OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:00:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theophany and holy water  (Read 511 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: March 16, 2013, 07:05:20 PM »

OK, another one dumb question by me for this section:

If there is an outside water blessing and the reservoir happens to be a sea or an ocean instead of lake, stream or river, is another one container of sweet water blessed or do you take home salty holy water? Do you drink it then?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:05:35 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

In all Theophany services I've been to, there has been a water blessing inside the church (or in the yard outside) and then a procession to the open body of water for a second blessing. No sensible person would drink water from a pond, let alone the sea, blessed or not.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »

No sensible person would drink water from a pond,

You of little faith Wink
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

No sensible person would drink water from a pond,

You of little faith Wink

But much sense. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »

If there is an outside water blessing and the reservoir happens to be a sea or an ocean instead of lake, stream or river, is another one container of sweet water blessed or do you take home salty holy water? Do you drink it then?

Is this the difference between the Lesser blessing (Theophany Eve) and the Greater blessing (Theophany) of water?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »

Is this the difference between the Lesser blessing (Theophany Eve) and the Greater blessing (Theophany) of water?

Bingo, you drink from the first blessing (always inside the church), and you do not drink during the second blessing (either inside or outside the church).

Joseph
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »

A reasonable explanation, but no, actually. The Great Blessing of Waters is a shorter and more festive service done during the time of Theophany (from Theophany through the afterfeast). The Lesser Blessing of Waters is a longer, plainer service conducted to bless water outside of the Theophany season (i.e., the rest of the year).

The service inside the Church and outside at a body of water should be the same service.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:59:50 PM »

Bingo, you drink from the first blessing (always inside the church), and you do not drink during the second blessing (either inside or outside the church).

Thank you, Father.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »

Thank you, Father.

He is not a father, or Father.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

Thank you, Father.

He is not a father, or Father.

Thanks for that information. I always thought he was a priest.

Is there anywhere on this site where we can find out if a person is a priest, so that we can address them properly and not incur a violation?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »

Is there anywhere on this site where we can find out if a person is a priest, so that we can address them properly and not incur a violation?

If you address them with a nickname, no rule violation will occur.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

Now strange. So, if the Pope were to join this forum, and I am not holding my breath, then we could call him by his username even if it were Bergoglio-Francis?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:50:47 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

Now strange. So, if the Pope were to join this forum, and I am not holding my breath, then we could call him by his username even if it were Bergoglino-Francis?

If you were addressing him directly - it would be OK. If you were discussing about him, as a VIP (discussing some news for example), you should address him with a proper title.

Don't you have some real-life questions?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

BACK ON TOPIC  Roll Eyes

In many parishes, the priest will bless the waters on Theophany using the lesser blessing (blessing a large glass "punch" bowl or a tank filled with water) instead of the greater blessing (blessing a river, lake, canal, or ocean). And people drink that water. Thus, I never really knew the difference between the lesser and greater blessings that occur during the pre-feast and the actual feast of Theophany.

I guess this would be considered an example of "economia."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:56:10 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »

BACK ON TOPIC  Roll Eyes

In many parishes, the priest will bless the waters on Theophany using the lesser blessing (blessing a large glass "punch" bowl or a tank filled with water) instead of the greater blessing (blessing a river, lake, canal, or ocean). And people drink that water. Thus, I never really knew the difference between the lesser and greater blessings that occur during the pre-feast and the actual feast of Theophany.

I guess this would be considered an example of "economia."

There are at least four different and distinct blessing of waters.
1. Theophany Eve
2 Theophany Day
3. Outdoor Blessing of Water
4. Blessing of Water on the start of the month (sometimes called lesser blessing)
5. Baptism

1 and 2 are almost identical, the only difference is that 2 has an allowance for the prayer to be shortened.
3 follows the same structure as 1 and 2 but is abbreviated, and there is an addition of a prayer that is said over the person who retrieves the cross.
4 is a unique service unto it self that is hardly ever done in a parish setting
And of course 5 occurs during the baptism ceremony and is unique to that service.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: