OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 03:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contacting Defrocked Priest  (Read 363 times) Average Rating: 0
Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »

While attending an OCA parish years ago, we received a new priest around 2003. In 2004, the parish learned that the bishop removed him and silently sent him to the other side of the diocese under strict provisions he never contact anyone from the parish again.  He was 'reduced' in status from being a priest to 'attached to the altar' of this new church. His wife and kids remained at our home parish. To this day, no one knows what exactly he was accused of, but we know it was sexual abuse. About one year later, in The Orthodox Church, it said he was defrocked completely.  Flash forward to 2012. I've been Facebook friends with his youngest son for a few years now. We don't talk much, outside of small talk. But, I found his father, the defrocked priest on the website.

Do I contact the defrocked priest? He admits on his profile that he's defrocked, and that he lacks faith, but that God provides. He also is still active in the Church in a ROCOR parish. Any advice is appreciated.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »

Why? What is your interest?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »

To catch-up, see how he's doing. He wasn't a bad guy, which is why the accusations and swift removal sent shockwaves through the parish at the time.

Now, you might say, "But, wait, aren't you Facebook friends with his son? Why not ask him?"

That's a good point, but he was my former priest, not the son. There's a reason why you keep in contact with priests well after he's no longer your Father Confessor.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »

Well, defrocking doesnt mean shunning. If you want to say hello, I'd say go ahead. You're being friendly, not making him your confessor.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Luckster
Double Dipper

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »

Good point. Thanks.
Tags: Facebook  priest Defrocking 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: