OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:52:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's the Devil?  (Read 227 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

Lucifer, Satan, the Prince of Darkness, the Devil etc. All different names for this one guy who's seen as like the ultimate bad guy in every Abrahamic religion. My question is, who and what exactly is the Devil according to Orthodoxy? I hear a lot of stories about him and all, some about him being a fallen angel, others that he was condemned for not bowing down to Adam etc. Just a lot of stuff about him. Yet, how do we discern what is true and not true? How much of this is true and how much of it is just a faulty Protestant understanding of Jewish folklore and how much of it is just pure myth? As far as I know, the Scriptures actually say very little about his origins, so what does the Church say about him? Does he even exist, or is he just the personification of human wickedness?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »

Lucifer, Satan, the Prince of Darkness, the Devil etc. All different names for this one guy who's seen as like the ultimate bad guy in every Abrahamic religion. My question is, who and what exactly is the Devil according to Orthodoxy? I hear a lot of stories about him and all, some about him being a fallen angel, others that he was condemned for not bowing down to Adam etc. Just a lot of stuff about him. Yet, how do we discern what is true and not true? How much of this is true and how much of it is just a faulty Protestant understanding of Jewish folklore and how much of it is just pure myth? As far as I know, the Scriptures actually say very little about his origins, so what does the Church say about him? Does he even exist, or is he just the personification of human wickedness?

Satan really exists. After all, part of the atonement was the conquering of Satan, who had a real hold over us, by Christ.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

Prince of Darkness

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
eyesmile

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »

Prince of the power of the air Satan is a powerful angel and one could say a fallen Archangel who fell through pride and vainglory taking with him many angels become demons who seek only to recruit human souls to vanity fear and death and yes because of jealously and hate in their committed fallen state.

You will know them by their fruits is clear enough love on one side and malice on the other but subtle is the devils playground and guile his domain.

One more thing pure and infinite sincerity of The Spirit crushes and dispels evil, it is the one thing he can not mimic or endure. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:20:53 PM by eyesmile » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: