OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:18:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only priest can cast out the demons in the name of Jesus?  (Read 909 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »

As I come from charismatic church,in Charistmatic church ,it teaches that all Christians can cast out the demons in Jesus' name.But in Orthodoxy , only priest can do so.

Why only the priests can do the exorcism, but the other followers of Jesus can't? Did the church fathers only permit the priests to do the exorcism as well?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:30:00 PM by walter1234 » Logged
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »

The Charismatic movement is rather new in terms of historical Christianity, and so I can't speak to its orders and organization.

The first 'exorcists' we see in the New Testament were the Apostles, and afterwards there were designated 'exorcists' who served under the supervision of the Bishop.  Most of these Apstolic offices, such as 'teachers' and 'catechists' were merged into the Priesthood within the first few centuries.  After all, the 'elders' or 'presbyters' are today's 'priests'.  An 'elder' would likely be an exorcist, rather than a neophyte.

Christians have the right to banish demons from their property and forbid them to enter their bodies.  But, when it comes to propagating a 'ministry' and presume to treat others... now you are talking about an activity which should and is supervised by the presiding Bishop.  Otherwise, an independently-operated 'deliverance ministry' can become abusive or try to treat mental problems that really need medication.

While I am not denying that there are some examples of genuine exorcism outside the Church, there are also plenty of examples where people blame their own failings or even mental illness on demons.  This is what the Church seeks to remedy the possibilities of abuse by guaranteeing that exorcists are trained clergy who are answerable to authority.

As I come from charismatic church,in Charistmatic church ,it teaches that all believers can cast out the demons in Jesus' name.But in Orthodoxy , only priest can do so.

Why only the priests can do the exorcism, but all other followers of Jesus can't? Did the church fathers only permit the priests to do the exorcism as well?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »

Mark 9:38-41

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

"Yea, so much power hath faith, that not the believer only is saved, but some have been saved by others believing.  The paralytic in Capernaum was not a believer, but they believed who brought him, and let him down through the tiles"

St. Cyril of Jerusalem
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Acts 19
13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

Acts 19
13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.

In context, what do both of those verses mean? What did Jesus mean?

Just asking, I've always wondered

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »

Acts 19

I believe the first one says that there are other groups who has the grace of God to exorcise demons in His Name.  Such as the case that we have exorsists today in the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church.  The second one reminds us though that not anyone can just invoke the Name of Christ and carry out His ministry.  It is clear in Acts that those who try to exorcise were not Christians.  So there is a boundary to this, and not anyone can just do whatever they want and claim legitimacy.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »

The Church has never had a 'everybody' approach to Sacraments.  Exorcism is a Sacrament: there is an invocation of God into a situation and a request for His specific intervention.

Not everyone offers the Gifts.
Not everyone teaches.
Not everyone preaches.

The Church has placed responsibility for these ministries under the bishops to prevent abuse and ensure that the people of God receive true blessings and not false signs.

Acts 19

I believe the first one says that there are other groups who has the grace of God to exorcise demons in His Name.  Such as the case that we have exorsists today in the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church.  The second one reminds us though that not anyone can just invoke the Name of Christ and carry out His ministry.  It is clear in Acts that those who try to exorcise were not Christians.  So there is a boundary to this, and not anyone can just do whatever they want and claim legitimacy.

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »

I wouldn't say one should take horror movies as the literal truth, but I bet exorcisms are very dangerous, and I wouldn't try to do them - if I thought someone needed one, I would call a priest.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »

The Church has never had a 'everybody' approach to Sacraments.  Exorcism is a Sacrament: there is an invocation of God into a situation and a request for His specific intervention.

Not everyone offers the Gifts.
Not everyone teaches.
Not everyone preaches.

The Church has placed responsibility for these ministries under the bishops to prevent abuse and ensure that the people of God receive true blessings and not false signs.

Acts 19

It was nice to see on Discovery Channel's "Exorcist Files" an Orthodox priest - albeit for just a few minutes.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »

I've witnessed an Orthodox  exorcism ritual... It's not something  for amateurs.

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:28:55 AM »

As I come from charismatic church,in Charistmatic church ,it teaches that all Christians can cast out the demons in Jesus' name.But in Orthodoxy , only priest can do so.

Why only the priests can do the exorcism, but the other followers of Jesus can't? Did the church fathers only permit the priests to do the exorcism as well?

Just go to Pochaiv.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 03:59:51 AM »

I've witnessed an Orthodox  exorcism ritual... It's not something  for amateurs.
Haven't all Orthodox?

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »

I'm guessing you're talking about an actual exorcism of a demon-possessed person, rather than the exorcisms performed at a Baptism. Am I right?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »

I'm guessing you're talking about an actual exorcism of a demon-possessed person, rather than the exorcisms performed at a Baptism. Am I right?

Correct.... Scary stuff

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

Charismatic Church also like to turn every bad thing as Evil Spirit , like spirit of hate, spirit of unfaithful, spirit of promiscuous,spirit of poverty,  spirit of greedy, spirit of anger, spirit of depression ,spirit of religion ,spirit of confusion,spirit of dirt,etc.

I often heard the workers and pastors to cast out these (evil) spirits in Jesus' name when I was in Charismatic Church.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:42:49 PM by walter1234 » Logged
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

We use a similar language, but when we speak of "Spirit of _______" it is not that this spirit brings that affliction, but rather it tempts us to accept such a condition.  This is a critical difference: many people who use this language about spirits assume that the spirit magically casts a spell on the person which automatically puts the person in their condition and that they are innocently afflicted.

The first step in Orthodox Christian exorcism is the willingness to say 'no' to the devils and their messages.  The next step is Confession of one's sins while being tempted by the demons' messages.  Then comes the actual exorcism.

Unless you are willing to take responsibility for your sins, no exorcism can be effective.  Why? Because the demons will continue to get you to say 'yes' and that's the real problem.

Most exorcisms are, in fact, dull.  They are not dramatic, and almost rote, but one must be careful in these situations not to become frustrated or bored so as to lose one's mindfulness that something very evil and very powerful is lying underneith the blanket of 'plausible deniability.'

Of course, it requires a lot of testing.  I was called in on a situation.  The woman was very convinced that she was being terrorized by a demon.  Every test I ran failed, and I was convinced that she was having mental issues (big hint: she refused to go see a doctor and get a medical clearance, which a priest ought to insist on if there is a suspected possession).  So, I said, "I have one last test for you."

Very dramatically, I put my hand on her head and said, "I will now pray the secret prayer!"  Then, silently, I began to recite 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.'  She writhed like a snake and told me to stop, how the demon was being tormented by the prayer.

Then I said a real prayer for her healing, and stepped outside to tell the family that she needed psychiatric help, not mine.

Charismatic Church also like to turn every bad thing as Evil Spirit , like spirit of hate, spirit of unfaithful, spirit of promiscuous,spirit of poverty,  spirit of greedy, spirit of anger, spirit of depression ,spirit of religion ,spirit of confusion,spirit of dirt,etc.

I often heard the workers and pastors to cast out these (evil) spirits in Jesus' name when I was in Charismatic Church.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: