Author Topic: Moscow on the Seine: The Controversy Over Russian Cathedral Plans in Paris  (Read 13090 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Moscow on the Seine: The Controversy Over Russian Cathedral Plans in Paris
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
Brief video showing the interior and a service

Russia Unveils Cultural, Orthodox Jewel On The Seine (2016)

A massive Russian "spiritual and cultural center," crowned by a golden-domed Orthodox cathedral, is opening its gates in downtown Paris, thrusting Russian religious and political outreach to the fore in one of Europe's most prestigious and influential capitals...

The 4,800-square-meter complex includes four distinct entities: Holy Trinity Cathedral, capped with five gilded domes and its highest cross reaching 35 meters into the sky; a parish center comprising an auditorium and foyer, offices, and apartments; a French-Russian primary school for 150 pupils; and a cultural center, including a book shop, exhibitions spaces, and a coffee shop...

The cost of the construction work, by French company Bouygues, has been estimated at around 100 million euros ($110 million)...

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
It looks rather grim from the outside at the moment. And the automatic doors would really throw me off.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
Wow, they finally finished it.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Ray1

• May Justice Prevail.
  • Faith: Atheist
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
I don't understand why some people are making a big deal of it. Paris has large Roman Catholic Cathedrals but Atheism and strong secularism remain as strong as ever in France. The States had for decades large Eastern Orthodox Cathedrals, nonetheless, Eastern Orthodox remain 1%, less than Muslims and Jews. A small Russian Orthodox Cathedral is not going to change that one bit in the land of the Radical Enlightenment.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
It looks rather grim from the outside at the moment. And the automatic doors would really throw me off.

Its all a bit Westin or Hyatt Regency isn't it?  :P

I wonder if they play Chill and Deep House music in the lobby narthex,in the manner of many 4 star business hotels (whatever happened to elegant soft jazz, classical or even elevator music?)

Still, I am thrilled to see a new Orthodox cathedral getting some nice PR.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:29:01 PM by Alpha60 »
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline peacenprayer

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
Why is the cathedral dressed like Marilyn Monroe standing over a street vent?
"...I'm just a simple dude."
~Finn the Human

Online LivenotoneviL

• An Indecisive Sinner
  • High Elder
  • 404 - Quote not found
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Not a Catechumen
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
I don't understand why some people are making a big deal of it. Paris has large Roman Catholic Cathedrals but Atheism and strong secularism remain as strong as ever in France. The States had for decades large Eastern Orthodox Cathedrals, nonetheless, Eastern Orthodox remain 1%, less than Muslims and Jews. A small Russian Orthodox Cathedral is not going to change that one bit in the land of the Radical Enlightenment.

But obviously, the communist Russians are going to use it to infiltrate the Paris population to rig elections, kill political dissidents, and place sleeper agents within French life?
"Our wickedness shall not overpower the unspeakable goodness and mercy of God; our dullness shall not overpower God's wisdom, nor our infirmity God's omnipotence."
-Saint John of Kronstadt

Keep shining, star!