OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 12:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candles in Worship  (Read 3258 times) Average Rating: 0
WeepingProphet

OC.net

« on: December 24, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »

So folks talk to me....

What significance do candles and incense have in worship?

Can I use them for worship and prayer at home?

Many blessings to you-Buon Natale!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 04:41:41 PM by WeepingProphet » Logged

" My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I have neglected."
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 04:58:32 PM »

What significance do candles and incense have in worship?

Christ the Light of the world, letting your light shine before men, the warmth of one's prayers rising to heaven like smoke into the air (Psalm 140/141) and a reminder of the burnt sacrifices of the Old Testament, which now are seen as types (forerunners) of the self-Sacrifice of Christ.

Can I use them for worship and prayer at home?

Yes.

Buon Natale.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 05:56:09 PM »

For info on candles in Orthodox worship access -

http://www.orthodoxworld.ru/english/hram/6/

http://www.stmaryofegypt.org/devotion/candles.htm

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/beginning/candle.shtml

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »

Also, you can click here for a previous thread done here a whilie back that offers a very good and thorough list of explanations as to the significance of candles in Orthodox worship.

E buon Natale.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 10:45:50 AM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 12:48:11 AM »

You know, it's funny that this topic has come up again because I just started reading "Studies in the Greek Church" by Archbishop Anthony Bashir and I came across the following information about candles and incense and I was thinking how useful someone may find it and then I come online and here is a topic all about it!  Afro 

Anyways, on to the info!

ILLUMINATION: LAMPADS, CANDELABRA AND CANDLESTICKS:

In all churches, on the altar and on the Table of Oblations, also behind the altar and in front of the ikons, lights are kept burning, not only during evening and night services, but during the day services as well. They signify that the Lord gives us the light of truth, and that our souls burn with the love of God and are penetrated with feelings of joy and devotion. It is quite in accordance with this conception, that during solemn hoiday services and decreased during penitential services.

For the illumination of a church, two things are needed -- oil and wax. Oil (yielded by the fruit of the olive tree), is symbolic of grace, indicating that the Lord sheds His grace on men, while men on their side are ready to offer Him in sacrifice deeds of mercy. The pure wax, collected by the bees from fragrant flowers, is used as a token that the prayers of men offered from a pure heart are acceptable to God.

Of the candlesticks and candelabra used in the church, some are portable and some stationary, all varying in the number of candles or lamps which they bear. The candlesticks are always portable and carry one, two or three candles. One candle reminds us that there is but one God, Who is the Light Eternal; the candlestick with two candles is call Dykirion ("two candles"), and indicates that in Jesus Christ are united two natures---the divine and the human ; that of three candles is called Trikirion ("three candles"), and alludes to the three persons of the Deity. There are stationary candelabra, standing and suspended, in front of the ikon, bearing both lamps and wax candles. These are called candils or lampads if they carry only one candle; polycandils ("many lights"), if they carry seven or twelve candles (seven candles in allusion to the seven gifts of the Holy Ghost, and twelve in allusion to the Apostles); lastly panicandils ("all light") are those that carry more than twelve candles. Some times, in a panicandil is made in the shape of a circle, garnished with candles, it is called khoros, which means "a circle," "an assembly".

INCENSE.

Besides the lampads, candlestick and candalabra, with their burning candles and lamps, an important item of divine service is the burning and swinging of incense (a fragrant tree-gum). This swinging is performed sometimes before the altar and ikons; then it expresses the wish of the worshippers that their rayer may ascend to Heaven,  as the fumes of incense mount aloft. Sometimes the incense in swung towards the worshippers; then it expresses the wish ofd the celebrant that the grace of the Holy Ghost may encompass these souls of the fiahtful as the frangrant cloud of the incense encompasses them. The vessels which holds the incense is called censer; it is a cup with a cover running on three slight chains, which all unite into one handle.

Hope that you find this info helpful!

In Christ,
Aaron
Mystes
Pathomachos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:06 AM »

Hi guys. I was browsing through the forum looking at various threads to do with candle use at home but couldn't find an answer. First of, is there a significant difference in use of a vigil lamp as opposed to burning a candle? And second (this one's a bit silly), once a candle is lit during morning/evening prayers, is it acceptable to put it out if it hasn't burnt out and light it again on the next occasion (prayer)?

Ad majorem Adonai gloriam!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »

Hi guys. I was browsing through the forum looking at various threads to do with candle use at home but couldn't find an answer. First of, is there a significant difference in use of a vigil lamp as opposed to burning a candle? And second (this one's a bit silly), once a candle is lit during morning/evening prayers, is it acceptable to put it out if it hasn't burnt out and light it again on the next occasion (prayer)?
No and yes.

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »

It is good to recall, electric lights are a historically new phenomena/technology. For most of the history of the Church, lighting candles and lamps really were/are an offering of light...which is important when you have a lot of evening and early morning services.

They certainly can be used at home (either one). I have both left my lampada or candle burning, and at other times have snuffed them out and relit them later. Best practice with lampadas is to keep at least one burning Pascha to Pascha, but in this day and age...apartment rules, etc. It may not be practicable or even permitted. 

That said, beeswax candles are great aides to worship because they are such a full metaphor of the Christian life.
1. They bear light.
2. They soften when lit, grow cold and hard when extinguished. Many shining together creates such warmth they all become very soft and bow.
3. When their flame is disturbed they weep.
4. When it is trimmed just right, the flame burns steady, still, and without smoke...the image of passionless prayer.
5. If the wick is too long, it smokes.
6. If it is too short, it gutters.
7. It's burning turns it's body into light. The image of a life transfigured by prayer.
8. Their burning not only gives light but a sweet fragrance as well (like incense...like a prayer transformed life).
9. And if you touch even the tiniest lit candle to the wick of another, two lights burn where there had been only one.
10. The candle that burns still and bright, stands always in the shadow of its own flame. It easily beholds the light others while being blind to it's own...just like the humble heart knows its self as a sinner, but rejoices in the light and grace it beholds in the lives of others.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:58 AM »

Beeswax candles are supposedly the ideal, but any type of candle is perfectly acceptable. The candles sold at Orthodox churches are rarely 100% beeswax. Most are a mixture of waxes, including stearate and paraffin, and sometimes a little beeswax. The brownish color seen in many church candles does not necessarily mean they contain beeswax.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:47:20 AM by LBK » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »

It is good to recall, electric lights are a historically new phenomena/technology. For most of the history of the Church, lighting candles and lamps really were/are an offering of light...which is important when you have a lot of evening and early morning services.

They certainly can be used at home (either one). I have both left my lampada or candle burning, and at other times have snuffed them out and relit them later. Best practice with lampadas is to keep at least one burning Pascha to Pascha, but in this day and age...apartment rules, etc. It may not be practicable or even permitted. 

That said, beeswax candles are great aides to worship because they are such a full metaphor of the Christian life.
1. They bear light.
2. They soften when lit, grow cold and hard when extinguished. Many shining together creates such warmth they all become very soft and bow.
4. When it is trimmed just right, the flame burns steady, still, and without smoke...the image of passionless prayer.
7. It's burning turns it's body into light. The image of a life transfigured by prayer.
8. Their burning not only gives light but a sweet fragrance as well (like incense...like a prayer transformed life).
9. And if you touch even the tiniest lit candle to the wick of another, two lights burn where there had been only one.
10. The candle that burns still and bright, stands always in the shadow of its own flame. It easily beholds the light others while being blind to it's own...just like the humble heart knows its self as a sinner, but rejoices in the light and grace it beholds in the lives of others.

Did they use paraffin in 17th century Russia? Is Outrage!   (Is Onion Dome joke).

We need to support monastery bees.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »

If even a quarter of the churches in a diocese were to be supplied with 100% beeswax candles, wax production needs to be on an industrial scale. A handful of hives here and there simply won't do it.

There are many parts of the world where Orthodox people live where there are either no monasteries, or nowhere near enough to supply enough beeswax for church use. And not all monasteries keep bees.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »

1. They bear light.

Nice post!

My habit is to extinguish the candles at the  close of my prayer rule, and trim the wicks so they don't smolder down too far.  Sometimes when I rekindle them, they are very slow to start burning, so as I warm up in prayer, so are the candle flames growing in intensity. 

From "The Joy of the Holy" by Harry M. Boosalis:

"...Examples from St. Seraphim's own experience illustrate how his life of prayer was based on the simple and most essential practices of the Orthodox Faith.  He used these practices in the development of his own prayer life.  They represent very practical and traditional ways of worship, common and familiar to every believer, and accessible to all.  these practices include the simple act of lighting candles.  The fact that he used the lighting of candles as the basis of his prayer for others reveals the original yet deeply traditional ways of his ascetic practice.  St. Seraphim himself relates how the burning of candles acquired such a significant role within his prayer life:

You want to learn, my beloved, why I burn so many candles and lamps in front of the holy icons?  This the the reason: many faithful...ask me to pray for them.  So when I do my rule of prayer, in the beginning I commemorate them all at one time.  There are many names, however, and I cannot repeat them, because then I would not be able to do my rule of prayer.  Therefore I light these candles as a sacrifice to God.

Each candle represents many ... For some people I keep a votive lamp burning permanently.  Every time I want to commemorate them, I say, 'Remember Lord, all those people for whom I, the humble one, burn these candles and votive lamps before you.'  I did not make this up on my own, nor is it simple zeal without foundation.  It is secured from the Holy Scripture (see Lev. 24.2-3).  That is why our Holy Church has the tradition of burning candles and votive lamps, in the churches and in the homes of the faithful...." 
Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: