OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Use of Parables  (Read 784 times) Average Rating: 0
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »

Maybe some of my more learned brethern could assist me here. Correct and inform me.

I have learned that Jesus used parables because the use of a parable was (1) common in Palestinian/Middle Eastern culture and (2) to protect himself from the wrath of the Pharisees -  until the proper time. What is the Orthodox viewpoint. I am aware that Jesus interprest the parables for his disciples explaining that he was using a parable to conceal his teachings from the wise and reveal it instead to babes. I am rambling. Any help.

MODERATION:  I changed the color of your colored text to make it easier to read--yellow is notoriously hard to see against a white background--and nothing more.   - Peter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:55:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »

I have always thought he used parables to convey a message more clearly than just hard-and-fast rules.

When he gave stories that illustrated various characters in different stages of the human condition, (such as those who were prideful, ignored others who had problems, etc.), those who listened could associate their actions with one of the people.

As an example, take the man who asked "Who is my neighbor?" Jesus shows how three people, a priest, a Levite, and a Samaritan, each reacted to a man who was injured. Therefore, those listening or reading the Gospel can place themselves in the situation and see who they most closely embody in their current state, and what they can strive to become.

If Jesus had simply said, "Help anyone, regardless," there would not be such a powerful image to help someone, thus, the message would not have been conveyed effectively.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:05:10 PM »

The parable messages weren't always to hide Himself from the pharisees - they were angry with Him anyway.  But they did allow Him to personalize the messages for the people, speak to them on their own levels, give them a means to remember the stories and convey them to their families and friends, and give them powerful meaningful visual assistance.

With the parable of the Good Samaritan (that Simayan brought up) - the Samaritans were enemies of the Jews, unclean because of their historical abandonment of the God of Israel, and thus generally shied away from.  So in one swoop, Jesus now only tells the man that he must help his brethren, but also that he must help his enemies.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »

I wrote my mega NT research paper on Jesus' parables. I'll try to dig it up later. From what I remember, I wrote it according to the specific desires of the prof -- so I got an A -- but I don't think it will be very interesting or useful to a "normal" person.  Roll Eyes

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:14:51 PM »

Stories can stick in the memory better then a list of 'what you should or shouldn't do.  One of the common marks of Human Beings in the making of stories.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »

Stories can stick in the memory better then a list of 'what you should or shouldn't do.  One of the common marks of Human Beings in the making of stories.

Ebor

indeed and stories can inspire people to better themselves. While rules and all that stuff, will make them kick. Because no one wants to be told what to do. But everyone loves stories, because stories have the truth in their core.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: