OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 12:05:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Again and Again in Peace Shuts Down due to harassment by so-called "Orthodox"  (Read 1872 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »

The popular Orthodox Facebook group and Blog "Again and Again in Peace" has erased its articles and shut down abruptly after the creator was harassed severely by an "Orthodox" woman and her husband (both of whom are apparently very recent converts), who went so far as to contact the user's spiritual father and slander/accuse the user of representing Satan and being of demonic influence rather than of Orthodox faith.

https://www.facebook.com/sacredsilencium
http://againandagaininpeace.com/about/

Too bad we don't know those disgusting people's names, otherwise we all could send them the same favor and contact their spiritual father of their disgusting, un-Orthodox behavior.

Such a wonderful website with a good message is ruined because of a couple of sick, disgusting people, too bad they remain anonymous and therefore immune to ecclesiastical punishment.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:28:58 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:40 PM »

The popular Orthodox Facebook group and Blog "Again and Again in Peace" has erased its articles and shut down abruptly after the creator was harassed severely by an "Orthodox" woman and her husband (both of whom are apparently very recent converts), who went so far as to contact the user's spiritual father and slander/accuse the user of representing Satan and being of demonic influence rather than of Orthodox faith.

Too bad we don't know those disgusting people's names, otherwise we all could send them the same favor and contact their spiritual father of their disgusting, un-Orthodox behavior.

Such a wonderful website with a good message is ruined because of a couple of sick, disgusting people, too bad they remain anonymous and therefore immune to ecclesiastical punishment.

Too bad that the owner of the site did not know how to screen out certain accounts.  And what was their "spiritual father's" take on their site?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »

Too bad that the owner of the site did not know how to screen out certain accounts.  And what was their "spiritual father's" take on their site?

No clue, the owner just informed people of what transpired and that he was shutting it down.

Those two people deserve a firm slap across the face and told to apologize, or submit to discipline or simply to get out.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:13:01 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

Too bad that the owner of the site did not know how to screen out certain accounts.  And what was their "spiritual father's" take on their site?

They probably don't have one, still on the lookout for a 'holy elder' worthy of their obedience.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

Too bad that the owner of the site did not know how to screen out certain accounts.  And what was their "spiritual father's" take on their site?

No clue, the owner just informed people of what transpired and that he was shutting it down.

Those two people deserve a firm slap across the face and told to apologize, or submit to discipline or simply to get out.

It angers me when things like this happen.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »

Until we know what their spiritual father said to them (if anything) it's probably not worth getting in too big a tizzy over.  People tattling to the priest is pretty lame but if they are just throwing a temper tantrum and closing the site (with a backup blog) and waiting til the sympathy messages come rolling in, then it is lameness matched with lameness.  It is our job as Christians to heal the lame.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:54:05 PM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »

Until we know what their spiritual father said to them (if anything) it's probably not worth getting in too big a tizzy over.  People tattling to the priest is pretty lame but if they are just throwing a temper tantrum and closing the site (with a backup blog) and waiting til the sympathy messages come rolling in, then it is lameness matched with lameness.  It is our job as Christians to heal the lame.

vamrat, I don't think you understand what happened.

Two new converts, a husband and wife, have been harassing the guy who runs the blog and the Facebook page. They've accused him and his articles of not being Orthodox and supporting Satan or being of Satanic influence. Since the guy who runs the site had his name public on that website, they found out who his spiritual father was, and the couple contacted his spiritual father, telling his spiritual father that his website was posting things against the Orthodox faith and of Satanic influence.
After they crossed that line, the guy who ran the site decided to shut it down.

These two worthless people did something absolutely disgusting and not Orthodox. They are the very definition of hyperdox and heterodox and should be punished.

It isn't tattling if the guy didn't ever do anything wrong. They simply lied, slandered and accused him of something he wasn't guilty of, and they should be punished.

If these two people are going to act like this, then they should either submit to discipline by the Church and to its judgement and wisdom, or get out of the Church.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:34:26 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »

hyperheterodox

Not meaning to sound like a pharisee here, but I am glad I took my time to learn about Orthodoxy and really understand the Orthodoxy way of life so I won't have misconceptions coming in and start blaming those who doesn't fit that misconception of being against or outside the faith.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »

hyperheterodox

Not meaning to sound like a pharisee here, but I am glad I took my time to learn about Orthodoxy and really understand the Orthodoxy way of life so I won't have misconceptions coming in and start blaming those who doesn't fit that misconception of being against or outside the faith.

It's only been 3 years for me, but I inquired for 3 years prior to my baptism and I tried, even in the first year, to shut my mouth when it came to talking to other Orthodox about Orthodoxy and tried not to judge what they said. Maybe I should have waited longer, but it irritates me when people come in, and think once they're baptized, that makes them an automatic authority on all things Orthodox.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »

Does anyone know the owners' names?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »

Does anyone know the owners' names?

I can't remember, I saw earlier today and it was a Greek name, but I dunno what it was, he's even altered the About portion of the Facebook page.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

Two new converts, a husband and wife, have been harassing the guy who runs the blog and the Facebook page. They've accused him and his articles of not being Orthodox and supporting Satan or being of Satanic influence. Since the guy who runs the site had his name public on that website, they found out who his spiritual father was, and the couple contacted his spiritual father, telling his spiritual father that his website was posting things against the Orthodox faith and of Satanic influence.

These two worthless people did something absolutely disgusting and not Orthodox. They are the very definition of hyperdox and heterodox and should be punished.

It isn't tattling if the guy didn't ever do anything wrong. They simply lied, slandered and accused him of something he wasn't guilty of, and they should be punished.

If these two people are going to act like this, then they should either submit to discipline by the Church and to its judgement and wisdom, or get out of the Church.

No, I don't know what happened, and you have left out the details that interest me the most.  OK, these busybodies contacted his priest.  That's what busybodies do, and I think that it should be perfectly legal to whack busybodies in the knees with a Louisville Slugger.  

Now that we're beyond that, what specifically did their priest say when he looked at their page?  Did he condemn them?  If so, what for?  If not, then why did they take it down?

Perhaps before excommunicating these busybodies and roasting them on a pyre for Witchcraft, Sodomie, and the vyle slander against God and thine Facebooke Page, we should know what the priest said to them and what they were posting.  I think these are the two most important pieces of information and they have been left out.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

and yes, I know my statements aren't very Christian. It makes me so angry, and I've known many people, even when I was a Protestant, who almost lived their lives to cause choas, hardship and trouble within the "church" (whichever church it is).

We live in a different day and age than people of the past, and I'm hoping that we have the ability to fight slanderers and either lead to their repentance or their expulsion.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »

@Vamrat: Didn't you  know about their page? It was fairly popular.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

No, I don't know what happened, and you have left out the details that interest me the most.  OK, these busybodies contacted his priest.  That's what busybodies do, and I think that it should be perfectly legal to whack busybodies in the knees with a Louisville Slugger.  

Now that we're beyond that, what specifically did their priest say when he looked at their page?  Did he condemn them?  If so, what for?  If not, then why did they take it down?

Perhaps before excommunicating these busybodies and roasting them on a pyre for Witchcraft, Sodomie, and the vyle slander against God and thine Facebooke Page, we should know what the priest said to them and what they were posting.  I think these are the two most important pieces of information and they have been left out.

They never posted anything remotely controversial. It was very nice things having to do with Saints, or Saints for the day, feast days and many other things like that. They had some other things on there as well, but nothing any real Orthodox Christian would consider wrong.

I also may be combining/confusing them with Mystagogy since both would show up on FB and I wouldn't pay attention to which posted what article.

One of their recent articles was talking about how we shouldn't get upset when people say "Happy Holidays" because in Old English, Holidays comes from Holy Day or some derivative of it and it is actually still related to Christianity, and we should be happy when people wish us Happy Holidays.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:59:29 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

No, typically when I am on facebook I am trying to sift through pages and pages and pages of women hitting the share button so many times that I have to sift through these just to find the few intelligent conversations going on.  By the time I do this I have no time whatsoever to go looking for new sites.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »

They never posted anything remotely controversial. It was very nice things having to do with Saints, or Saints for the day, feast days and many other things like that. They had some other things on there as well, but nothing any real Orthodox Christian would consider wrong.

I also may be combining/confusing them with Mystagogy since both would show up on FB and I wouldn't pay attention to which posted what article.

Ok, they did nothing wrong.  What did their spiritual father say when he was contacted?

I just don't know why they shut it down.  If the busybodies were making threats then they should have called the police to have it dealt with.  If they were harassing but not doing anything destructive they should have just trolled the heck out of them until they buggered off.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

No, typically when I am on facebook I am trying to sift through pages and pages and pages of women hitting the share button so many times that I have to sift through these just to find the few intelligent conversations going on.  By the time I do this I have no time whatsoever to go looking for new sites.

You can ignore them you know, lol... I have some of my female friends (and some male friends) updates ignored since they are always posting stupid stuff or sharing dumb stuff.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:01:17 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

We've found out that Again and Again website and corresponding facebook page were closed due to harassment targetted against the site owners.

We would like to express our gratitude for the great job to people who created it and were brightening our daily life with inspiring Orthodox content.

We hope you will overcome unfair injustice directed against you due to jealousy and decide to reopen your website (of course we do not force you to  anything).

https://www.facebook.com/events/135194383300648/
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »

How very sad and vile.  I wish the owner of the site would not have succumbed to people of this ilk.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:20:06 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

Ok, they did nothing wrong.  What did their spiritual father say when he was contacted?

I just don't know why they shut it down.  If the busybodies were making threats then they should have called the police to have it dealt with.  If they were harassing but not doing anything destructive they should have just trolled the heck out of them until they buggered off.

I'm here if they need someone to troll for them Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »

Pardon me if somebody already said this, but did they file a report with the Facebook staff? If they allowed the Again and Again page to go up in the first place, and someone else messed with it, they should allow it to reopen.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

I know clergy who have been hounded off Twitter and Facebook for similar reasons. They hadn't posted anything controversial, but simply didn't want their bishop to receive constant complaints about heresy, scandal and disdain for the canons from overzealous converts.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »

I've experienced several attempts of using real or imaginary ecclesiastical authority to strike some netodox initiatives (heard about more). I understand why they might have surrendered but that situation really pissed me off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:55:40 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »

I am here to fight for righteousness.  I will be a Troll for Christ  Wink
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »

@choy: You didn't!

Doing good always puts you in someone's crosshairs. It's a calculated risk. It is a trade-off, and the Lord said, "Trade till I come."
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »

Here you can PM them: https://www.facebook.com/messages/sacredsilencium
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

Concerning the closure of Again and Again in Peace
http://againandagaininpeace.com/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 12:35:31 AM »

It's only a matter of time until the couple joins this forum and becomes just part of its rich tapestry.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Clare G.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:37:16 AM »

Concerning the closure of Again and Again in Peace
http://againandagaininpeace.com/

Thank you for posting that, Michał. Very thought-provoking. It challenges me to stop wasting time here and other such places online, make myself a pot of Earl Grey and re-read some of the musty books on my shelves.

I got rid of my television set and DVD player years ago. If I didn't need the internet for the translation work I do online I might be switching that off too.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: