OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can we defend homosexuals, as Christians?  (Read 7596 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »

Arise, O thread, and judge the for'm!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

As usual, im late to the party... (way late in this case) but I would certainly think you should stand up for your friend against any bullying or harassment.  To me, youre not 'approving' of his homosexuality, but you are rather taking a stand against the people who are doing the bullying and harassing.  They shouldnt do that to anyone regardless of sexual orientation.  I dont want to sound all 2nd grade Sunday School here, but isnt all sin equal in Gods eyes?  If someone is sinning with homosexuality, how is that different that bullying?  Jesus sure had a way with making friends with sinners, so I would think that would be ok for you to do the same.

But, I wouldnt try to lie or back down when it comes to the Christian stance on homosexuality.  Im sure he knows about it already anyways.  But sometimes I think God is just as upset with how some Christians (not necessarily any of you) treat homosexuals as he is with the issue of homosexuality itself. 

However, this thread is way older than I thought it was when I first started typing, so this is probably irrelevant now anyways...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »

However, this thread is way older than I thought it was when I first started typing, so this is probably irrelevant now anyways...

Not irrelevant.  The kid I spoke about in the original post has since started a club at school for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender students and straight allies.  They meet to talk and support eachother.  I've seen a huge decrease of this type of bullying in my school, thank God.  Gay faculty members host this club, and I think this shoes kids that one can be gay, as well as a normal person.  It's not all leather chaps and rainbows Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:06:50 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »

Not irrelevant.  The kid I spoke about in the original post has since started a club at school for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender students and straight allies.  They meet to talk and support eachother.  I've seen a huge decrease of this type of bullying in my school, thank God.  Gay faculty members host this club, and I think this shoes kids that one can be gay, as well as a normal person.  It's not all leather chaps and rainbows Wink

Glad to hear the bullying has stopped.  These days, im not sure you can really convince homosexuals that homosexuality is wrong.  If thats the case, the only other thing you can do is extend the love of Christ to them and pray that God would have mercy on them, just like we ask God to have mercy on us.  We all need it just the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »

Glad to hear the bullying has stopped.  These days, im not sure you can really convince homosexuals that homosexuality is wrong.  If thats the case, the only other thing you can do is extend the love of Christ to them and pray that God would have mercy on them, just like we ask God to have mercy on us.  We all need it just the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly.  I think that homosexual people have to come to the realization of their sin, which is between them and God, on their own.  Homosexuality is something that I now struggle with very much.  Were it not for the Church and God's mercy, I would probably be a different person as a result of my struggle. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:24:51 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could say there was a decrease in homosexuality as well.  Wink
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could say there was a decrease in homosexuality as well.  Wink

If only.  I seriously wonder if that's possible.  Since it's unlikely so decrease homosexual feelings in people, I would like to see a decrease in the "gay lifestyle" that seems to be imposed by the media.  They don't realize that you can have homosexual feelings, but you don't have to indulge in them.  It's just like when an alcoholic has a drink.  This part is a choice.  There are many homosexuals, both past and present, who've carried their crosses and denied their sinful nature.

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »

If only.  I seriously wonder if that's possible.  Since it's unlikely so decrease homosexual feelings in people, I would like to see a decrease in the "gay lifestyle" that seems to be imposed by the media.  They don't realize that you can have homosexual feelings, but you don't have to indulge in them.  It's just like when an alcoholic has a drink.  This part is a choice.  There are many homosexuals, both past and present, who've carried their crosses and denied their sinful nature.

And they are some of the people that I respect the most.  Their cross is much heavier than any of mine.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »

You should defend his honor as he is made in the image and likeness of God, but you should never defend his behavior.

Exactly.  There is no defense for homosexual activity.  There is also no defense for making fun of them, either.

are you saying that if someone makes fun of a friend who happens to be gay. We shouldn't defend our friend.? The fact that he is a sinner (and who among us isn't). Does not give anyone the right to make fun of anyone else.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

It's a sensitive subject. The reason that they are making fun of him is because he is gay. By standing up for him, you are empowering him to stand up for his homosexuality. I'm not sure how it would be possible to stand up for him without expressing tolerance for his sexual preference. I'm really at a loss here how to best represent your beliefs while still standing up for your friend. Maybe just ignore the mockers and go on with your business?

what if (supposedly speaking), these mockers also try to harm him with a knife. Should I go about my business, just because i may encourage him to stand up for his sins?

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »

It's a sensitive subject. The reason that they are making fun of him is because he is gay. By standing up for him, you are empowering him to stand up for his homosexuality. I'm not sure how it would be possible to stand up for him without expressing tolerance for his sexual preference. I'm really at a loss here how to best represent your beliefs while still standing up for your friend. Maybe just ignore the mockers and go on with your business?
In other words, abandon your friends to the mockers.  Doesn't sound Christian to me.

agree 100%. God bless you.

“God has no religion.”
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »

You should defend his honor as he is made in the image and likeness of God, but you should never defend his behavior.

Exactly.  There is no defense for homosexual activity.  There is also no defense for making fun of them, either.

are you saying that if someone makes fun of a friend who happens to be gay. We shouldn't defend our friend.? The fact that he is a sinner (and who among us isn't). Does not give anyone the right to make fun of anyone else.

Could you at least read the posts you necromancize?
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

I disagree.  Standing by and letting a friend be insulted is not how men regard friendship.  If you cannot stand up for him when he is insulted, then you should not befriend him.  No Christian would mock this man who is under temptation from the devil.  Instead, a Christian would pray for him and ask forgiveness for their own sins.  Those that are mocking the homosexual are no better than him, and likely worse due to the sin of Pride that makes them think that they are somehow better than him and have the right to degrade him.  Giving such people a rebuke is not out of line.  Perhaps by seeing the strength of character in a real Christian, the homosexual's heart will be moved to also find this God that his Christian friend worships. 

In other words, abandon your friends to the mockers.  Doesn't sound Christian to me.

Well I didn't mean abandon him, still befriend him, yes, but don't vocally stand up for him, perhaps? What I am saying is that if you tell someone to stop making fun of a person (no doubt by calling him a homosexual or a variant term), then you are in some way defending the act/behavior, at least in appearance. Do you disagree?

"If you cannot stand up for him when he is insulted, then you should not befriend him." or perhaps he shouldn't befriend you. Since you wouldn't deserve his friendship in this case. (By the way by you I mean anyone)

“God has no religion.”
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »

This thread necromancing is starting to get on my nerves.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

I disagree.  Standing by and letting a friend be insulted is not how men regard friendship.  If you cannot stand up for him when he is insulted, then you should not befriend him.  No Christian would mock this man who is under temptation from the devil.  Instead, a Christian would pray for him and ask forgiveness for their own sins.  Those that are mocking the homosexual are no better than him, and likely worse due to the sin of Pride that makes them think that they are somehow better than him and have the right to degrade him.  Giving such people a rebuke is not out of line.  Perhaps by seeing the strength of character in a real Christian, the homosexual's heart will be moved to also find this God that his Christian friend worships. 

Well I didn't mean abandon him, still befriend him, yes, but don't vocally stand up for him, perhaps? What I am saying is that if you tell someone to stop making fun of a person (no doubt by calling him a homosexual or a variant term), then you are in some way defending the act/behavior, at least in appearance. Do you disagree?

"If you cannot stand up for him when he is insulted, then you should not befriend him." or perhaps he shouldn't befriend you. Since you wouldn't deserve his friendship in this case. (By the way by you I mean anyone)

Are you just trying to tick me off? 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

A metal babble! Kill it quick!

« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »

Meh. I accidentally went to the first page, saw a post by deusveritasest, and thought he was back. No such luck.

That is not the teaching of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »

+1

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

make clear to him that while you are his friend, you do NOT accept his behavior.

Or something else instead. "You are my friend and I love you no matter what. And I will be there for you"
Remember, a good friend is the one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Don't you want to be a good friend?

“God has no religion.”
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »

+1
+2

Although it is sometimes interesting to read these things in light of what we know now.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »

+1
+2

Although it is sometimes interesting to read these things in light of what we know now.
Unfortunately.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »

+1
+2

Unfortunately.
Yes, truly.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

Reading comprehension fail.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

what if (supposedly speaking), these mockers also try to harm him with a knife. Should I go about my business, just because i may encourage him to stand up for his sins?

Combining both your posts

How do you defend him? By justifying homosexuality or simply by a personal defense?

How in the World could you come to think any Orthodox Christian would not defend  ( if they are able) someone being attacked with a knife?   

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »

How about we just empower a guy into thinking he shouldn't be stabbed to death?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »

why do you think that? and even if I did. You also have a choice. Not to allow yourself to  be ticked off. don;t you?

“God has no religion.”
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

Quote from: vamrat

Yes, it looks that way.

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »

How do you defend him? By justifying homosexuality or simply by a personal defense?

How in the World could you come to think any Orthodox Christian would not defend  ( if they are able) someone being attacked with a knife?   

personally I would defend my friend by a personal defense. While, at the same time, I would remind the mockers, that what my buddy does in his bedroom. Is none of their business. And I would also point them to the gospel where jesus whom we claim to worship, says "let he who is without a sin, cast the first stone.". Who is without a sin though? Noone but JESUS. Therefore, People need to let JESUS be the judge. Not their stomachs.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

indeed. People need to be educated about their right to live. Which is given by God.

“God has no religion.”
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

That's not empowerment, that's sentience.  I think you will find most creatures will try to avoid getting stabbed to death.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

why do you think that? and even if I did. You also have a choice. Not to allow yourself to  be ticked off. don;t you?

Because, when I read something stupid I am overcome with sinful passions and the spirit of tick.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »

I sorta dig it.

Cyrillic, want to know a powerful psychological weapon?

Don't reward behavior you don't like.

And this means ignoring it.

If you have previously rewarded said behavioral pattern, the behavior will likely increase in frequency and intensity before it dramatically drops off.

But you must always ignore it, unschedule rewarding is the most powerful of psychological treats.

Use these dumb tactics well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »

Because, when I read something stupid I am overcome with sinful passions and the spirit of tick.

He is the Tick, and he is mighty!  Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »

personally I would defend my friend by a personal defense. While, at the same time, I would remind the mockers, that what my buddy does in his bedroom. Is none of their business. And I would also point them to the gospel where jesus whom we claim to worship, says "let he who is without a sin, cast the first stone.". Who is without a sin though? Noone but JESUS. Therefore, People need to let JESUS be the judge. Not their stomachs.

Perhaps unless that line of thought leads you to "anything goes".." I cant judge, only God does that"... so do whatever you like.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »

I think that is a great idea, especially for those involved in the drug trade and other risky behavior.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

I sorta dig it.

Cyrillic, want to know a powerful psychological weapon?

Don't reward behavior you don't like.

And this means ignoring it.

If you have previously rewarded said behavioral pattern, the behavior will likely increase in frequency and intensity before it dramatically drops off.

But you must always ignore it, unschedule rewarding is the most powerful of psychological treats.

Use these dumb tactics well.

Tell him bro.

“God has no religion.”
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:28 AM »

Who thinks they (themselves) should be stabbed to death? Maybe there are some, but they probably have greater psychological problems than could be addressed briefly even with the best of friendly intentions.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

It is wrong to act violently towards someone because they are sinners. Two wrongs don't make a right. We should teach people to not judge, and to love even their enemies. Of course, we should be careful that we are not understood as if we are defending the sin of homosexuality.  

And, it is hard to tell someone about their sin. Perhaps, let them know what you believe and why you think homosexuality is a sin, but you can't force someone into believing like you. You can only offer Truth, facts, and pray that God will illumine them.

P.S. However, in the case of homosexuality, I wouldn't start with telling them that it is a sin. I'd start by telling them about Christ, The Gospel, and work it gradually from there, if possible. I mean really, our greatest problem is not our individual sins, but our lack of faith, and knowledge of God.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:46:55 AM by IoanC » Logged

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »

It's the beginning of the zombie apocalypse...

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »

Of course, we should be careful that we are not understood as if we are defending the sin of homosexuality.  

If defending homosexuals makes people believe that we are defending homosexuality, it is the fault of the attacker, not the defender.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »

Of course, we should be careful that we are not understood as if we are defending the sin of homosexuality.  

If defending homosexuals makes people believe that we are defending homosexuality, it is the fault of the attacker, not the defender.

Indeed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »

What I meant, though, was that we don't make the mistake of defending the sin and it is clear that we are defending only the person. Otherwise, yes, would not be our fault.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:04:08 AM by IoanC » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2012, 03:05:54 AM »

+3
LewisBosch

Faith: Inquirer, Christian

« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

Conservative Rebel, perhaps being excluded from a normal, accepted role in society and shunned as person would cause someone to whither up into a husk. Perhaps these broken souls, most broken by society and its norms, congregating together - in secret - easily hurt each other if not careful. What is a person to do if they can't tolerate the religious life but are homosexual? People are the results of their environments, experiences, and choices, not choices alone.

I don't have any answers, but I'm not going to presume and generalize one sin is worse than another (with in reason of course.)
adampjr
Karamazov

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »

+4

Is this, like, a thing now?
Marc1152
Toumarches