OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 02:42:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Athanasius "On the Incarnation"  (Read 623 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 07, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »

Anyone ever read it? Im about to read a bit of it and just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Im also looking for some other similar writings from Saints and whatnot that may be available for cheap on the Kindle if anyone has a recommendation.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »

Anyone ever read it? Im about to read a bit of it and just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Im also looking for some other similar writings from Saints and whatnot that may be available for cheap on the Kindle if anyone has a recommendation.
A Classic.

I don't know if the Popular Patristics are all on Kindle, but if they are "On the Holy Spirit" by St. Basil, "On the Unity of Christ" by Pope St. Cyril (not really an easy read, it meanders and repeats a lot, but an important summary of the topic), and "On the Holy Icons" by St. John of Damascus.

Also I think the Penguin "Early Christian Writings" is on Kindle.  Well worth the read, if just for St. Ignatius.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

great! thanks! ill look for all of those.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »

Here it is online:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/ath-inc.htm

It's helped atheists reconsider some things about Christian theology, since I had recommended it to a few in the past. But anyway, believe the hype, it's really that good. It's essential if you want to go deeper in Orthodox theology.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »

Awesome.  On the Incarnation is only a buck on the kindle.  The rest are a little more, so Ill pick one for now and try to get more over time. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »

Just a heads up, but be careful on certain editions you download on Kindle. I've come across plenty of works that I would like to read but are just terrible editions according to those that review them. How you can tell is if under the review it says:

"This review is from: On The Incarnation (Kindle Edition) "

And then they will explain why they gave their rating as such. I've avoided the whole Kindle thing because the paperback editions, as of right now, are superior than what's available as an e-book.

Amazon.com jumbles together Kindle and Paperback reviews.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:07:50 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! I actually bought this one a few days ago on impulse bc it was so cheap.  Otherwise, Id probably just read it online for free.  It seems that the one I bought looks good. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

it is a great help for understanding all Christian theology.
one of the great and important booklets we should all read.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: