OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE: Brick Bible  (Read 2078 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: December 10, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

Never buy the Brick Bible for your kids.  I saw one at the bookstore and thought of getting one for my kids to read during Liturgy.  I quickly flipped through the pages to see if it was any good.  The following passage:

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;

is written as:

"Whoever does not hate their father and mother cannot be my disciple"

Also it was depicted by a rather violent scene between the Lego characters hitting each other with pitchforks and with Lego blood spills.

This book should just be burned.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »

It is "hate".

And the "bible" you are talking about it, if it is the one I am thinking of, is hilarious, but absolutely not intended for children. (They might have a version for children now.)

But I guess the Bible per se doesn't really fit into what most people think is proper reading for kids. Or adults for that matter.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

By "hate" I am certain He did not mean one should slaughter their parents as seems to be depicted in this book.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

Ah yes, I remember my children's bible. I didn't like it and used my pocket money to buy a real one instead.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:57:36 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"Se vogliamo che tutto rimanga come è, bisogna che tutto cambi."
-G.T di Lampedusa

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »

It is "hate".

And the "bible" you are talking about it, if it is the one I am thinking of, is hilarious, but absolutely not intended for children. (They might have a version for children now.)

But I guess the Bible per se doesn't really fit into what most people think is proper reading for kids. Or adults for that matter.

I can't find an English translation that says "hate".  Unless the Brick Bible is a legitimate English translation Bible.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »

It is "hate".

I can't find an English translation that says "hate".  Unless the Brick Bible is a legitimate English translation Bible.
There are many translations that use "hate" in this passage. It's more common than not:

New International Version (©1984)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.

English Standard Version (©2001)
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, and even his own life--he cannot be My disciple.

International Standard Version (©2012)
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“Whoever comes to me and does not hate his father and his mother and his brothers and his sisters and his wife and his children and even himself, he cannot be my disciple.”

American King James Version
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

American Standard Version
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Douay-Rheims Bible
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Darby Bible Translation
If any man come to me, and shall not hate his own father and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yea, and his own life too, he cannot be my disciple;

English Revised Version
If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:46:56 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »

Ah.  Seems I am looking at the wrong passage  Huh
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »

Ah.  Seems I am looking at the wrong passage  Huh
The passage I am quoting is Luke 14:6.

You quoted Matthew 10:37.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:03:49 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »

Funny. I just listened to Fr. Thomas Hopko yesterday in a podcast and he mentioned how some people will make it a resolution to read the entire Bible before they die and come out super enlightened and inspired, only to find inconsistencies, problems, dilemmas and sinfulness only three chapters within Genesis.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »

By "hate" I am certain He did not mean one should slaughter their parents as seems to be depicted in this book.

I didn't suggest it did.

The book is satire.

It is quite brilliant actually. Nick turned me on to it ten years late or something.

But really this raises a larger issue, is the "Bible" in its entirely "appropriate for children".

Given the number of kid's "bibles" I guess most parents don't think so.

I think that is too bad. I read it as a kid. I even read between some of the euphemistic lines of the OT.

Children not reading the Bible as kids does two things:

Causes them pause as they get older, when they realize their faith or at least one of the radical foundations of it is very different in tone than what happens in Sunday school.

Makes them Scripturally illiterate, thus robbing them of one of the most important grounds for all Western thought and art.

choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »

Satire?  Obviously I'm not in on the joke, and perhaps a lot of other people as well.  No wonder there's a lot of hate against Christians today.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

I don't see how anyone could read the Bible literally and still consider God morally just and/or still adhere to science. If it weren't for Origen of Alexandria giving me permission to allegorize everything, I probably would have left it behind a long time ago.

-Orthonorm
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »

I don't see how anyone could read the Bible literally and still consider God morally just and/or still adhere to science.

*sigh

-G.T di Lampedusa

-Byron
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »

I don't see how anyone could read the Bible literally and still consider God morally just and/or still adhere to science. If it weren't for Origen of Alexandria giving me permission to allegorize everything, I probably would have left it behind a long time ago.

*facepalm*

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »

I didn't suggest it did.

The book is satire.

It is quite brilliant actually. Nick turned me on to it ten years late or something.

But really this raises a larger issue, is the "Bible" in its entirely "appropriate for children".

Given the number of kid's "bibles" I guess most parents don't think so.

I think that is too bad. I read it as a kid. I even read between some of the euphemistic lines of the OT.

Children not reading the Bible as kids does two things:

Causes them pause as they get older, when they realize their faith or at least one of the radical foundations of it is very different in tone than what happens in Sunday school.

Makes them Scripturally illiterate, thus robbing them of one of the most important grounds for all Western thought and art.

Amen, amen, I say to you, AMEN!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »

LOL!

James, you are a natural.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »

Maybe one should read Origen first, then the Bible?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

The Brick bible does not appear to me to be a legitimately intended bible for Christian kids.

It almost appears to be an attack on the Bible, and the OP's description is consistent with that understanding.

Look at this page - The epistles on slavery
http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistles/on_slavery/01_1t06_01pep06_05.html
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Yeah....I don't like the whole "it's supposed to be sarcastic" argument.

There's nothing sarcastic or even mildly funny about taking the Holy Book and ridiculing it.

There are many other things that are truly funny....this is not one.

I wouldn't spend my money on such garbage.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »

Yeah....I don't like the whole "it's supposed to be sarcastic" argument.

There's nothing sarcastic or even mildly funny about taking the Holy Book and ridiculing it.

There are many other things that are truly funny....this is not one.

I wouldn't spend my money on such garbage.

I don't mean to be justifying it. It's not merely "sarcastic" either. it's satire directly attacking Christianity.
choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

The Brick bible does not appear to me to be a legitimately intended bible for Christian kids.

Clueless parents like myself wouldn't get that off the bat.  Good thing I'm not an impulse buyer.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »

It is satire and well done.

It is satirizing the "Ned Flanders" understanding of the Bible, if anything else.

The amount of work done to do so is rather staggering and quite well done.

The standard edition is quite clear it is not for children.

Again, why parents are having their kids read any other Scripture than Scripture I think is what is more telling and problematic. Hence the ability of these people to satire the Bible via kids' toys to begin with.

Anyway, they do offer Sunday Schoolization versions of the "bible" for your kids renders harmlessly in word and Lego.

choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »

It is satirizing the "Ned Flanders" understanding of the Bible, if anything else.

Again, why parents are having their kids read any other Scripture than Scripture I think is what is more telling and problematic. Hence the ability of these people to satire the Bible via kids' toys to begin with.

Anyway, they do offer Sunday Schoolization versions of the "bible" for your kids renders harmlessly in word and Lego.

You mean we just give the standard Bible to our toddlers and not those board books with illustrations that are sold from Orthodox bookstores?
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »

Harmlessly?

http://www.thebricktestament.com/epistles/on_authority/01_rm13_01.html
http://www.bricktestament.com/epistles/on_the_jews/03_1j02_22-23.html

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:39:35 PM by adampjr » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »

You mean we just give the standard Bible to our toddlers and not those board books with illustrations that are sold from Orthodox bookstores?

How is rendering Scripture as "board books" any different than buying an icon to let your "toddler" color over?

I don't care who sells it.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Send stuff like this to the hyper-fundies in your life.

I've "read" the entire piece of satire, so you are not going to scandalize me.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »

Neither of those interpretations evidenced by the images is contrary to historical interpretation (at least in some cases).  If Christians are to be taken seriously, they must seriously think about and address those interpretations, not just declare them wrong or offensive.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
choy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »

How is rendering Scripture as "board books" any different than buying an icon to let your "toddler" color over?

You don't have kids, do you?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »

Do you let your kids teeth on Scripture, literally?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »

I am guessing this is a rhetorical ad hominem.

The answer might surprise you.

choy
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:07 PM »

I am guessing this is a rhetorical ad hominem.

The answer might surprise you.

It most probably will.  Unfortunately not all surprises are good.
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »

It most probably will.  Unfortunately not all surprises are good.

Hehehe, I laughed.

-G.T di Lampedusa

-Byron
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

Here is a thought: If Scripture is supposed to be so inspiring and godly, then why do parents feel the need to buy their children these sugarcoated half-truth Evangelical "Kids Bibles"? Why not just give them the original? It seems to suggest that deep down--as much as they may deny it--the parents themselves know that there is something inconsistent or wrong with the Scriptures that they cannot understand, so instead of trying to solve it or admit to it, they want to lie to their kids so that at least their children will grow up believing the same lie. Then when they reach an older age and actually do read the real Scriptures, they become disturbed and confused about everything in there, and end up leaving the faith. Even Fr. Thomas Hopko said this.

-Orthonorm
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

Here is a thought: If Scripture is supposed to be so inspiring and godly, then why do parents feel the need to buy their children these sugarcoated half-truth Evangelical "Kids Bibles"? Why not just give them the original? It seems to suggest that deep down--as much as they may deny it--the parents themselves know that there is something inconsistent or wrong with the Scriptures that they cannot understand, so instead of trying to solve it or admit to it, they want to lie to their kids so that at least their children will grow up believing the same lie. Then when they reach an older age and actually do read the real Scriptures, they become disturbed and confused about everything in there, and end up leaving the faith. Even Fr. Thomas Hopko said this.

I doubt it.

-G.T di Lampedusa

-Byron
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »

I doubt it.

He said something similar in a podcast. He was talking about people who go to read the Bible before they die thinking that they will come out all fully inspired and enlightened, only to find themselves confused, disturbed, questioning everything and worse off than when they went it. Within the first three chapters of the thing we're already confronted with the question of how old the Earth is, we see a story of two brothers murdering each other, and who was this guy's wife? Did he marry his sister? etc.

-Orthonorm
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

I doubt it.

No, he most certainly did, in the context that JamesR mentioned: the dangerous proliferation of "children's bibles" which omit all sorts of things that tend to shock people when they read the original years later, basically making them think that they were lied to all along. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »

Kind of like telling your kids there really is a Santa Claus.

—St. Isaac of Syria
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Not trying to scandalize you, man. I just don't think this stuff is entirely harmless. I personally think its rather funny. But I wouldn't go passing it off to my kids as a "children's bible."
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Not trying to scandalize you, man. I just don't think this stuff is entirely harmless. I personally think its rather funny. But I wouldn't go passing it off to my kids as a "children's bible."

Nor are the publishers.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Nor are the publishers.

I am not sure if we are all reading the same thread.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Nor are the publishers.

I am not sure if we are all reading the same thread.

I find myself thinking that about an increasing number of threads on here, hence the recent decrease in my "serious" participation around here.

adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

Those are great.

Thanks.

Nor are the publishers.

I'm aware. If you read the OP, it's obvious that some people mistakenly thought it was something other than what it was.
choy
Archon

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »

I'm aware. If you read the OP, it's obvious that some people mistakenly thought it was something other than what it was.

Definitely!  If it was meant as a joke, it should be in the comedy section of the bookstore, not the Religious books.  Then again, if you have Kate of Jon and Kate Plus 8 fame's book in the religious section, you'd understand why many Westerners are losing their faith these days.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Biblically speaking, hate does refer to preference of one thing over another.

I must admit, if I was gonna be a bible thumper, I couldn't think of a better name for one to use.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: