OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does God Care About What We Watch/Listen to/Read?  (Read 422 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »

Does God care about our forms of entertainment, like what we watch on television, or the music we listen to, or the books and/or internet articles we read? I mean, does He have a problem with me watching downright profane yet hilarious shows like Robot Chicken from time to time for laughs, or listening to music that is downright profane even though I am just purely listening to it for its poetic value like the internal rhymes, metaphors and multi-syllables being rhymed? Or reading dark literature that is violent--like Poe, who was clearly demented psychologically? What are we supposed to do for entertainment if we have to give all of this up?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »

I think if you tried to look at it closely and objectively, you'd question your reasons for chosing certain forms of entertainment. Do they really have a zero impact on your soul? I would say not. Even our entertainment affects our disposition in the spiritual as well as the rest of our lives. Does God really care? Well, doesn't he want what is best for you? Isn't he interested in your growth as a human being in his image and likeness? Isn't salvation, after all, a continuous process requiring both God's grace and our effort?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:32:23 AM »

Well he did say "The eye is the lamp of the body"...

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:34 AM »

Yes. He cares for your soul, which is why He lead you to the Orthodox Christian church and gave you the opportunity to speak to your priest about such questions. When will you learn?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:18:38 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »

I think He does very much.  I have been re-reading the Sharpe novels and have gotten to Sharpe's Fortress but am taking a brief hiatus to read War Before Civilization.  But anyways, when I started Fortress I was visited by a prophet and a host of angels, I think it was Muh...(I don't wanna get bombed), and he said that Sharpe's Eagle is considered one of the finest pieces of literature up in Heaven.  I told him that I agreed and loved that one as well.  Then I asked him why he had been sent by God and he told me that he sorta messed up the message last time he was given a serious task so now he pretty much just does heavenly book reviews.  Then he told me to 'keep it real', we fist bumped, and he departed.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

^

Yes, He cares.  Inasmuch as he knows the count of hairs on your head, do you not think He knows what you are watching, saying, listening to, thinking?  Do you not think he realizes that you are polluting your mind or soul?

Anything that distracts you from God, and doing His will....is a no no.  Sure, entertainment is fine, in moderation....but, be sure it's not going to have a lasting negative effect on you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:42:54 PM »

There are activities that are good for us and/or bring us closer to God and there are activities that do the opposite. The specific details may vary for each individual, but generally speaking we know what they are and also we know that we should not be involved in them. God wants what's best for us, and wants us to have joy and peace of mind and heart.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:06 PM »

Does God care about our forms of entertainment, like what we watch on television, or the music we listen to, or the books and/or internet articles we read? I mean, does He have a problem with me watching downright profane yet hilarious shows like Robot Chicken from time to time for laughs, or listening to music that is downright profane even though I am just purely listening to it for its poetic value like the internal rhymes, metaphors and multi-syllables being rhymed? Or reading dark literature that is violent--like Poe, who was clearly demented psychologically? What are we supposed to do for entertainment if we have to give all of this up?

He cares IMO. But I don't think you have to necessarily "give it all up." If it's taking all your time and you never do anything that is also wholesome, it is an unhealthily unbalanced intake. I watch TV shows, play video games, listen to music, etc. Things that are too far off the end of profanity I avoid.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: