OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going on here?  (Read 1618 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew22VLOOaE8

I understand it's speeded up but still what are these people doing with their pews and what is this enthusiastic priest doing? (let's ignore the royal doors on rollers)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:13:02 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »

Is outrage! Pews at 0:09!

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »

Ah... er...  Huh

You got me.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

This is from the Pascha Vesperal-Liturgy. It is tradition in the Mediterranean churches to toss bay (or laurel) leaves while "Arise O God and judge the earth..." is sung.

The banging of the pews may be a holdover from when bells were outlawed.

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

Thank you.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »

The Holy Doors are interesting, though.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »

The nearest Greek Church has a door like that. I found it odd - a large icon of Christ that slides back, rather than two swinging panels with icons of the Evangelists (and often the Annunciation).
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:43:08 AM »

I think it is to represent Christ breaking open the tombs.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 02:46:54 AM »

That was awesome

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:50:48 AM »

That was awesome

I sing two troparia in the morning
I sing two troparia at night.

I sing two troparia in the afternoon
It makes me feel alright

I sing two trop's in time of peace,
and two in time of war.

I sing two troparia before I sing two troparia,
And then I sing two more.

Yiayia, she once told me son, 'You be monastic man."
And Babushka, she once told me son, "You weep the best you can."
But then one day, I met a monk, who came to me and said:
"Ascesis good, ascesis fine, but is that salt on your cabbage?"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:51:31 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »

The nearest Greek Church has a door like that. I found it odd - a large icon of Christ that slides back, rather than two swinging panels with icons of the Evangelists (and often the Annunciation).
The Greek Church in my town has the same.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »

Quite a video.

NicholasMyra should have a book of poetry published, such as the one shared here, I would buy a copy.

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 02:53:36 AM »

This is from the Pascha Vesperal-Liturgy. It is tradition in the Mediterranean churches to toss bay (or laurel) leaves while "Arise O God and judge the earth..." is sung.

I missed this one.  But I must thank you, arimethea, for describing it properly as the Pascha Vesperal-Liturgy (despite its often early serving in our day). 
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:23 AM »

The Greek Church in my town has the same.

Most Churches in Greece are like that - sliding icon of Christ and little carved gate-like panels in front.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »

Quite a video.

NicholasMyra should have a book of poetry published, such as the one shared here, I would buy a copy.
I think NicholasMyra would have to get legal consent from the survivng members of Sublime, to have that particular piece published Cheesy

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »

I like how at 0:10 the one yiayia stops the other from merely slapping the pew - 'hey you, get it right, bang that pew'

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »

This is how it goes at my home parish on Holy Saturday morning. 

We have gates that are waist high,  and a sliding panel with an icon of Christ the High Priest.   

Some people do bring bells with them.  We're making enough noise to raise the dead!  My favorite moment of the Church year!

love, elephant
Fotina02

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

My Antiochian parish doesn't bang anything but we toss the bay leaves or flower petals depending on what our priest can find I think. The fragrant petals remain in the sanctuary through Agape services the next day. Many will gather some petals to keep in their purses and homes as blessing.

I like this video of St. George's monastery in Raitho banging sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2i_mDiC24
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »

I can't watch the video right now without being trampled by angry, studying students in the Hall, but if it's what I think it is in some old-school...I want to say Greek? parishes when they sing that Christ has shattered the gates of hell the people bang on everything, the chandeliers are sent spinning, and generally there's a ruckus to represent the noise of the gates of hell being destroyed. I think they do it while they throw bay leaves around. I saw one really crazy video once. I thought it was kinda cool.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

I remember seeing these used in Eastern Rite Catholic churches during Holy Week:  (you have to scroll down to the 3rd photo)
http://blog.seattlepi.com/monasticmoments/2008/03/20/little-bell-big-bell-and-the-clapper/

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

I remember seeing these used in Eastern Rite Catholic churches during Holy Week:  (you have to scroll down to the 3rd photo)
http://blog.seattlepi.com/monasticmoments/2008/03/20/little-bell-big-bell-and-the-clapper/

And it's used also by Roman Catholics a few times during the Holy Week and twice in very similar way as it's done in the link shared by Fotina02 - during the procession ending the Maundy Thursday Liturgy and the procession with the Eucharist to the Christ's grave (very similar to Epitaphios). During the second one here in Poland is even sung a hymn about the shattered the gates of hell. So, I think that the use of this wooden thing (clapper?) can be very old during the Holy Week, because its services and customs are the oldest ones from the whole liturgical tradition.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:59 AM »

It's properly termed a crotalus, from a Greek word for rattle.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »

out church copied loud Paschal celebrations from the byzantine church a few hundred years ago - thanks, greek friends!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhW8Taf1z8

they start by singing Christos anesti (Christ has risen), alithos anesti (truly He has risen) 3 times, and then repeat it in arabic (or whatever language is appropriate).
then the priest and deacon continue (in proclamation and response form) by reading from psalm 23(24) (lift up you heads, o you rulers and be lifted up you everlasting doors, and the King of glory shall enter. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of Hosts, He is the King of glory).
the church is completely dark apart from a few candles at the front, to represent the women coming to the tomb to anoint Jesus' body.
i am sorry about the flash photography, that is not what usually happens! it should be dark and silent (we usually celebrate this saturday night just before midnight).

then all the lights go on and everyone yells and bangs and claps. the procession of subdeacons and clergy goes around the church with the icon of the resurrection singing 'Christ has risen from the dead, through death trampling on death etc.' (exact same words as sung by eastern orthodox church (we do it in greek, then in coptic) and also sung (interestingly) by romanian protestants).
excuse the slightly muted singing, the recording i found was from last year, and our patriarch had recently reposed (may God give him rest and reward)

this occurs about half way through the liturgy; the holy Body and Blood is still under the altar under the covering.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

dont know abt the pews, could have to to as you say instead of the bells BUT gota point out though tha the "skipping" priest is not normal!!!
its usually a dignified walk around the church gently tossing the leaves at ppl. this particular priest needs to chill out with the caffeen!!!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: