OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical practices in your parishes during Nativity Fast  (Read 729 times) Average Rating: 0
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »

Are there any specials? Or maybe usual services (e.g Vespers) are more frequent? I wonder also how is it in OO Churches

As for EO, know that there is a Greek tradition of forty Liturgies, an Advent Paraklesis in the Antiochian Church, and that in some parishes during the week it's sung “alleluia” instead of “God is the Lord” (in the same way as it's done in Great Lent). I wonder if any of these services/liturgical changes are common?

As for OO, I know of course about Kiahk in Coptic church (Kiahk praises). And I know that in Syriac Orthodox Church each Sunday of Advent has special name and hymns.

I can say that in Polish Orthodox Church there is only one thing special: “goveniya” (or “rekolekcje”) – 2 or 3 days of spiritual teachings given by one priest (can be from the parish, but also a guest) plus confessions done during the All-Night Vigil plus penance and before Eucharist prayers that on the last day of “rekolekcje” most of people go to the Holy Communion.
If I'm not mistaken, something like that exists also among Ukrainians (I know at least Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church does it)?

And of course, since the feast of the Entrance of the Theotokos, katabasias of the Nativity Canon are chanted constantly

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »

Besides the Fast, not much else.

Oh, and the visit from St. Nicholas, with the food drive and the reenactment of Arius.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:05:35 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

they do the parakleisis and the akathist (to xc) every  wed. and fri., respectively, around here. it's an old custom.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »

they do the parakleisis and the akathist (to xc) every  wed. and fri., respectively, around here. it's an old custom.

That's great!

I've asked because I had known before my official conversion to Orthodoxy that this period of the Nativity Fast generally does not differ so much comparing with usual period as it's in Latin Tradition and it was one of the reasons to wait for conversion. That's why in some way this fast is the most difficult one. I'm also very interested in liturgics and I think the liturgical practices of this fast are most variable in various jurisdictions (traditions) comparing with other fasting periods.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »

The one parish that is attached to my family's parish.. the priest takes a baby Jesus infant doll and has the church process around with him and they go up the centre ailse and he puts the baby Jesus infant doll on the altar.  It's the priest's own made up practice which comes from pre-vatican 2 latin rite mass Nativity where the priest does this before sung low mass/high mass. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

The one parish that is attached to my family's parish.. the priest takes a baby Jesus infant doll and has the church process around with him and they go up the centre ailse and he puts the baby Jesus infant doll on the altar.  It's the priest's own made up practice which comes from pre-vatican 2 latin rite mass Nativity where the priest does this before sung low mass/high mass. 
LOL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »

Shocked

If it was done with an icon of the Nativity, it wouldn't surprise me. But how they can venerate (because in some way it's veneration) doll?! BTW, in my ex-Roman Catholic parish they still doing it.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

Shocked

If it was done with an icon of the Nativity, it wouldn't surprise me. But how they can venerate (because in some way it's veneration) doll?! BTW, in my ex-Roman Catholic parish they still doing it.

He teaches what he knows, Roman Catholicism.  And I am not joking. 

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »

Shocked

He teaches what he knows, Roman Catholicism.  And I am not joking.  Just because you are a priest in the Orthodox Church doesn't mean you went to seminary. 
Also at the family parish he makes up litany petitions.  He adds words to proper litanies.  At the other parish he serves they don't sing the Only Begotten Son etc...
At family parish they don't sing the tropar and kondak.  Someone reads it now.  I can on if you wish.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

He teaches what he knows, Roman Catholicism.  And I am not joking.  Just because you are a priest in the Orthodox Church doesn't mean you went to seminary. 
Also at the family parish he makes up litany petitions.  He adds words to proper litanies.  At the other parish he serves they don't sing the Only Begotten Son etc...
At family parish they don't sing the tropar and kondak.  Someone reads it now.  I can on if you wish.

Shocked again. I don't believe people accept it so easily, that nobody go over him to talk about it, to tell it's wrong. For sure if not all, the vast majority is aware of the fact some things are shortened and some added, so why nobody writes petition to the bishop? The omittion of the Only Begotten Son, troparions and kontakions is really serious issue.

I can say more: unfortunately, even if Orthodox priest had graduated from seminary, it does not mean he is aware of many liturgical aspects

Luckster
Double Dipper

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

reenactment of Arius.

What's this?
Tags: Advent St. Philip's 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: