little grumpy here on OC.net when it comes to icons.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

I like to think that we aren't so much grumpy, as we are respectful and protective of them.   angel

Sorry theistgal if I offended you.  I didn't mean to.  Honest.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »

What's a long fasting period without grumpiness?  police

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »

Patriarch Kirill considers an attempt to desecrate main Poland's shrine as an insult of Polish and Russian nations
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=10163

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

Patriarch Kirill considers an attempt to desecrate main Poland's shrine as an insult of Polish and Russian nations
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=10163

Understandable, as it really is so.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »

Well I'm sure he made it fully restored like this piece:

Achronos,

I feel that at least partway through the "restoration" they must have known it would not turn out right.
Tags: Polish Poland 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: