OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beaurocracy gone mad  (Read 570 times) Average Rating: 0
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« on: January 06, 2004, 04:41:51 AM »

Have a look at this - it really shook me . Of  what are these fruit and nut cases thinking  ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/01/06/nwood06.xml

Council approval needed to meditate
By David Sapsted
   (Filed: 06/01/2004)

A Buddhist has been told that he needs planning permission before he can meditate in woodland he owns.

Edward James, 51, from Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, bought the half-acre wood overlooking the Crouch estuary near Hockley so that he and a few friends could sit cross-legged and meditate among the trees for about half an hour at a time. However, an objection was lodged with the council.

The Essex Wildlife Trust objected because it feared trees were being damaged, including the removal of "old and long-established ivy". A local resident expressed concern because several vehicles were turning up at the site with would-be meditators.

"The whole thing has got ridiculously out of hand," said Mr James, who retired recently after a career working backstage in theatres.

"I was told I would need planning permission because it was a change of use from woodland to meditational woodland. I had to fill in the same forms that you would need to build a skyscraper."

His application for a change of use will be considered by Rochford district council planning committee tonight. Council officers have recommended that it be approved.

"Our only conditions are that no more than one vehicle be allowed in between sunset and sunrise and that there be a limit on the number of people who use the site so that residents will not be disturbed," a spokesman said.

Mr James said that, apart from the district council, Essex county council, English Nature and the Essex Wildlife Trust all had to be consulted over his application.

With apologies - someone is going to have to fix that URL for me Bobby ? Prodromos ??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 08:50:15 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

I bet tweety has something to say about this!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »

I bet tweety has something to say about this!
Where is Sylvester?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

2/3 of this thread is absolute win so far.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: