OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:36:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photoshopped Image?  (Read 2082 times) Average Rating: 0
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Has this image been photoshopped to make the Chalice and Diskos larger than usual? Or do they use super-sized items during the Paschal Patriarchal Liturgy?
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »

No, it's not 'shopped. Large chalices and patens are made for use where there are large numbers of communicants. The one in the photo is by no means the largest I've seen.  Smiley
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

Has this image been photoshopped to make the Chalice and Diskos larger than usual? Or do they use super-sized items during the Paschal Patriarchal Liturgy?

Sometimes there may be over a thousand people at a Liturgy. In the Slavic tradition. the Communion is from the gifts offered at that service from one Chalice (and Diskos), after they are sanctified, the Communion is divided to other chalices to speed up the Communion of the people.   
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

I've attended plenty of liturgies with well over a 100 communicants, but even then, the Gifts were prepared in one Chalice and transferred to others (with more wine being added accordingly). Still, it's interesting to know that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »

That is not as big as this one...

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »

In the Slavic tradition. the Communion is from the gifts offered at that service from one Chalice (and Diskos), after they are sanctified, the Communion is divided to other chalices to speed up the Communion of the people.   

How is it done in other  traditions then? Multiple chalices during consecration?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »

It all makes sense now...

(From Hyperdox Herman's Facebook page)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:31:09 PM by Luckster » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »

^ROFL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »

It all makes sense now...

(From Hyperdox Herman's Facebook page)
Cheesy
I love it!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »

LOL!  That's funny!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

In the Slavic tradition. the Communion is from the gifts offered at that service from one Chalice (and Diskos), after they are sanctified, the Communion is divided to other chalices to speed up the Communion of the people.   

How is it done in other  traditions then? Multiple chalices during consecration?

At my church when we have two priests for comunion, one chalice is consecrated at the consecration and then, at the priests' communion, blood from the consecrated chalice is added to the second chalice to consecrate the wine therein.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:32 AM »

Maybe they are made in Texas HAHA

Look at the size of that Lamb! I wonder if one priest will finish that off after everyone else partakes.

I was picking on a friend of mine talking about big Chalices and how heavy they must be. His reply was "and they are filled with wine so there is extra weight." My reply was, "yeah, and Blood is even denser than wine!"   Tongue
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:45:46 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »

Look at the size of that Lamb! I wonder if one priest will finish that off after everyone else partakes.

I was picking on a friend of mine talking about big Chalices and how heavy they must be. His reply was "and they are filled with wine so there is extra weight." My reply was, "yeah, and Blood is even denser than wine!"   Tongue
Like my joke years ago when the subject of how much money our parish was spending per year on incense came up. "All that money going up in smoke." That didn't go over very well. Tongue
Fr. Bob

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Traditional Anglican Communion (In proccess being received ROCOR Western Rite)

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

If they were so lucky!!!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »

I don't think joking about communion in any shape or form is funny. 

Fr. Bob

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Traditional Anglican Communion (In proccess being received ROCOR Western Rite)

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:21 AM »

First of all this was most certainly was not meant as a joke. The statement was a quite tongue in cheek as to the pride of anything created in Texas. Many would consider it a distinct honor to utilize any sacred vessel created in that grand state and blessed for Gods sacred service. For others who are perhaps from less prideful origins it is completely understandable and to this end, in Christian love, I accept your admonishment. Blessings.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:42 AM »

First of all this was most certainly was not meant as a joke. The statement was a quite tongue in cheek as to the pride of anything created in Texas. Many would consider it a distinct honor to utilize any sacred vessel created in that grand state and blessed for Gods sacred service. For others who are perhaps from less prideful origins it is completely understandable and to this end, in Christian love, I accept your admonishment. Blessings.

My friends, like me, who came from a Catholic or Anglican congregation, found it difficult to adapt to the sobriety of Orthodoxy. I offered many apologies until I learned to avoid dissipation.

There is a time for laughter, and a time for weeping for our sins.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »

Please forgive me if any of my comments caused you any anger or stress. I ensure you, I would never make jokes about the very Body and Blood of our Lord. Read carefully, my comment about how big the lamb was in that picture was an honest question. It's so big I really want to know if one priest might consume it all or if it's split up with other priest if there is still a large portion after all partake of it. Now regarding the comment about wine and Blood and the weight of the chalice. Asking and pondering the weight of that big of a chalice is sincere, most of them are made of gold or silver and could get very heavy. My friend who made the comment that it would be even heavier with wine is a catechumen of about five to six months. I was reassuring him that there is no wine, but the Blood of our Lord in the chalice. He smiled and understood because he is still learning and I wanted to teach that point in a friendly manor as to not cause him to fall into sin. Again, I humbly get on my knees and beg you, forgive me if I have caused you any anger or stress with my comments. Lord have mercy on me, a sinner!

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »

Usually when someone starts off a sentence with those three words, I am pretty sure they are telling me the truth.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »

At my church when we have two priests for comunion, one chalice is consecrated at the consecration and then, at the priests' communion, blood from the consecrated chalice is added to the second chalice to consecrate the wine therein.

Huh Huh Huh

I thought this is a Protestant practice. So basically consecrated and non-consecrated wines are mixed?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

I thought this is a Protestant practice. So basically consecrated and non-consecrated wines are mixed?

Still better than other sollutions.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

How can this be a protestant practice when protestants do not believe the wine becomes the blood of Christ?

Once the consecrated blood is added to the wine in the other chalice it becomes consecrated, it transforms the wine just as it transforms us when we partake.

Joseph
choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

How can this be a protestant practice when protestants do not believe the wine becomes the blood of Christ?

Once the consecrated blood is added to the wine in the other chalice it becomes consecrated, it transforms the wine just as it transforms us when we partake.

I love this explanation and it is very consistent with our beliefs.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

Some do. Most of the Protestants in my country do.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

Or It dilutes...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:27 AM »

Huh Huh Huh

Or It dilutes...

It cannot be diluted.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 01:38:58 AM »

Huh Huh Huh

Post of the month?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »

Forget chalices! That asterisk has had to been mistaken for a giant spider before.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »

Usually when someone starts off a sentence with those three words, I am pretty sure they are telling me the truth.
Just grew up taught joking about communion was one of the biggest no nos.  saw a kid kicked immediately out of my high school for pocketing communion.  It is different for those who grew up in the tradition versus those who are new to it. 

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:52 AM »

Huh Huh Huh

Or It dilutes...

I don't know if this is applicable but -

"Broken and distributed is the Lamb of God; broken but never divided; ever eaten, yet never consumed, but hallowing those who partake." (The Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom)

Could it dilute if the body is broken but never divided?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »

Now I'm curious.

How in the world could the priest's lift the chalice of that size?  Obviously there would be many people partaking and he would have to hold it for a very long while (with one hand) while giving communion with the other.

Do they divide out of these huge chalices to other smaller ones?

I just can't believe somebody could hold a brass/silver lined chalice with what, a gallon of wine/bread for 20-25 minutes with one arm....

Forgive my ignorance, but I've NEVER seen a chalice that big.  WOW, it's like an entire loaf on the discos!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »

a gallon of wine/bread for 20-25 minutes with one arm....

There is no wine or bread in the chalice!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:39 AM »

I just can't believe somebody could hold a brass/silver lined chalice with what, a gallon of wine/bread for 20-25 minutes with one arm....

How do you think?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »

a gallon of wine/bread for 20-25 minutes with one arm....

There is no wine or bread in the chalice!

There may not be, but I'm sure the weight survived the consecration...

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »

did you hear the one about...

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: