OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:43:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone ever heard of this Orthodox author, CJS Hayward?  (Read 2195 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »

I read a collection of his works, "The Best of Jonathan's Corner" on the Kindle, and enjoyed it. Lots of interesting things about Orthodoxy.

So I decided to read another book that was available through the Kindle Owners Lending Library. The description made it sound really good, long and meaty and interesting.

Here's the review I posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Refutatio-Haeresium-Collected-Hayward-ebook/product-reviews/B007O85VPK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

He hasn't stopped emailing me since (basically telling me how much smarter he is than me, and it's a Buddhist thing, plus he's poor and really needs the money, etc. etc.).

He's kind of bugging me. Anyone familiar with him?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

Christos Jonathan Seth Hayward wears many hats as a person: author, philosopher, theologian, artist, poet, wayfarer, philologist, inventor, web guru, teacher.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »

Is he really a Buddhist? What type?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »

Christos Jonathan Seth Hayward was contemplating the "big questions" of philosophy and theology before he could even speak. And you have the nerve to ask what kind of Buddhist?
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:43 AM »

Before I make any more comments, perhaps I should ask if he is a member of this Forum, or a friend of anyone who is. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »

Christos Jonathan Seth Hayward was contemplating the "big questions" of philosophy and theology before he could even speak. And you have the nerve to ask what kind of Buddhist?
Can someone really get the name "Christos" when converting to Orthodoxy?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »

I found his email on his website so I wrote to him about my complaint before I posted the review (remember, my complaint was I paid $2.99 for a book which turned out to consist of ONE WORD  Angry).

His response:

"It is said that when Buddha was asked one last question, he picked a flower. All but one of his disciples listened, waiting for an explanation. The one disciple smiled, and Buddha smiled back.

On this point Buddhism has something in common with the silence of Orthodoxy."

To which I replied, "Yes, but did Buddha charge his disciples $2.99 per smile?"

To which he replied:

"I do not, like Buddha, demand the full surrender of possessions in extinguishing desire. You have a lesson before you. Whether or not it will be learned is your call, not mine."

There was another response later, but I'll save it for the coup de grace.  Grin

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »

I found his email on his website so I wrote to him about my complaint before I posted the review (remember, my complaint was I paid $2.99 for a book which turned out to consist of ONE WORD  Angry).

His response:

"It is said that when Buddha was asked one last question, he picked a flower. All but one of his disciples listened, waiting for an explanation. The one disciple smiled, and Buddha smiled back.

On this point Buddhism has something in common with the silence of Orthodoxy."

To which I replied, "Yes, but did Buddha charge his disciples $2.99 per smile?"

To which he replied:

"I do not, like Buddha, demand the full surrender of possessions in extinguishing desire. You have a lesson before you. Whether or not it will be learned is your call, not mine."

There was another response later, but I'll save it for the coup de grace.  Grin
Nice.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:17:59 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »

I'd recommend reporting it to Amazon - there's an option further down the page to do so.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

Already did, Nephi, and they are going to allow me to check out a 2nd book this month. :-)

So can I safely assume then that this gentleman is not, after all, a highly respected and well-known Orthodox apologist?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »

Already did, Nephi, and they are going to allow me to check out a 2nd book this month. :-)

So can I safely assume then that this gentleman is not, after all, a highly respected and well-known Orthodox apologist?
After reading his amazon books, I would suspect not.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »

This guy is a living saint. You should address him as "Elder."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »

Well, since he also emailed me a photo of his bedroom, to prove his poverty,  I guess I should venerate it as a holy relic.

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »

Well, since he also emailed me a photo of his bedroom, to prove his poverty,  I guess I should venerate it as a holy relic.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Yes, they can, and the name is common among cradles as well. Christ is Χριστός, the similar-sounding, but not identical Greek man's name is Χρήστος. Note the difference in spelling and position of the accent mark. The two words therefore sound different, and cannot be confused. The meanings are also distinct: Χριστός means anointed one; Χρήστος is derived from a word meaning good, virtuous. The root word can be found in Psalm 33:

γεύσασθε καὶ ἴδετε ὅτι χρηστὸς ὁ Κύριος· μακάριος ἀνήρ, ὃς ἐλπίζει ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν. (v.9)

O taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who hopes in Him.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

Yes, they can, and the name is common among cradles as well. Christ is Χριστός, the similar-sounding, but not identical Greek man's name is Χρήστος. Note the difference in spelling and position of the accent mark. The two words therefore sound different, and cannot be confused.

It's the same with other names. The common name Στάυρος, for example, is distinct from the word Σταυρός, which refers only to the Holy Cross.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

This sounds really strange.  I would stay away.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

are you serious?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:38 PM »

Yes, they can, and the name is common among cradles as well. Christ is Χριστός, the similar-sounding, but not identical Greek man's name is Χρήστος. Note the difference in spelling and position of the accent mark. The two words therefore sound different, and cannot be confused. The meanings are also distinct: Χριστός means anointed one; Χρήστος is derived from a word meaning good, virtuous. The root word can be found in Psalm 33:

γεύσασθε καὶ ἴδετε ὅτι χρηστὸς ὁ Κύριος· μακάριος ἀνήρ, ὃς ἐλπίζει ἐπ᾿ αὐτόν. (v.9)

sometimes the name is spelled like christ. "xristos"

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

are you serious?
No.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

sometimes the name is spelled like christ. "xristos"

It shouldn't be. They are two separate words, with different spellings and accents.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »

In other words, the Jewish author of Psalms is saying that "the Lord is Christ".

Now, I know the Psalmic author is not *really* saying that, but has this Psalm been used to defend the messiahship of Jesus, as a sort of prophetic Psalm?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

In other words, the Jewish author of Psalms is saying that "the Lord is Christ".

No, because the word used in the Psalm is spelled differently and has a different meaning.
CharalambisMakarios

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Considering Orthodoxy

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »

Also the Hebrew word would be different than the Greek word, and probably has no relation to Hebrew Mashiach

I like some of CJS Hayward's work. It's a shame that he seems to be rather spiteful in person, but I don't think that it lessens the value of his work necessarily. Sorry you had to deal with that, though.
Nicene
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 04:09:17 AM »

$5 or so New Zealand dollars (3$.70 US) for a book that is only 22 pages and digital... Seems totally worth it.

Thank you.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »

I found his email on his website so I wrote to him about my complaint before I posted the review (remember, my complaint was I paid $2.99 for a book which turned out to consist of ONE WORD  Angry).

That book has 5 reviews - all of them terrible and none above a single star.  None indicated that there was only one word in the book, though.  From the the reviews, perhaps you should be thankful to have lost only $2.99.  You could have wasted $2.99 plus the time it would have taken to read through all of his nonsense. Wink 
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »

I googled this guy, Whoo boy!  He is a legend in his own mind. lol

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »

Christos Jonathan Seth Hayward wears many hats as a person: author, philosopher, theologian, artist, poet, wayfarer, philologist, inventor, web guru, teacher.

Some have asked, "If a (much lesser) C.S. Lewis were Orthodox, what would he be like?" And the answer may well be, "C.J.S. Hayward."

Hayward has lived in the U.S., Malaysia, England, and France, and holds master's degrees bridging math and computers (UIUC), and philosophy and theology (Cambridge).
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »

Some have asked, "If a (much lesser) C.S. Lewis were Orthodox, what would he be like?" And the answer may well be, "C.J.S. Hayward."

I have the disturbing impression that the "some" who have asked this question and the one giving the answer are one and the same CJS Hayward.  I hope I'm wrong. 
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

Hayward has lived in the U.S., Malaysia, England, and France, and holds master's degrees bridging math and computers (UIUC), and philosophy and theology (Cambridge).
The best part is that that statement comes from his own "award winning" website that he maintains.  laugh

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »

The best part is that that statement comes from his own "award winning" website that he maintains.  laugh

As it turns out, Mr. Hayward's venerable appearance has been displayed on this site before as a member of the fictional prayer rope militia that was to descend upon PtA's parish to confront his priest who banned prayer ropes from liturgical services:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53784.msg980783.html#msg980783
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

WOW!!! That whole page is so full of win, I don't even know what to say!  Tongue

http://jonathanscorner.com/pictures/

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »

WOW!!! That whole page is so full of win, I don't even know what to say!  Tongue

http://jonathanscorner.com/pictures/

Someone once asked "If C.S. Lewis used a prayer rope, what would that look like?"  They are still asking.   Wink
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »

If only I knew how to photoshop a neon pink prayer rope onto a picture of CS Lewis, this thread would be complete.  I assign that task to Justin/*

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »

If only I knew how to photoshop a neon pink prayer rope onto a picture of CS Lewis, this thread would be complete.  I assign that task to Justin/*

ZealousZeal is the Queen of 'Shop around here.  Grin
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »

Yeah, especially with pink items. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »

Yeah, especially with pink items. 

ESPECIALLY with pink items!  laugh laugh laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: