OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 02:06:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Jesus have others fight His battles for him?  (Read 273 times) Average Rating: 0
LewisBosch

Faith: Inquirer, Christian

« on: December 10, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »

I had a discussion today with my fiance concerning my opinions/emotions concerning conflict. Long story short, she replied the following:

"It always struck me as odd Jesus had others fight for him and than would rebuke them, but if they didn't fight, he would have been hurt."

I can only think of one story, the story of Peter in the Garden, where Jesus was under direct physical threat and someone assaulted on His behalf. What are the other stories? Are there other stories I've someone missed or misread?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »

Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness, fasting, and being tempted by Satan. No-one helped Him there.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »

I had a discussion today with my fiance concerning my opinions/emotions concerning conflict. Long story short, she replied the following:

"It always struck me as odd Jesus had others fight for him and than would rebuke them, but if they didn't fight, he would have been hurt."

I can only think of one story, the story of Peter in the Garden, where Jesus was under direct physical threat and someone assaulted on His behalf. What are the other stories? Are there other stories I've someone missed or misread?

I think you need to ask her where she gets this impression from, because it certainly doesn't tally with mine at all. And Christ wasn't exactly worried about getting hurt was He? I mean given that He voluntarily endured Crucifixion.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LewisBosch

Faith: Inquirer, Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »

She couldn't remember specifics, and she wasn't being flippant, so I know she was heart felt.

I wasn't sure if there was some small story I had missed or glossed over at one point or another, and if there is I would need to do some t hinting and research to better talk with her. Really, the point just struck an ill cord with me, and I want it to stop strumming.
Red A.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

IIRC Peter was rebuked earlier for wishing to stop Christ from fulfilling his purpose(Who do you say that I am). This was just another time Peter was off the page.
Tags: Jesus Christ 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: